VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Back in January I split up with my girlfriend, so the next day I went out and bought this with my hard earned LOL:

2.5 tdi (88 bhp) with 44k on the clock :ILU:

First thing to get done was the sound system, as I thought the standard outfit was a bit poor.

Fitted some vibe slick 40's into the dash and then did the headunit

Jigsaw blades were perfect for removing the old unit.

I then put in the new unit a nice shiny Alpine Ipod one that I got on sale from Halfords, on advice from the forum the unit went straight in swapping the red and yellow wires around.

I then bought these - vibe slick system package 2.1 £175 - good deal I thought

Highly recommended although the sub enclosure is an awkward shape for fitting into the van, am planning on scrapping it and incorporating the speaker into the wheelarch once I have ply lined the van.

I then got an intelligent split charge system and 85 ah battery to run a small fridge off and also my amplifier. The battery went under the passenger seat.

Notice one of the 6x9's is squeezed infront of the battery, had some 6x9 boxes which a took apart to leave only the front faces, and then wedged in infront of the battery, I also did the same under drivers seat. The sound quality is pretty good.

I mounted the amplifier on a piece of ply that sits under the drivers seat inbetween the bolts so that it cant go anywhere, my rca leads are far too long!

I didnt really know where to put the subwoofer, so as a tempory measure I bungeed it up the load hook behind the drivers seat, will be making a new enclosure in one of the wheel arch boxes this summer. Will need to do some serious sound proofing as the drivers side window sounds like it is going to fall out when I have the music turned up..

The back of the van is completly bare atm but my dad ( a retired builder) has loads of insulation and flashing tape in his shed, so will be insulating and sound proofing and then boarding and carpeting. I dont intend on doing a full conversion as the van is for transporting bikes primarily.

I then changed my Insurance provider as I wasnt allowed to do mods due to my age (21) went with Brentacre who seem really good.

Ordered some clear front lenses and red/smoked rear clusters.

I think the rear clusters look a bit naff at the moment, but will look better when the van has been lowered, happening next week :D. For some reason the van is fitted with the heavy duty rear springs even though its an 888 special, which explains why it looks like a tractor!

I am planning on blacking out all the badges front and back

Still dont know if I need amber indicator bulbs for the rear lights, there are no orange filters in the new lenses..

Got some alloys off the classifieds section on here, wont be fitting for a while until I have had the wheel geometry reset after lowering, undecided on whether to refurbish them as the laquer is peeling. Am tempted to paint them black, but think this might look a bit plain. They are Audi Star 17 x 7.5 J - really wanted some BBS's but funds would not allow :(

Also planning on putting one of those rs style tailgate spoilers you can get from tidy t's and paint it black.

Will update with more pictures as things get done, its early days yet but am loving the van T:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hi, van looks cool, whats the Alpine head unit like as i was thinking of getting that very one. thanks

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Its an alpine ida x-100 although I dont think they make it anymore - if you can find one get one! the x-305 is the new equivalent. I really like it, easy to use, sounds great, and fits in with the rest of the dash pretty well with the blue and red illumination. Anyone who ever gets in the van always comments on how good is looks

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Then got some 225 50 17 98w tyres fitted to the wheels and then got the van on some -50mm avo springs

Looks alot better now :D

·
Registered
609 Posts
You're right T4V, Scarab green is the colour of choice for Glasgow council.

Although, Mr Fizik doesn't have a copy of the Daily record shoved down the front of the dash and he probably moved all the ginga bottles from under the seats when the speakers were fitted.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope I the van was actually from Liverpool LOL: Fitted a vr6 splitter today, think it looks sweet although dunno how long it will last I:

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
looking good!!

Loving the ICE!! wanted to get one of them there alpine units but not been to sure about them!! Cant go wrong with Vibe! T:

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
looking good!!

Loving the ICE!! wanted to get one of them there alpine units but not been to sure about them!! Cant go wrong with Vibe! T:
Cheers matey, am following your 20v T thread with interest! I like the headunit has plenty of adjustment and has 24 bit dac but the only thing is that if you have alot of music on your ipod it takes a long time to find songs/artists as the scroll wheel doesnt allow mega fast scrolling like on an actual ipod so playlists are essential

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey man,

Whats the ride quality like with your wheel/spring set-up? I was thinking about 18's and a 50mm drop but a few people have said that the ride quality suffers with the lower profile tyres. I like the stance you've got on your van so this might be the way to go.....

Cheers Nick

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey man,

Whats the ride quality like with your wheel/spring set-up? I was thinking about 18's and a 50mm drop but a few people have said that the ride quality suffers with the lower profile tyres. I like the stance you've got on your van so this might be the way to go.....

Cheers Nick
I run 17 inch wheels so the ride quality is slightly better than it would be with 18 inchers. On the whole its pretty good though, can be quite crashy over potholes but thats because the suspension is lowered, and I havent changed the shocks. Go for it the improvement in handling is well worth it, and I am guessing the roads in France are alot better than here so you shouldnt have many problems with it T: The front is about an inch lower than the back

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Got a shiny new spoiler today from t4srus, and very pleased with the fit of it, have just gaffer taped it on whilst its sat on drive whilst i decide whether I should paint it or not, pretty sure Im going to leave it black though, shame i dont have the money to paint the roof black up to the door tops, mmmm:cool:

My dad saw it and the first thing he said was it looks like a mazda bongo, they all have them spoilers! told him to wash out his mouth with soap! I think some black side bars and some mudflaps and the outside will be done, have ply lined and insulated the inside, will post the pics when I have done the dreaded carpeting too

Let me know what you think about the spoiler, not quite 100% sure about it, but think it could be a grower, just dont want to stick it on and then regret it.... with it not being painted it might look like a bit of an afterthought:confused:

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bit of an update to my van, got some black amg reps rear et35 8.5j front et35 8j fitted with 225 40 18 tyres.

Then decided to paint the lips green on one side and yellow on the other, in the end i painted both sides green, looks much better. Had the front taken down a bit more on the torsion bars and fitted lowering plates on the rear, gives the stance I want now but not far off the bumpstops up front, oh well!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Done a few bits to the van, did a better job of spraying the wheels, lowered a bit more, and sprayed the badges, also carpeted the inside with sage green carpet from megavan mats. pretty much how i want her now :D

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Really like that mate.
Thought about colour coding the bumpers?
Looking sweet T:
I have but then id be worried about scratching them, something ive been thinking about though, yours is a very nice looking van btw T:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts