VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
aka, cmp260
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 2006 t5 LWB with 250k miles on it. It still felt pretty tight. I had to selll it. Now Im looking for a t4 due to cashflow issues.
Ive been restricting myself to 1999 and newer to test drive but they all feel so bloody sloppy. Ive driven about 6 so far and the brakes always feel spongy and the clutch sloppy.

I know the T5 is supposed to be more carlike than the T4, previously I put this opinon down to the cable gear shift on the dash instead of floor and perhaps improved suspension but now I dont know. Are the brakes and clutch this bad on all t4s? :confused:

i do realise they are older vans but surely it cant make that much diff?

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
I would say no.

But as the clutch is hydro operated it will fell different to a cable operated one.

Brakes mine are fine but drum do change the feel.

I would say that the ones you are trying are all just getting to the point where work is needed to be done..

Try some older and newer and see if you can feel a difference as they should have had part changed or still in good condition.

·
aka, cmp260
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i thought post 99 t4 would have disk brakes all around? are all t4s rear drum then? and is t4 clutch cable operated?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
My '99 T4 is disks all round - the 2.5's were always disks I though.

Clutch is hydro.

Brakes are a little vague by 'new' car standard but can still tip the van on to it's nose if needs be..:D

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
.....I know the T5 is supposed to be more carlike than the T4, previously I put this opinon down to the cable gear shift on the dash instead of floor and perhaps improved suspension but now I dont know. Are the brakes and clutch this bad on all t4s? :confused:

i do realise they are older vans but surely it cant make that much diff?
It does make a huge difference :eek:

...... and I'm speaking from experience too;) x

1 - 6 of 6 Posts