VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've fitted the new derailleur this morning but my gears are back to front :confused:

No matter what i do the won't go the right way, i.e 1 through 7 is actually going 7 through 1. The chain is threaded the right way the cable can only go in one way there's nothing else to adjust. The high lows only line the gear change onto the sprockets.

I'm totally baffled (although it will turn out to be something obvious and simple) i was so confused i thought they might have sold me a left hand drive derailleur LOL:

See i'm totally off my head on this!

Please help????

*<:)>

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
i run em and think they are best option T:

to set, put chain on biggest cassette ring at back pull cable tight, tighten and off ya go...as you pull your forefinger towards you your chain will climb the cassette

·
Registered
539 Posts
I had this snag on a claude butler i used to have. See explaination below

High normal or top normal rear derailleurs return the chain to the smallest sprocket on the cassette when no cable tension is applied.[9] This is the regular pattern used on most Shimano mountain, all Shimano road, and all SRAM and Campagnolo derailleurs. In this condition, spring pressure takes care of the easier change to smaller sprockets. In road racing the swiftest gear changes are required on the sprints to the finish line, hence high-normal types, which allow a quick change to a higher gear, remain the preference.

Low normal or rapid rise rear derailleurs return the chain to the largest sprocket on the cassette when no cable tension is applied. While this was once a common design for rear derailleurs, it is relatively uncommon today.[10] In mountain biking and off-road cycling, the most critical gear changes occur on uphill sections, where riders must cope with obstacles and difficult turns while pedaling under heavy load. This derailleur type provides an advantage over high normal derailleurs because gear changes to lower gears occur in the direction of the loaded spring, making these shifts easier during high load pedaling.

Hope this helps*<:)>

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What rear mech is it?
Shimano, unsure now what model, but the guy in the shop, very helpful with indepth explanation of how my cheap bike had limited options.

think you have bought a rapid rise derailleur :D
Quite probably but as above the guy knew what it was for and matched it my old one.

i run em and think they are best option T:

to set, put chain on biggest cassette ring at back pull cable tight, tighten and off ya go...as you pull your forefinger towards you your chain will climb the cassette

My gear changer on the bars works like this. Top leaver takes chain back up through the gears to first by clicking lever towards rider. The lower lever brings the gears down through to seventh when the lever is pushed away from the rider.

Can i make this work as it should or will i need to return it?

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Shimano kit will usually have the part no. stamped on it and most of the fitting / fettling instructions should be online. :* Swapped an old LX for SLX shadow the other week. Clear instructions in Shimano box, but also online.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After putting my foot through the shed wall I decided to leave it and take it to a bike mechanic, thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
took it to halfords today and he spent about 5 - 10 mins sorting it out.

Gear set up £10, shed repair £40, experience priceless!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts