VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says been down in South of France for nearly 3 weeks now. We took a non deet based mosquito repellent and still got chewed but not as badly as the days when we forgot to apply it! Bought some local stuff “Marie Rose” (thought it was prawn cocktail sauce :)) and that was even worse:(. Does anyone have any recommendations for an effective mosquito repellent?

·
Registered
49 Posts
not sure if its true but Listerine mouth wash in a spray bottle is supposed to work according to some suggestions on pinterest natural remedies.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Avon Skin so Soft original dry oil https://www.avon.uk.com/product/5072/skin-so-soft-original-dry-oil-spray?cb=171673363

'Apparenty' some special forces people use it!! Not a moxie repellant but works well for us/me - I'm one of those unlucky people that gets eaten alive, but not when using it.

A bit oily (even though its supposed to be dry, but if it does the job, so be it. Cheap too. I'm not keen on the scent, but better than deet!

Dont believe me? Do your research, loads of info on it.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I carry in my van a small wick flame burner. ( fire Torch ) Bought from the Range.
filled with citronella fuel. This has worked for me in the past.
Sat outside with this burning, smells ok. the mozzies apparently hate it.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Avon Skin so Soft original dry oil https://www.avon.uk.com/product/5072/skin-so-soft-original-dry-oil-spray?cb=171673363

'Apparenty' some special forces people use it!! Not a moxie repellant but works well for us/me - I'm one of those unlucky people that gets eaten alive, but not when using it.

A bit oily (even though its supposed to be dry, but if it does the job, so be it. Cheap too. I'm not keen on the scent, but better than deet!

Dont believe me? Do your research, loads of info on it.
Wow, just told the missus about this, apparently we tried it years ago when we camped in a tent (good old days:)) and it didn’t work:*
I’m like a magnet for gnats, I have my own small cloud above my head at times (I do shower daily and use deodorant), maybe I should skip washing and see if body odour scares em off!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Once read about marmite being a replant so looked this up for you

Marmite as insect repellent
It's a natural insect repellent
After you eat Marmite, its vitamin B makes its way to your bloodstream and your sweat. Mosquitoes don't like vitamin B and will give you a wide berth, it is claimed. No study has proven this. But if you're someone who is plagued by mosquitoes, it's worth a go.30 Jul 2017

Try this on toast or put a spoon full in to hot water and drink

"It's only the help that matters"

·
Registered
228 Posts
Wow, just told the missus about this, apparently we tried it years ago when we camped in a tent (good old days:)) and it didn’t work:*
I’m like a magnet for gnats, I have my own small cloud above my head at times (I do shower daily and use deodorant), maybe I should skip washing and see if body odour scares em off!
As I say, it works for me..... maybe formula has changed?
They are attracted to perfume/aftershave too :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Changa’s right, Avon skin so soft is the DEF the oneT: but make sure you get the bottle with the jo joba ingredient in itT: I’m a carp fisherman and used to get eaten alive down by the lakes I fished but since I found this I’ve never had 1 bite:eek: I’ve seen mozzies land on my skin and take back off as they really hate the jojoba (the Africans use it in the jungles so must be good)! If you are unlucky and do get bitten “tiger balm” is excellent as it stops the itching and stops any swelling fastA:

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Ultrasonic Mosquito watch.. no chemicals.. makes the noise of a male mosquito of a dragonfly to scare the female mosquitoes away, they are the ones that suck your blood..

Remember that your skin is your third lung, anything you put on it, insecticides etc , goes into your blood..

·
Registered
292 Posts
As I say, it works for me..... maybe formula has changed?
They are attracted to perfume/aftershave too :)
Yes, This is my wifes new thing, Just came back from Corfu and it worked like a dream, plus you smell lovely.....!T:

·
Registered
297 Posts
someone mentioned vitamin B in marmite.

actually, it is a B complex you need. just get good quality pills from internet or high street health shop and you are sorted. added benefits of vitamin B complex can be found all over the internet. and its natural

·
Registered
663 Posts
someone mentioned vitamin B in marmite.

actually, it is a B complex you need. just get good quality pills from internet or high street health shop and you are sorted. added benefits of vitamin B complex can be found all over the internet. and its natural
We tried B12 tablets last summer and unfortunately they didn't work. We went back to a spray on type repellant.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Once read about marmite being a replant so looked this up for you

Marmite as insect repellent
It's a natural insect repellent
After you eat Marmite, its vitamin B makes its way to your bloodstream and your sweat. Mosquitoes don't like vitamin B and will give you a wide berth, it is claimed. No study has proven this. But if you're someone who is plagued by mosquitoes, it's worth a go.30 Jul 2017

Try this on toast or put a spoon full in to hot water and drink

"It's only the help that matters"

Suddenly insect bites become the more attractive option.

Rhys

1 - 20 of 22 Posts