VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody recommend some decent mountain bike trails within 1-1.30 hours of Bury/Burnley?

Due to the nipper I can only manage day trips at the moment so a few of us are looking into places to bike for the day. We're probably classed as intermediate riders to be fair. Confident on reds, but blacks are possibly best left alone for now.

The places I know about which are accessible for a day trip are Llandegla (went the other week, loved it), Grizedale Forest and Gisburn Forest.

Are there any others I need to know about? Maybe in West Yorkshire?

Realistically it's gonna be a day trip maybe once a month until the baby's older.

Any suggestions welcome.

TIA T:

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks dt5714, although I probably should have mentioned that Lee Quarry is half a mile from my house. I mentionedBury/Burnley as they are the nearest major towns, didn't think many people would have heard of Bacup!

In fact was up in Cragg Quarry and Lee Quarry at weekend.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Thanks dt5714, although I probably should have mentioned that Lee Quarry is half a mile from my house. I mentionedBury/Burnley as they are the nearest major towns, didn't think many people would have heard of Bacup!

In fact was up in Cragg Quarry and Lee Quarry at weekend.
Never been up to Lee/Cragg, need to do as it's prob only 45 mins for me.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Worth a visit.

There's a pub at the bottom of Lee Quarry too which is ideal for a post ride pint. We hand the bikes over to the guy from Muc-Off and he cleans them whilst we have a drink! :cheers

More often than not there's a bacon butty van too.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
For trail centres, Whinlatter (just outside Keswick) should be just about within 1.5 hours from you?

For natural riding, there must be a whole host of possibilities in the Yorkshire Dales or the Lakes, maybe even the Peak District?

·
Registered
555 Posts
i was going to mention lee quary also the Mary townley loop if you fancy a good leg burning hill try rooley moor road or also known as rake head lane

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rakehead Lane, I used to live off there. Nightmare trying to get up there after a night out!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Have you tried Clayton Vale?

It's a purpose made trail like at Llandegla or Grizedale. Not too challenging but you could always go round it twice! It starts at the velodrome in Manchester.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you tried Clayton Vale?

It's a purpose made trail like at Llandegla or Grizedale. Not too challenging but you could always go round it twice! It starts at the velodrome in Manchester.
Never heard of it before. Looks like it's worth a visit though! Thanks.

·
Registered
144 Posts
If you can make a longer day, then the trail centres near Dumfries are great, I.e. Mabie (bermtastic) and Foresto f Ae.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you can make a longer day, then the trail centres near Dumfries are great, I.e. Mabie (bermtastic) and Foresto f Ae.
They may be worth a visit when I visit the Outlaws as they live near Penrith. T:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Never heard of it before. Looks like it's worth a visit though! Thanks.
No worries. It's close to where I live so I've been a few times. I think it only opened earlier this year.

Llandegla is a longer, more challenging ride but it's also a couple of hours each way to get there and back! Much better to go to Clayton Vale and do a couple of circuits. :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
The only other trail centres I can think of that are do-able in a day are Cannock and those around Betsy Coed.

There's a lot of other 'local' rides that are worth finding. Rivington and Peak District aren't too far from you.

We ride alot around Rivington, Heally Nab trails, Winter Hill (see the Northern Collective link on my signature) as well as trips to the Peaks and various trail centres. Come across for a ride, Wednesday nights, or there's usually a few out over the weekend. It's a good mix, we set off from the pub and it always ends with a cheeky beer!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The only other trail centres I can think of that are do-able in a day are Cannock and those around Betsy Coed.

There's a lot of other 'local' rides that are worth finding. Rivington and Peak District aren't too far from you.

We ride alot around Rivington, Heally Nab trails, Winter Hill (see the Northern Collective link on my signature) as well as trips to the Peaks and various trail centres. Come across for a ride, Wednesday nights, or there's usually a few out over the weekend. It's a good mix, we set off from the pub and it always ends with a cheeky beer!
Cheers for that mongoose94 - I'll have a good nosey at your FB page for inspiration too!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts