VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone on here into Mountain biking? I've being up to Portuma forest park a few times the last few weeks. Nice track,just getting used to being back on the bike. Has anyone being up to Derroura trail in Galway?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Anyone on here into Mountain biking? I've being up to Portuma forest park a few times the last few weeks. Nice track,just getting used to being back on the bike. Has anyone being up to Derroura trail in Galway?
i went out to portumna forest park a good few times, it suited where i was at I: went out to portlick(outside glasson) a few times too,but not great. is derroura out tiwards spiddal?

·
Registered
97 Posts
That looks good alright. ah portlick isnt great really. i just went out a few times if i hadnt got the time to go out to portumna. its mostly flat, and the one trail that was worth cycling was only about a 10-15 minute loop.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
203 Posts
http://www.blessingbourne.com/estate_mountain_bike_trail.html

If you fancy a trip north this place is quite nice for a day out, it is well set out and suits all standards of cyclist from 7 year old up

we went with some friends on their £3000 full suspension bikes and even they had fun doing 4 or 5 laps going by the toughest routes

its down near the border in Fivemiletown

its only £4 per car load so dirt cheap for the day

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks for the link.That looks worth a trip up.
its not a down hill but it runs over rolling ground and is well laid out with a basic blue route and red more interesting loops off it,

he has put a lot of effort into it and all the trails are gravel

there are self catering chalets on site in the farmyard which can be hired for a night or two and its in walking distance of the village for pubs etc, friend of ours based their stag night there, cycled, bbq beer, pub, bit more cycling next day,

if you have a camper Im sure he would allow overnight camping for a small fee

·
Registered
58 Posts
I like that light..

Been about 10 years since I went night biking off road, it adds an whole new fear factor to the fast trails you thought you knew.

My mate who was always faster than me almost hit a deer that was quietly grazing on the trail..:eek:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I do loads of mountain biking, I live near derroura , it used to be excellent , it's about 16km with a good mix , and nearly all tight single track . How ever ,for the last year it has been getting rougher and rougher as it not receiving any maintenance whatsoever . A real pity.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lads, anyone up for a night cycle round the trails in Portuma. I've being messing around with the LED light lately and happy with it.
Give me a shout if your interested :).

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
I've used one of those lights this winter. Been out in proper muddy wet conditions and got it soaked and covered in carp, must have been recharged 20 times or so now, excellent for the cash. Just a slightly narrow beam, so find I have to alter the angle on the bar a little for faster / slower sections.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice find there interslice! Just found a link to the trail on trailbadgers
http://www.trailbadger.com/trails/mayo/cong-woods/
Worth a trip up before it gets into the silly season with toursits.

I found a downhill track by accident on Castle Hacket, Belcare outside Tuam last weekend. I didnt have the bike with me at the time but it looks hairy :eek:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Nice find there interslice! Just found a link to the trail on trailbadgers
http://www.trailbadger.com/trails/mayo/cong-woods/
Worth a trip up before it gets into the silly season with toursits.

I found a downhill track by accident on Castle Hacket, Belcare outside Tuam last weekend. I didnt have the bike with me at the time but it looks hairy :eek:
Theres no roads to cross because the guinness family built tunells under the road so they wouldn't interupt their hunting.

Looked like lads had made a few jumps about the place too. Good call on getting up there before the tourist season starts. Must get my bike sorted.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was out at castle hacket (Knockma hill as its also called) a good few times last year but crashed the bike and broke collar bone again so waiting for operation but it's a great track. Very fast and plenty of big jumps but be warned it will bite you in the if your not careful! I know two other guys who who broke collar bones and another who dislocated shoulder. All good fun. Ha ha. :eek:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts