VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Do you put MVM hidden clips on panels before you carpet or after?

many thanks
Bez

·
Registered
124 Posts
I found it was better to fit them before carpeting. They’re a bit of a pain to get in and can snag the the carpet as you force them through and twist.
What size ply are you using? Any thicker than 4mm (3.6mm) then you’ll need to countersink

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there thanks for the reply.

i’m going to be using 3.6 mm ply I also brought a one piece ply roof again 3.6mm ply and brought the hidden roof clips for this.

So put them all in first the carpet is your advice.

Thank you again
Bez

·
Registered
124 Posts
No worries Bez. I used 3.6mm for the side panels but used 6mm (or 5.6 whatever is lol) ply for the ceiling panels as had heard some people stating the 3.6mm could be prone to sagging.

Back to the fixings, I carpeted the first panel first then put the fixings in and though there’s gotta be an easy way so all the other panels I put the fixings in first then carpeted and found it much easier and much quicker

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Put them in first and cover the heads (carpet side ) with a small square of low tack masking tape
If a clip breaks the carpet isnt stuck to it and it can be replaced easily 👍

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No worries Bez. I used 3.6mm for the side panels but used 6mm (or 5.6 whatever is lol) ply for the ceiling panels as had heard some people stating the 3.6mm could be prone to sagging.

Back to the fixings, I carpeted the first panel first then put the fixings in and though there’s gotta be an easy way so all the other panels I put the fixings in first then carpeted and found it much easier and much quicker
Ok brilliant. I hadn’t heard about the roof ply before so I have already brought a 3.6 mm hopefully be ok.

Again really appreciate your reply

many thanks and stay safe

Bez

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Put them in first and cover the heads (carpet side ) with a small square of low tack masking tape
If a clip breaks the carpet isnt stuck to it and it can be replaced easily 👍
Hi there stuartt5t30.

Thats sounds like a good idea I take it you have done this in the past?

thanks for your reply and stay safe

Bez

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ok brilliant. I hadn’t heard about the roof ply before so I have already brought a 3.6 mm hopefully be ok.

Again really appreciate your reply

many thanks and stay safe

Bez
I’m not sure how much of a problem 3.6 roof ply really is, I guess it depends on how your van is going to be used, lots of cooking and sleeping in it would create more condensation/dampness..
3.6 definitely easier to fix as 5.4mm was obviously a lot stiffer and hidden fixings were popping due to the curvature and I put a couple of self tappers in but managed to cover them with the trim

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again I will give this a go. I also have another question not sure if either of you can help. I have brought a wiring loom to place a dimmer switch on the c pillar where the seatbelt panel would go. The loom I have been supplied with goes along the floor from the driver seat leisure battery under the side step and then up the c pillar? Is this ok as I will have to carpet over the wires?

i thought it should have gone up the b pillar along the roof and then down the c pillar?

any help greatly received

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would personally run it up the b pillar across and down as you say but I guess it doesn’t really matter. i’ve got a wireless dimmer with a remote control and receiver in the roof space above the panel but also have a rocker master switch for the lighting too

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Think I might get hold on the company I brought it from and ask the to make another loom so as to go up the b pillar think I’ll feel better about it.

thanks for you replies

·
Registered
124 Posts
There’s no real problem with carpeting directly over wiring except looking a little unsightly. I found that there is pretty much always a way to run wiring behind pillars and panels and just drill panels (before carpeting) and pop the wiring out into whatever switch or socket etc

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok have done as advised put the clips on before the carpet and placed a low tack masking tape over the clips on the panels look great.

My only advice for anyone else doing this is, Wear some decent gloves or use a set of pliers to push the clips in as my hands are torn to bits getting these clips in, they are a very tight fit and quite time consuming to do. I now see why people use screws.

Hopefully it will all be worth it once I carpet the inside of the van and put the panels in.

👍

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ok have done as advised put the clips on before the carpet and placed a low tack masking tape over the clips on the panels look great.

My only advice for anyone else doing this is, Wear some decent gloves or use a set of pliers to push the clips in as my hands are torn to bits getting these clips in, they are a very tight fit and quite time consuming to do. I now see why people use screws.

Hopefully it will all be worth it once I carpet the inside of the van and put the panels in.

👍
Oh yeah, sorry, use pliers, it wrecks your fingers... 😂
Well done though mate, it’s worth it IMO

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks mate let’s hope so.👍Haven’t started the inside of the van yet just fished all the panels. Got a one piece roof all clips and tape done ready to cover tomorro.

Thank you for all the advice even if the pliers bit was forgotten 😗

·
Registered
124 Posts
You need a few pairs of hands to fit the roof/ceiling, hope it goes well Bez. Show us pics when it’s done

1 - 20 of 22 Posts