VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
It is LHD .. the fuses are on the other side of the gear stick. Could it be by them or further over, below the air bag ? I guess I'll have to look there.

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,234 Posts
Probably somewhere below the glove box, although to be honest it could be anywhere, I don't think you've ever said it's LHD & your profile offers no clue as it's blank.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Probably somewhere below the glove box, although to be honest it could be anywhere, I don't think you've ever said it's LHD & your profile offers no clue as it's blank.
Naively I did not think it would be that relevent to this thread..but I will change my profile.

I cannot find anything under the passenger air bag & I cannot get the trim off around the fuses.

More Googling & more questions for the LHD van dealer.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
it's above all those plugs you pictured. it shows it in the video on the 3rd post, it shows unplugging the connector to add the wires into it.
if it is lowline like mine was you'll need to run the 3 extra wires between the clock spring and the BCM too, thats so the RHS buttons will work the MFD

actually just looked again I think it must be in different place on the LHD! I would follow that loom on our picture where does that go to?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Not above the plugs but behind.. directly behind. Man, it's really tight back there !.

.. 3 wires ? Have you more details for me or a link I can go to please? I've only seen/ been told about 2 wires. ..or have you already told me ? I will look again.

Thanks a lot.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
it's all in this post, it's actually 3 wires from the stalk connector block up to the clocks
and then the 2 wires from the stalk connector block to the BCM
so you say the BCM is behind those plugs? those plug/relay mounting plates come off you know, I reckon there will be screws top & bottom and then they will move forward slightly to give you a bit of room. maybe...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Nice one Fenwick458.. I'll check that out... so it's 5 wires then ?. I see Travlin Lite sell some (£9 for 2 wires though - jaysus ! ).

It's my last proper day at work today so I'll have time to do all this in a far more relaxed manner from now on ...& in daylight.. that'll make a very welcome change.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
It seems that nothing I try is easy so this comes as no surprise ... I bit of swearing & cursing will get me through.

Thanks for the heads- up.

MUST all connections be soldered, can I not use a Wago connector block or a crimped butt connector instead ?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Yeah the 'repair' wires are crazy expensive - especially as some need to be spliced and extended! I'd solder wherever possible but if not then crimped connectors would also work.
Even just a cheap soldering iron is worth investing in - I used cloth wiring loom tape to keep everything looking factory, but insulating tape will be just as good.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
Repair wires aren't that expensive from TPS.
And 1 repair wire has 2 ends on it you know
Ahh.. (but it was easy to misinterpret) ...

TPS are OEM parts suppliers & surely will want part numbers or will want to know what terminals & mm2 of wire I need.. no ?

Where did you get your wires from ?

I guess I should just buy 2 sets off Travlin Lite (although they have just answered my question by saying it's for an auto electrician to know)..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Mmmmm.......think I might just stay with my bog-standard wheel:oops::oops:
[/URL]

Yep.. or £290 supplied & fitted now sounds like a bargain.

It looks straight forward enough but the devil is in the detail...eg exactly what connector pins are needed ?

But I am hoping to have a great sense of satisfaction once / if it's all done & working.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
TPS are OEM parts suppliers & surely will want part numbers or will want to know what terminals & mm2 of wire I need.. no ?
Where did you get your wires from ?
I'm sure they will know which repair wires you need if you ask them, they are normally ok at the end of the day it's their job to sell you stuff
I got mine from teeside VW on ebay, bought the cruise control kit, just dug out the invoice they were £10 , thats for 3 x 009E
searching on ebay i'm assuming it means "000 979 009E" as there are a whole load of other repair wires that all have the same start of the part number, only the end 4 digits change.
Audi VW Skoda Seat Porsche 5 x Wiring Terminal Repair Wire 000979009E | eBay
or you could buy 10 of the ends only for less
Audi VW Skoda Seat Porsche 10 x Wiring Crimp Repair Terminals Pins 000979009E | eBay

i'm sure it'll be worth it in the end!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
(Yet again) Nice one Fenwick458.
Yeah the 'repair' wires are crazy expensive - especially as some need to be spliced and extended! I'd solder wherever possible but if not then crimped connectors would also work.
Even just a cheap soldering iron is worth investing in - I used cloth wiring loom tape to keep everything looking factory, but insulating tape will be just as good.
I am off to Machinemart tomorrow. I hope to improve my wire soldering skills before going at my wiring loom. I had 3 irons not so long ago but I couldn't get enough heat into the wire to make the solder run. I will look for cloth tape, I don't like insulation tape for long term use - it eventually comes away leaving sticky **** all over.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I'm sure they will know which repair wires you need if you ask them, they are normally ok at the end of the day it's their job to sell you stuff
I got mine from teeside VW on ebay, bought the cruise control kit, just dug out the invoice they were £10 , thats for 3 x 009E
searching on ebay i'm assuming it means "000 979 009E" as there are a whole load of other repair wires that all have the same start of the part number, only the end 4 digits change.
Audi VW Skoda Seat Porsche 5 x Wiring Terminal Repair Wire 000979009E | eBay
or you could buy 10 of the ends only for less
Audi VW Skoda Seat Porsche 10 x Wiring Crimp Repair Terminals Pins 000979009E | eBay

i'm sure it'll be worth it in the end!
You star ! That is very good of you do dig that out for me. I am very grateful. TPS are just round the corner from me.. but they are a trade counter only. But I'll try VW commercial.

It's all coming together.. my " new" wheel is really nice & very tactile .. the wear is barely noticeable. Hopefully £125 well spent.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
my wheel has started to wear, was just looking at options. mine is one of these at the minute. I don't think you can just buy a flat bottom one to fit those airbags, well I can't see any for sale. Can anybody confirm?

This is the type I fitted to my 2013 Highline. With the addition of the two wires it worked out of the box no coding required. I didn't pay £295 for it though, more like £225 from memory.

anybody know if it's possible to get them wheels with dsg paddles?

can this type be fitted too, obviously I'd have to change the airbag

and I'm guessing this type can be fitted too, but I think it's getting a bit pricey now!!

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
looks like any will fit as long as they don't have the cruise buttons. thats the general rule i've found anyway.
might upgrade if I can find one cheap enough. I quite like the T6 or polo 6R wheel and at about £250 with an airbag it's reasonable but it's a shame they don't have DSG, or if they do they will be rare!

41 - 60 of 65 Posts