VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain (in laymans terms) the difference between the types of mountain bikes there are and the styles.

So far when i'm riding downhill my bike is a downhill bike and when i'm riding nice trails it's a trails bike. Perhaps, I:, I may be getting it a bit wrong.

In order to find out what it is that i like best and which type of bike to aim for can someone help, pay attention to the Laymans terms bit, thanks.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
There are lots of difference between a down hill bike and a trail bike ,rake angels and frame geometry and suspension types and set ups.

But in Layman's terms Unless your going to throw yourself off the side of a mountain on two wheels and had your brain sucked out first, it don't make s worth of difference LOL:

Hard tail full sus just get a bike that you like to ride T:

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
There are lots of difference between a down hill bike and a trail bike ,rake angels and frame geometry and suspension types and set ups.

But in Layman's terms Unless your going to throw yourself off the side of a mountain on two wheels and had your brain sucked out first, it don't make s worth of difference LOL:

Hard tail full sus just get a bike that you like to ride T:
Well said.A: Unless you want to race, biggest grin wins.

If you want to buy a bike and aren't sure what you need, decide what it is you mostly want to use it for and what your budget is, go to a proper bike shop or two and take it from there.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you want to buy a bike and aren't sure what you need, decide what it is you mostly want to use it for?
That's the bit I'm struggling with. The wheels on the bike go round and round :eek:LOL:

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Aside from the subtleties of frame geometry, it's a lot to do with the weight/build of the bike and the amount of suspension. In very rough layman's terms:

Cross country (XC) - light bikes with lower level of suspension (<120mm), quite often front suspension only
Downhill bike - Heavier, beefier bike with much more suspension (>160mm)
Trail bike somewhere in between ~140mm suspension.

As others have said, it depends what type of riding you are going to do, how far you are going to ride and how comfortable you want to be. Many people choose a do-it-all trail bike but others swear all their riding can be done on a hard tail.

Personally I got sick of being "all shook up" on an aluminium hard tail doing rocky descents so eventually I went for a full suspension trail bike - but then I like technical riding and downhills much more than cross-country marathons.

·
Registered
725 Posts
To be honest for most of dh courses in the uk a full dh rig is just overkill. Unless u will be ridin fort bill.

If u want something u can rag down hill and then pedal back up then aim for a bike with about 6" of rear travel. That's if u want a full sus.

I sold my dh bike a while back and now only ride my hartail everywhere. It's get used on some pretty harsh tracks where I wish I ha some rear travel but it still gets through it.

If its more xc then ur most probably better of with a hardtail.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With all this fine information comes even more questions.

I don't think a hardtail is the one for me, i need a bit of give when landing.

What i find on my current iron horse is that when i'm on a road, for example, it's like being on a camel, bloody up down up down.

How can this be minimised without a hardtail, which type of full suspension bike will be less bouncy, for want of a better term?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Some front forks have lockout, also some rear shocks have pro-pedal to minimise bounce when riding on the flat/uphill.

If yours is bouncing just riding on the flat that doesn't sound right (though it will do that if you are pedalling hard out of the saddle) though there will always be some feedback with a full suspension bike due to its very design.

What's your current bike? It sounds more like you would benefit from a better bike/better suspension rather than a different type of bike. Does your current bike have air forks and rear shock that might be a bit low on pressure?

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL: you what?

My current bike is an old halfords iron horse. Having written that it's been battered over the years and the only thing that has gone wrong was in the last couple of weeks when i mangled the derailleur.

On a serious note, I am aware that i could upgrade the shock absorber but it weighs a ton and i want something newer and lighter and a bit tougher.

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
I'm closely following this thread in the vague hope of learning something.......All ive got so far is....................................................................................................... The wheels on the bike go round and round LOL:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Its a money thing ...

£0 - £1000 Hard tail. There are Full Sus in this bracket but will be overweight and . Unable to take abuse, bits on etc...

£1000 and up... Full Suspension.

Go to your local shop, sit on a few. Take a note of the names, models, buy a mag, look on fleebay....

Avoid Halford's.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Agree with SLAM, find out what bike you want then pick up a bargain on ebay. So many bikes on ebay have had very little use because people get talked into buying very good bikes because they are on a 10 min health kick then they use them a handful of times (normally on the road) then put them in the shed. Read up on what all the names on parts mean, just because it says shimano doesn't mean it fantastic, they do a budget range as well as the top end kit. I bought my Genesis Titanium hardtail this year. It was a £3800 custom build and the guy let it go 9mths later for £1500! I'm sure the boardman range is good enough, some good components on the top end bikes, but your paying full RRP, and they're are better bikes out there. If your after a full sus that doesn't bob (bounce up and down!!) to much I can highly recommend Marin Mount Visions and Whyte 120's (Same deigner) Good luck T:

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Try sites like PinkBike or Bikesoup, both sites are used by guys and girls who ride regularly and reduce the likelihood of a stolen bike. Due to the value of these bikes nowadays watch out for dodgy deals, remember if it is too good to be true then it usually is.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Ok, here comes a more definitive answer for all your bike based questions.

Downhill or DH bike. With all bike nower days, wait is no longer the defining line. A DH bike is basically a slack set of angles that enables it to have greater stability on fast decents and tricky terrain. It will also have more travel than any other bike IE- cross country. The travel ranges for 8 inches to 10 inches on most DH bikes today. It will consist of 9-10 gears on the rear and a single chainring up front with a chain tensioning guide on this as well. It will also have a set of triple crowned forks like what you'd see on motor bikes.

Here's an example of a DH bike in the link below.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=61543&scid=1100&scname=Mountain

On the page you'll find a video on the right hand side showing what the average DH bike is used for.

Cross country or XC bikes. More commonly used by day to day riders. Less suspension travel in comparison to the DH bike. From 3 inches to 6 inches. The market has evolved so much in the last five years that new disciplines have been founded but this is mainly by companies trying to sell new products. Within the XC bubble you'll find the conventional race styled bike

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCMain.jsp?scid=1100

Which will be shorter travel and either a full suspension bike or a hardtail (suspension forks only).

The enduro/ all mountain AM. More travel, mainly around the 150mm (5-6 inches) mark. This is more suited to riding up the mountain to then throw yourself down in a downhill style. It's basically a do it all style of bike that you are confident to go crazy on by still have the comfort and durability or riding all day on. This is difficult to do on a DH bike due to the geometory and set up of the suspension.

The bike park/Free ride bike FR

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCMain.jsp?scid=1100

Tis is mainly a slightly shorter travel DH bike. Slightly more agile and not as sturdy as the DH. Will have normal single crown forks but these will have a greater travel range than XC forks. Between 6-7inches.

Ok well hopefully this will help explain a bit more about the world that is mountain bikes. If there's still concussion, feel free to ask away or PM me and I'll answer it on here for everyone to read.

eBay is a good place to look but be aware that you'll have the usual idiots trying. T rob you blind for something that's old, tattered and not worth the cash. Pinkbike is a good site to research on. If you need help finding a bike for your needs feel free to ask me and I'll point You in the right direction or even help you out with a few contacts In The industry.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Well sounds like everything should of been answered above.

Once u know th type of riding u will be doing mainly then u can whittle it down to specific bikes from each company.

It not worth anyone reccomending an actual bike for you for ur specific use as what is right for one person maybe wrong for another.

Head to some local bike shops which sell the bikes u like or if u know someone with them even better. Give them a test ride an go from there.

I you can go to a demo day the. U should be able to try quite a few different bikes and the same course to give an even better comparison.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi Gazmataz... You work for Specialized I:

Just for the record I have a Trek 6700 2010 ( this is a hardtail ) - £400 off eBay... showroom condition, recpts etc...

And shopping now for an Orange 5 ( Full sus but not extreme downhill ) Lots of choice... its been a decade since I was really into it, there is a million options.... If any one needs advice, err... call Gazmataz :D

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Avoid Halford's.[/QUOTE

Boardmans no good then:*
Until I had the time to get more seriously into mountain biking it had been something I did ( big mountains in uk, all day cross country rides etc) when I wasn't windsurfing, or surfing. Until 2008 I'd ridden a gradually upgraded 1993 Carrera ( halfords) hardtail. Admitedly, the Giant Trance I now ride ( again now much upgraded) is a great bike and designed for more technical stuff then the old hardtail, but it's hard to say tat the old bike was bad. Just older and things have moved on technically.

I went with a mate the other day who had a grand to spend at Halfords via his company cycle to work thing. The Boardman hartail he bought is superb, it has a high spec and rides very nicely.

Would I buy a Halfords bike today ? Probably not; it would be like having a Mondeo instead of an Audi a4. The ford will do just the same for a lot less, but still be a ford.

Starting out though, it's hard to knock Boardman or even some of the Voodoo bikes from the big H.

A couple of the lads at our local Halfords are serious bike nuts and helpful. Some of them aren't. I certainly won't buy parts at Halfords, because even if they actually have what you want, it'll be cheaper online at Merlin or Chain reaction, or even at you local real bike shop.;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts