VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Great thread. Can you tell me if the speedo will work correctly? Or will you have to edit the table in the eeprom? I need a new cluster, did have a blue cluster but the lcds failed. I tried a blue passat cluster but couldnt get the speedo to read correctly.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I honestly don't know, but i'll watch your thread with interest. The new style cluster looks good with the centre display. Would be a nice mod, i don't know the difference between the speedo pickups.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
You may not to edit the eeprom, you might be able to recode the speedo in VCDS - that said when I was running standard size wheels the T4 speedo drive and vRS cluster worked together perfectly.

jase - I've got a T4 blue cluster for sale if you're interested.

law - I forget the exact details, iirc I took a feed off the existing brake light switch for the one circuit and used the me7 loom for the other brake and clutch switches.

·
Registered
634 Posts
D-9 I just bough one on ebay! Gutted, been looking for months. I even tried surface mount soldering a new LCD driver chip to my old cluster, all went well till I pulled some of the tracks off with the solder wick! A:

So, you say that a VRs cluster speedo works with with the T4? Besides all of the immob coding to overcome was there much more work?

·
Registered
634 Posts
D-9 I just bough one on ebay! Gutted, been looking for months. I even tried surface mount soldering a new LCD driver chip to my old cluster, all went well till I pulled some of the tracks off with the solder wick! A:

So, you say that a VRs cluster speedo works with with the T4? Besides all of the immob coding to overcome was there much more work?

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
So I'm running the vrs engine too... I'll write a build thread at some point.

The fascia of the t4 binnacle clips onto the vrs cluster so it fits as standard and there's no reason why it wouldn't work in a t4, although the redline would be in the wrong place on a diesel. Imobiliser is pretty straight forward, although along the way I wrote some software to process immo dumps and let me change vin, pair clusters, etc. But if I was fitting to a standard t4 Id just leave the seperate t4 immo box in place and remove the immo led from the vrs cluster board.

See here: http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=2521223

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
law - I forget the exact details, iirc I took a feed off the existing brake light switch for the one circuit and used the me7 loom for the other brake and clutch switches.
Dammit. The fact that I'm using the old loom is doing me no favours. The most annoying part is they worked fine before wired in few other lines to the ECU.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
It seems like the painful way of doing it, but it took me an optimistic 8 days to chop the complete car loom down until I had something that was just the engine/clocks and plugged into the T4 fuseboard..

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Definitely. The initial plan was to create an adaptor harness, but after finding out the differences in grounding I started chopping and never looked back. Though I'm close now so swapping out the harness seems a bit counter intuitive. I am thinking about taking the fusebox out and sorting it all out. The Sigma sg20 needs to come out as well - that thing has given me nothing but grief.

Anyhow, it appears that my CAN wiring seems to be up to task (so far), I've got my glow plug, cruise and engine management lights:

But I can't seem to shift the ABS and airbag comms. codes from the ECU. I can only assume that these have to be deleted from the flash as per the code for my non-existant N239 valve:

Had I not been on the sauce last night, I'm sure I'd have sorted that by now; but thinking is a bit of a problem for me right now. Even VAG Commander doesn't want to play ball anymore!

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Ive got the same issue, airbag/abs errors in the ECU. Hoping I can code them out, but I cant find info on the AUQ soft coding table, so I may have to trail/error or edit them out in the flash.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
So this turned up today

Does anyone out there with a later 2.5 know where the wiring goes to from the throttle pot? It doesn't appear to be on the engine harness as per the 1Z and I can't find it on vagcat anywhere.

The 6 pin flat socket appears to be slightly smaller than the standard 6 pin connectors. Absolute pain.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)

Swapped the brake and clutch pedals in to the 2.5tdi pedal box. I guess the mk3 style pot and other stuff may be up for sale soon.

Question is, will the Octavia throttle pedal mount onto the bracket without fettling?

P.S. This is another job that shouldn't be undertaken in the house!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Balls.

To be honest, I should have known, given that the octavia throttle is the same as that on golf PD130. The one good thing to come out of it was I now have a connector to add to the loom (a rather expensive one at that!). Back the the new style T4 throttle. There are resistance differences between the two pots, but whether there is some kind of compatibility remains to be seen (excuse the filthy carpet!).

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I think I'm starting to get the hang of this cluster EEPROM business:

Though it is a shame I took the time to figure out and edit the addresses to set it up as a new cluster when there's an option in VAG EEPROM Programmer that'll do it for you! LOL:

The ECU EEPROM is whole different matter. First I thought I had bricked the damn thing, then it came back to life, but now the my scantool dongle and app reports that the VIN has changed to some odd hex looking value :*

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
It was all going so well...

Immobiliser issues. It appears that the cluster doesn't want to adapt to the ECU. I've tried editing the EEPROM so the VIN and immo identifier match the ECU EEPROM, to what I think is no joy. What I get from the adaptation screen is this:

What I find strange is the fact that I have attempted to adapt the keys (with ID48 transponders) more than once. Are these a 1 time affair? EDIT - Yes. Yes they are.

One thing I have noticed is that I've stopped getting the 'IMMOBIL. ACTIVATED' warning on the MFA screen, and the 'car key' light flashes twice as fast

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s164/lawanderson/T4/34F9A5FB-6F8E-4565-8BAD-C00E0BF3B036.mp4

Whenever I do try to adapt the keys, the immo warning seems to disappear until you turn off and turn on the ignition again. It won't start though - that being said, given the plume of black smoke that does come out, I'm not sure I want it to start!

Here's some more measuring blocks for good measure:

Stumped. Totally.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Thought I'd approach this with a fresh mind (after I had bought five new transponder that I probably don't need!)

Had a look at http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/Immo3-measuring-blocks.html and everything seems to be fine, apart from the engine start parameter. I guess the issue at hand here is given that I've messed with the EEPROM, there's no hard and fast way to figure out whether the cluster and ECU adaptation was successful. That being said, changing all that info and not correcting a checksum could cause all this; but surely the cluster would throw a wobbly if it had issues with an incorrect checksum?

Returning the cluster to status 4 didn't seem to work, using both my manual method and the automated function in the VAG EEPROM Programmer. Given that ALL this data is stored in EEPROM, I find it hard to believe that it can't be set back to time 0. The same for the ECU.

Looks like I have some research for today...

I'm slowly edging towards having the immo deleted; but the idea of having that light flashing and taunting me still doesn't bear thinking about!

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
So if you've messed with the cluster eeprom, you need to get it to recalculate the checksums, by resetting the soft coding (go into soft coding, enter the same number that is currently there, hit 'do it').

That said, Immo3 (ID48?) and newer chips cannot be paired to multiple cluster codes (immo code), so if your cluster code was 123456789, and they were paired to a cluster with that code, they could not be pared to one with a cluster code of 000000000. However, if you edit the cluster/immo code in both the ECU and cluster so it is 123456789 you could re-use the chip that has previously been paired with that.

I dont know what causes the cluster/ecu adaptation issue, I had that with my vRS cluster and ecu, ended up writing a tool to match a cluster with a ecu: http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=6134.15 (Also does a bunch of other cluster parsing). Never tried this with a diesel ecu eeprom, if you stick your eeprom dump on dropcanvas.com and PM me the link, I'll see if I can hack this into working with diesels too.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Nice work on that!

Ideally I'd like to change the VIN to that of my van. What I'll do is send you a link to an original and a modified one. Would you need the cluster dump as well?

As for the keys, there's definitely an issue there; I can't even remember to what cluster code they were paired to, though that shouldn't have changed as I don't recall touching it...

21 - 40 of 109 Posts