VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
No, that's not it either.. there are 2 differences. What was shown in those 2 ads were the 2 types of airbag & 2 types of wiring.

Oh man.. does that mean that there are 6 configurations of MFSW (airbag 1 with LIN or CANbus & airbag 2 with either LIN or CANbus) or just 2 (airbag 1 has LINbus, airbag2 has CANbus.. or something along those lines) ?

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I can't see the differences in the airbag?
forget this linbus/canbus thing, just get a wheel that looks like the one you have?
what type do you have now, basic plastic one? do you need DSG paddles?
have you got highline clocks with the multifucntion display

·
Special Rapporteur
8,616 Posts
There is no LIN or CAN thing for the wheel itself. They all work via LINbus (or an early interpretation of LINbus). How they implement that differs, but if you start asking suppliers whether a wheel is LINbus or CANbus they will just give you a blank look, or make something up.

From your OP you have a facelift, so the comms side is not complicated: it's implemented via LINbus, all the way back to the main body control module.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
That's not right
I can't see the differences in the airbag?
forget this linbus/canbus thing, just get a wheel that looks like the one you have?
what type do you have now, basic plastic one? do you need DSG paddles?
have you got highline clocks with the multifucntion display
I have basic plastic steering wheel, no DSG paddles needed (I didn't know what they were until 2 mins ago) .. not sure about Highline anything but I may well have multifunction display (where you can change what info is shown between the clocks, same as my Skoda Octavia )..

Hopefully I'll get home at a reasonable time today so I can get in my van & see what's what.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
There is no LIN or CAN thing for the wheel itself. They all work via LINbus (or an early interpretation of LINbus). How they implement that differs, but if you start asking suppliers whether a wheel is LINbus or CANbus they will just give you a blank look, or make something up.

From your OP you have a facelift, so the comms side is not complicated: it's implemented via LINbus, all the way back to the main body control module.
Ace... I think. You have already guessed at the reaction of the seller.

So.. if I follow the YouTube videos showingbthe same MFSW I'll be ok? ..that sounds sketchy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So, this is my steering wheel which has the same hair grip /cotter pin like clips holding the air bag in place as the one I have on order. From the choices you showed me Fenwick458 it seems I have picked correctly.

So looking at what I have ordered do I need other connectors (CANbus etc) ?

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
How to activate multifunction display on a T5.1 with lowline screen?

thats the wiring instructions i think. You'll need an airbag loom too
The 2nd bit of that post is to do with MFSW but the writer assumes some previous knowledge ie; the reader knows which wire is which or how to work it out. Are the wires marked, is there a wiring diagram available ? I can see from the videos that they are colour coded.

How do I know if I have highline or lowline dashboard display ? Googling does not help.

Triific: You say you did yours easily enough, where did you get your instructions from ?

There is the Erwin website with hourly& daily subscriptions to VW tech docs. Is this the place to go?

..also I do not have the code for the head unit & VW UK won't be able to help.. grr.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
That 1 is the best video so far but it does not show the inner steering wheel or connections within it. Also it is a flat bottom type so was unsure how much is applicable to my set up.

·
Special Rapporteur
8,616 Posts
Triific: You say you did yours easily enough, where did you get your instructions from ?
By doing a forum search here, which found the long thread with the title "T5.1 Multifunction Steering Wheel" which pointed out to a thread on the UK Polos forum - which answered pretty much every question I had. No video - just a written description of what you need to do.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
That 1 is the best video so far but it does not show the inner steering wheel or connections within it. Also it is a flat bottom type so was unsure how much is applicable to my set up.
thats what you need the new airbag loom for

·
Registered
616 Posts
You need to change the airbag loom as your existing one won't have the connections for the MFSW buttons.
The lowline dash has a white display and only shows current mpg / avg. mpg / miles to empty / outside temp. etc. and look like the below...

The highline dash also has a white display also but will also show navigation, radio station info, telephone info etc. and look like the below...

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
is there not a midline display too? I think that above is midline with the different screens. Memory is a bit hazy on this, but I think when I got my van it had no buttons on the RHS stalk, so there was no way of cycling between the different displays on the screen. and when I was fitting something, probably the MFSW, I managed to get the dash to go through all the different screens for the first time and was surprised... but I only had those clock in for another day or so until i put the highline ones in.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Nice one 64Split. Much appreciated. So I have lowline... which means, amongst other things, by replacing by head unit I will lose the door open warning function.

So all parts are now on order thanks to all of you & your help - I'd buy you all a pint if I could.

I will let you know how I get on... assuming you are interested.

Just getting the trim off is not so easy.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts