VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

MTB van layout ideas...im stumped!

15K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  MM1970 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Does anyone use their van for mountain bike trips?

I have just got a LWB T5 factory kombi for biking, fits 5 DH bike and kit in the back with space for 5 guys in the front with plenty of space T: .

The tricky bit is, has anyone managed to maintain this load carrying while also having the ability to convert to a camper for non biking trips?

I was thinking of a R&R bed on rails, the only problem is most R&R beds are far too deep and would not allow bikes (especially DH bikes) to fit in straight behind the seats...:confused:

Just to through another spanner in the works, it would be nice to be able to have the R&R bed set up and also be able to keep a bike inside the van.

Ive been playing with this idea for a while now and have only come up with some quite compromised plans. I was thinking either:

1. Standard seats on rails so they can be moved back to put a table in, but not so far back that 1 or 2 bikes couldn't stay behind at an angle and then a pop top for sleeping, problem is a pop top would be zero insulation in winter.

2. Slim line 3/4 R&R bed on rails so when set up a bike could sit along side and as above the seats could be moved back when only a couple of bikes are on board, the problem with this only leaves 4 seats for the rest of the time and also the slim line R&R beds aren't that slim and would mean bikes would have to be at a slight angle.

I like idea 2 at the moment but don't think ill find a suitable bed design that doesn't take up half the load space...

Anyone got some clever ideas that they have used to make a good bike van come camper?

Anyone know how much space there is left in front/behind a R&R bed in a LWB when its set up?

I know, not asking for much! I:

Any ideas welcome!

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you thought about using the reimo bike and surf bed which is removable and allows you to keep your kombi seats. So for your big mtb trips take the bed out - clips into kombi load lashing points. So your load area is unchanged.

Bed can then go in and can either by 3/4 width and allow a bike to be stored down one side or you can have a full width if you buy the additional add on extender.

A cheaper alternative is exploria who make a similar kombi bed - but I don't think it comes in 3/4 size.

This won't solve the table issue for you - you can fit a table but it doesn't give much space between the front seat and the kombi rear seats - although reimo's website does have some pics.

#10 ·
Have you thought about using the reimo bike and surf bed which is removable and allows you to keep your kombi seats. So for your big mtb trips take the bed out - clips into kombi load lashing points. So your load area is unchanged.
These look good, I’ll do some more research on these, cheers! T:

I've ordered the same LWB Kombi (due in May) to get five bikes and their riders in. Having never tested this out it's good to hear that they fit. I'm guessing you put the bikes in alternate directions? I'm also guessing you don't have to turn any of the bars being DH rigs? If you have any pictures of them loaded I would be grateful, as I'm trying to design a rack that would fit in the back and pull out to load the bikes.
M
Ill take some pics this weekend and post them on here, my AM bike fits in straight (nukeproof Mega) and so dose my DH bike (Scott Gambler) but one of my mates DH bikes which is a large Kona Operator has to sit at a slight angle. If you have a long DH rig i would expect that you will nee to set it at a slight angle but its only fractional. And yes, the bikes go in alternate directions and as you say, being DH bikes there is no bar turning option (or at least not easily!).

This is what i was planning on doing in mine, had a quick measure up and if the bulkhead goes just in front of the rear archs there should be enough space for a bed in the front section and 3 - 4 biks in the back.

Cheers for the links, I wanted to stay away from having to unbolt the front wheels and wanted the ability to just chuck the bikes in the back. what can I say, I’m lazy! I:

Fit a poptop = bed upstairs and bikes/seats as is?
This was an option, just chilly in winter!*<:)>

Look at the Amdro Conversion. I have a shed load of space in the back - think four bikes head to tail or 4 kites two boards and a bunch of wetsuits. The neat bit is you can have a bed or seat with double length table and cook standing outside.

It will also take full length objects e.g. surf boards under the seat.
Have a look at the photos on my profile. I have a swb that I primarily use to carry mtb's but I also wanted to use as a camper. The kitchen pod and the bed can both be removed in under 5 minutes without the need to use any tools. Although, I can get three mtb's in when the kitchen pod and bed are installed. Toby at T4Life did the conversion with the exception of the bed.
I had a look at your pics, it’s an awesome idea to keep the space while having a bed etc A:, just not so good in a kombi set up.

I think the problem is i want to find a solution that’s perfect in all situations, will probably have to come to terms with the fact i can be that greedy at some point! :blg As i will be insulating and ply lining etc. this month and not worrying about the interior lay out really until next month i can live in denial for a little longer!

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, please keep them coming!

#3 ·
I've ordered the same LWB Kombi (due in May) to get five bikes and their riders in. Having never tested this out it's good to hear that they fit. I'm guessing you put the bikes in alternate directions? I'm also guessing you don't have to turn any of the bars being DH rigs? If you have any pictures of them loaded I would be grateful, as I'm trying to design a rack that would fit in the back and pull out to load the bikes. It's difficult with out the actual van and I only have two months to get it made before our first big trip.

I'm not sure how you are going to fit all the bikes and a bed in unless you're 5'0" and can lie across the width of the vanI:? Do the front seats fold flat like the rears (such a novice)? Can you not then make a bed from the front section leaving the bikes in the rear? It depends on how luxurious you want your camping experience I guess (can you even use the words camping and luxurious in the same sentence)?

M

#9 ·
Have a look at the photos on my profile. I have a swb that I primarily use to carry mtb's but I also wanted to use as a camper. The kitchen pod and the bed can both be removed in under 5 minutes without the need to use any tools. Although, I can get three mtb's in when the kitchen pod and bed are installed. Toby at T4Life did the conversion with the exception of the bed.

#11 ·
Hi mate

My first thoughts were to fit a pop top for sleeping arrangements and a kitchen pod to go in the rear when the bikes aren't in but doesn't give a nice layout downstairs when camping

Thinking a bit more, what about getting a full width 3-seat R&R bed on rails, then swap the double passenger seat for a single with drivers and passenger on swivels. When you go biking with the lads slide the bed to the front with the bikes in the rear. When you're camping slide the bed to the rear. You could either put a small pod behind the drivers seat or a small low level pod right at the back accessed from the rear doors. Both would give a much nicer layout when camping and you'd still have space in the van for a bike overnight

Personally I have a LWB van and am going for the traditional layout with a RIB R&R bed toward the rear (about 2.5 ft off the rear door) and cupboards down the right hand side. I'll be putting my bike in the back sideways with the front wheel off (dropping one axle is not that much of a pain). I'm going to fit a low level door in the cupboard at the right hand side to allow the rear wheel to slide into when the bike is in there but still have cupboards when I need. I've spec'd the 200mm slider on the RIB bed so most of the time when the bed is flat it'll touch the back door but I can slide it forward to give a gap for the bike overnight. The wooden frame in the pic below a mockup of the RIB bed frame when I did a trial fit

#13 ·
Hi JonR, I have only posted on two threads that are relevant to mountain biking arrangments in vans as I though that our products were actually a decent solution and that someone searching on the forum might see them and find it helpful if they are new to the forum like me - hardly spam! But cheers for your feedback anyway - you have proved that the old threads are still being read. #bekind

#14 ·
The old threads aren't necessarily being read - they come back to the top when someone posts a new reply on them. Most of the time it's spam bots with 'essay writing' links etc.

Maybe best to start sign up for trader status and start your own thread so you can promote your product properly :)

#26 ·
Interesting posts. I'm looking at LWB T5 Kombis and want to carry 4 bikes in the back, was initally thinking of a blokpod rail at the rear and possibly one on the forward lashing point. That shoul enable me to carry 4 people and 4 enduro bikes without too much fuss and the 2nd row of seats in.
Was also thinking about getting a Forty Winks bed, so I could camp with the other half and I could make a ply mount for 2 Blokpod mounts to put the bikes across the van (2nd row of seats removed).

Hopefully that should give us the best of both worlds.

Anyone done anything similar?

#27 ·
Check out the MTBVans fork mounts - significantly cheaper than the BlokPods version AND you get adapters to fit most forks included (QR / 15mm & 15mm boost etc.) whereas the BlokPod you have to pay extra for each set!
I have two of them fitted to a section of rail that I sourced myself (which MTBVans otherwise charge £90 for)...

#29 ·
If I staggered the mounts I could get three, maybe four bikes across the van depending on the handlebars.
Mine's a SWB and I've retrofitted the Caravelle rails so I can slide the seat forward to give more clearance for the bikes which is why my Yeti (size large) sits at a slight angle, the hardtail (and girlfriend full sus) will sit straight otherwise. If you've got a LWB then you gain from the extra foot of load space in the rear!

The rail I sourced from RS Components -I still have the same length left over (they only sell it in 3m lengths!).
Then just bought a couple of M6 thumbscrews to secure the rail to the van floor (about £7-6 off eBay for a pack of 5) - purely so I can easily remove it all quickly if I want to.

#30 ·
Thanks for the details. I intend to get a LWB so should be able to fit my xxl YT in there, would like to be able to fit my partners bike (should be no issue as she's on a medium) and my 2 lads bikes in there as well, I'm thinging I may need to go top to tail with them.
Obviously I could thake the rear wheels off but prefer not to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.