VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've been having in issue on the car, for which I have not found similar thread anywhere.
The car has a digital/automatic heater control (the car is 2004 T4 Multivan).
Even with the motor running at full speed, the front air vents do not pas too much air. The air blow is really lame. Also, if I put the window blower on, it barely dries the moist away.
The rear / side works OK.

I have replaced the fresh air filter, but not much of a change.

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks & BR,
Joe

·
Registered
586 Posts
Hello,

The heater controls in T5s are notorious for failing. a design flaw means that the heater dial (that selects where hot or cold air should be blown) should never be turned from "12 O'clock" through to "3 O'clock". There should be a physical stop there that makes you turn it anti clockwise. Turning the control through that position wears and frays the braided control cable inside the heater and stops the dampers from working.

This post http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/ho...opic49523.html is the best that I have found to show you the problem and how to fix it. It's illustrated, so it's simple to follow -- I propped my iPad up on the dash and worked through it, but you could always print it if you're still rocking the olde schoole.

In a nutshell, you take the dash apart and straighten the braided cable. I also took the glove box out and rolled the damper round to make it fully open onto the correct vent position. I will take the article's advice and replace the braided cable with solid because this is not a permanent fix.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey,
thanks for the quick reply!
So is this valid also on digital(non mechanical) control? As far as I understand, the flaps/vents are controlled digitally and altered on single motors. But then again, I might have wrong impression... =)
BR,
Joe

·
Registered
586 Posts
Ah, on digital I don't know, never seen them. My van is only a year older than yours and it does this.

Does this mean your dampers are motor controlled?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, yes - at least this is the impression I have. I also saw the VAG tester running the flaps with percentage values. 4 flaps all together running on the test, which run successfully.
Might be that eg. one of the flaps is loose and blocking the channel.
Just thought of asking, before tearing the panels off etc.
Thanks,
Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts