VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Multifunctional Steering Wheel: choice & coding help please.

14K views 67 replies 10 participants last post by  C11RGD 
#1 ·
I have just discovered what VCDS is while stumbling into MFSW envy.. so now I want one.

So it seems that there are 2 or 3 different models of OEM MFSWs & all sellers say something like " fits transporters" or "fits T5.1" but then also say " make sure it is compatible before buying". How can I find out which is compatible? To be more precise is this type compatible with any T5.1?

Then it seems straight forward enough to fit one apart from the coding. Is there any kind soul in Brum or close enough to help me code it if I get one ? I can pay in home made craft cider if that's your poison.. or cash.

Thanks
Tog

#2 ·
That looks to have been taken from a T5 so fitment shouldn't be an issue.
However, be worth speaking to Paul @ Retrofits as he will supply, install and code a new steering wheel to your spec. Will cost a little more but you can get a custom wheel and a job done properly. (y) He's in Hinckley so not a million miles away from you.

#3 ·
So I fitted a MFSW from a mk6 polo onto my 2013 T5.1. It works a treat and worked without coding which I believe is because I have the highline model.

Having purchased a mk7 golf steering wheel all my research and comments from this forum and others is that it won't work because these recent wheels communicate with Linbus whereas our older vans are canbus.

The first wheel I bought had cruise control on it and that seems to be the key indicator that it won't work. It's still sat in my garage...

So my recommendation is pick a mk6 wheel and you'll be fine. The one in the link should work.

There's a couple of good fitting videos on youtube if you haven't seen them before.

#5 ·
it won't work because these recent wheels communicate with Linbus whereas our older vans are canbus.
No - that's not correct. The facelift onwards use LINbus as well as CANbus. The MFSW on a facelift is implemented via LINbus, which is built into the main body control module. In addition to the MFSW, the facelift uses LINbus for door control units (both front and rear), roof control and also in the factory alarm system.

My limited understanding of the pre-facelift is that the BCM does not incorporate LINbus, so you need a separate module to implement it (and that module talks to the rest of the vehicle via CANbus). VW actually called this a "single wire data bus" on the pre-facelift, so it may have been an early interpretation of LINbus, rather than a fully compliant implementation.

#7 ·
... thanks for all your replies. I'm glad I asked as that sounds like another can of worms

I really like to do things myself but sometimes it's best left to others, this might be one of those times.

Paul @ Retrofit was helpful & his prices seem reasonable.

#12 ·
Why the rush ? I am heading off to France as soon as our house sale is completed (hence the LHD).. which is soon enough (fingers crossed) & I do not fancy talking tech in very poor French. That is assuming that I can find anyone who does all this funky stuff down there. I have so many plates spinning that I wake up at 3am thinking of what needs doing & not just the nice things to do with my new van.. for example this week I had to learn all about euro8 tractor attachments so I could send a pallet fork attachment to my Father-In-common Law in time for him to unload my palletted workshop. I was then side tracked by MFSWs !

B&T; What was wrong with the one you bought ? I almost bought one today, I'm glad I was stalled ..

How do I tell if mine is LINbus or CADbus .. I guess more Googling

#14 ·
How do I tell if mine is LINbus or CADbus .. I guess more Googling
my foolproof way of doing this is just remove your airbag and take a picture of what you see, then by a wheel that looks the same, but has MFSW and or paddles on.
some have a control module in the middle, and some don't.
you can get the right wheel from a lot of different VW's, passat, golf, tiguan etc i'm sure
I'm not sure about the newer wheels with cruise control on them, I was put off this by the fact you have to buy a new airbag, and a normal cruise kit for t5/t5.1 is cheap enough to just have it on the stalk

#15 ·
Ah bxxxks.. I forgot to follow up on that LINbus/ CANbus detail before purchasing one off Ebay. Am I going to regret not going for the £290 supply & fit quote ?

What can you see without the airbag if the connections are below the steering column? The " new" MFSW looks identical with the airbag in place (apart from the buttons) & it came off a T5.1 but that may mean nothing.

(I am going to try really hard to forget you have mentioned cheap Cruise Control kit.. I need no more temptations right now)

#18 ·
have a look at these 2 ebay ads here and here notice the difference? mine is the type without the control module in the middle. I was led to believe that older vehicles used these but that can't be true as my brother has a 64 plate amarok and it has the control module in the middle.

and here you go, link to the cruise kit
Please bear with me as I can be slow to undersrand things ..

I don't understand what looking under my air bag will show me... I do not expect to find any wires there at all.. ok so maybe something for the airbag.

I thought the problem is me not knowing what system I have ... then once I find that out then I buy a MFSW to suit.. No?

Many Thanks for helping

#17 ·
This is the type I fitted to my 2013 Highline. With the addition of the two wires it worked out of the box no coding required. I didn't pay £295 for it though, more like £225 from memory. I'd have liked the snazzy GTI/Rline wheel with the round bag but they are serious money, too many other things to spend van money on!

Having researched for ages and consulted with others who have made the change, the key message was look for a MK6 VW wheel rather than MK7 and stay away from ones with cruise buttons on the wheel. It probably took a couple of hours to fit, but then I went slow as working in close proximity to airbags is a little uncomfortable.

#58 · (Edited)
my wheel has started to wear, was just looking at options. mine is one of these at the minute. I don't think you can just buy a flat bottom one to fit those airbags, well I can't see any for sale. Can anybody confirm?

This is the type I fitted to my 2013 Highline. With the addition of the two wires it worked out of the box no coding required. I didn't pay £295 for it though, more like £225 from memory.

anybody know if it's possible to get them wheels with dsg paddles?

can this type be fitted too, obviously I'd have to change the airbag

and I'm guessing this type can be fitted too, but I think it's getting a bit pricey now!!

#21 ·
No, that's not it either.. there are 2 differences. What was shown in those 2 ads were the 2 types of airbag & 2 types of wiring.

Oh man.. does that mean that there are 6 configurations of MFSW (airbag 1 with LIN or CANbus & airbag 2 with either LIN or CANbus) or just 2 (airbag 1 has LINbus, airbag2 has CANbus.. or something along those lines) ?

#24 ·
That's not right

I have basic plastic steering wheel, no DSG paddles needed (I didn't know what they were until 2 mins ago) .. not sure about Highline anything but I may well have multifunction display (where you can change what info is shown between the clocks, same as my Skoda Octavia )..

Hopefully I'll get home at a reasonable time today so I can get in my van & see what's what.

#23 · (Edited)
There is no LIN or CAN thing for the wheel itself. They all work via LINbus (or an early interpretation of LINbus). How they implement that differs, but if you start asking suppliers whether a wheel is LINbus or CANbus they will just give you a blank look, or make something up.

From your OP you have a facelift, so the comms side is not complicated: it's implemented via LINbus, all the way back to the main body control module.

#31 ·
The 2nd bit of that post is to do with MFSW but the writer assumes some previous knowledge ie; the reader knows which wire is which or how to work it out. Are the wires marked, is there a wiring diagram available ? I can see from the videos that they are colour coded.

How do I know if I have highline or lowline dashboard display ? Googling does not help.

Triific: You say you did yours easily enough, where did you get your instructions from ?

There is the Erwin website with hourly& daily subscriptions to VW tech docs. Is this the place to go?

..also I do not have the code for the head unit & VW UK won't be able to help.. grr.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.