VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im having trouble i had my van serviced a month or so ago and when i got it back it decided to cut out when no gear was engaged it doesnt happen all the time and starts back up. I thought it might be my lesuire battery split charge so i took that off but i still have the problem.
I have a 199 VW transporter 1.8 petrol
Oh and isit possible to have power steering fitted
Any help would be apreciated i dont want to go to a garage and spend loads of money if something might be loose?
Thank you

·
Registered
648 Posts
The 1.8 is a rare bus, so you might not get many responses. I'd have thought the most likely problem is an air leak around the carb/inlet manifold or the carb itself (needs a good clean or setting up properly). Check you've not got any loose or split breather hoses. Noo Noo might have some advice - he had a 1.8 before giving it an engine transplant.

Power steering is possible, but quite a big job (again Noo Noo's done this - check out his build thread). It's much easier to do if you're taking the engine out anyway (easier access for swapping the rack and mounting pump on engine), but still possible if not.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi ive found a grey hose at the top of my engine that isnt attatched to anything ill take a picture and try get it up when i work out how to put pictures up. Im not sure if this could be the issue.
Im not to sure where the carb inlet manifold it or what it is im normally handy and can work things out i cand find a picture on the web for my van or a T4. And i cant afford to take it to the garage although it was fine before i took it for a service and it started happening a week after the service.
Cheers for the reply dude.

·
Registered
648 Posts
That looks like a vacuum hose. Probably comes from the carb body (the end that's still attached) and should certainly be attached somewhere - possibly to the air intake pipe to power the warm air intake? Can you see a suitably sized plastic stud on the air intake nozzle?

If you can't find where to re-attach it just now, try just sticking a suitably sized bolt in the end to bung it up. That should stop any excess air getting into the carb/inlet manifold - an unattached vacuum hose like that could well be upsetting the mixture at idle and causing the engine to stall.

If you don't have any luck, I would be tempted to take it back to where it was serviced and say you've notice this pipe is off and the engine is stalling at idle. I suspect it's been left off after an air filter change or similar and should have been reconnected. It would certainly tie in with the problem starting after the service.

Good luck.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found a pipe coming out the back and put it back on might zip tie it on seems loose took it for a drive seems to have stopped the problem so hopefully sorted now to find a scrap yard as some massive motor home ripped my wing mirror off earlier and drove off! heyho haha
Cheers for the help

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Looks like you're sorted T: Gills is defo the petrol engine man on here. A: Good to see another 1.8 petrol about as well.

I'm still running the carb set up but not formuch longer. Bus will be off the road at the end of this month for the transplant to end all transplants.

Definitely sounds like a vacuum leak to me. Right pain to find sometimes and even a small one can really affect how the engine runs. Are you still running the carburettor? Pierburg from memory. It is quite common to change to a Weber (most Golf people do)

One to watch for the future will be the carb mounting flange. They're well known for going as the rubber perishes with age. You cant get the original VW one for the T4 any more but fear not a Golf / Passat one will fit. Just a matter of finding the right one. GSF do them from memory Give me a shout and I'll try and get a part number for you.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For my first post its awsome to have the help from the comunity :)
Unfotunatly might have to lose this bus when my old man needs it he cant turn the wheel its really stiff would that just be because no power steering?
Have you got power steering on yours?
cheers

·
Registered
648 Posts
For my first post its awsome to have the help from the comunity :)
Glad to hear you got it sortedT:

Unfotunatly might have to lose this bus when my old man needs it he cant turn the wheel its really stiff would that just be because no power steering?
Have you got power steering on yours?
Steering is heavy at low speed on non-power steering models. Only lower spec early models didn't have PAS as standard. It is possible to retro fit, but it's not a quick fit!

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
yeah I put PAS on mine when I did my first engine swap. The downer of mega mileage. Not so bad with the engine out. Biggest problem for me was finding a pulley set up that kept everything in line. If you go down this route it's best to try and find an early 1.9 diesel and rip all the pulleys, pump, belts, brackets and alternator off it and work from there.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So the pipe issue is fixed but sometimes still seems to idle badly and carrys on revving when my foot is off the pedal.
Any ideas?
cheers

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
check your throttle cable first. If it's starting to fray under the dash then it will stick. I'd then look at the cable connection to the carb. Not sure if there's spring return but look at that.

Lumpy idle etc. may still be down to a small vacuum leak somewhere. Exclude this first then start looking at the carb set up. It might just need a good clean. Get a load of carb cleaner through the air intakle at the top.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The cable doesnt look frayed needs to be tightend i think though. The tightening screw is maxed so ive ordered a new cable hopefully thatl fix it. Any tips on what i can do or get to make it more fuel efficient~?

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Proper carb set up first.

Then if it's still a bit too thirsty for your liking consider an LPG conversion. When doen it'll run slightly cheaper than a diesel. But you'll need to do the miles to get your money back on the conversion.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

So ive changed by pipes they looked old.
The straw like thing in the picture has a screw at the engine end of it any idead what that screw does?
cheers

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Proper carb set up first.

Then if it's still a bit too thirsty for your liking consider an LPG conversion. When doen it'll run slightly cheaper than a diesel. But you'll need to do the miles to get your money back on the conversion.
Hey NOO NOO i now its been a while I dont want to sell the bus but I cant afford to keep feeding it the ammount it drinks. when u say a proper carb set up what do you mean? change it? what should i change it to? and isit a straight swap job?
Thanks in advance
Steff

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
In addition to Steff's post (call me his mechanically minded assistant I:). I have some experience with motorcycle carbs - i assume by a "proper carb setup" you mean swapping out jets/needles and setting the float height?

Now im not saying i have the experience to know which jets to use or what should be adjusted - however if anyone else can tell me we could do this ourselves assuming we can find jets.

Alternatively, are there many places that set up carbs, particularly in south wales?

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Firstly what MPG are you getting? about 22mpg to 25mpg or so driving round is about right. Sadly they're quite thristly

yeah look at servicing the carburettor first. A good clean with new jets and seals etc. From memory you will have a Pierburg 2E2 if it's the original. I'm not overly familiar with the Pierburgs but I remember they were known to go a bit funny. I can't remember why off the top of my head though. Have a look at the ClubGti forum as there's a whole section on carburettors and more than a few guys who know them inside out. You can also get service kits and replacements on Ebay or at least use that place to go to the relevant retailer.

Alternatively you can fit a Weber DMTL 32/34 which is the same as I had on mine. It won't make it any more economical mind.

I had mine converted to LPG which was great considering the mileage I do. Paid for itself very quickly and the bus ran slightly cheaper than a diesel, and gave me no problems whatsoever.

Going a bit more extreme I fitted a 1.8GTi block and cylinder head to mine. The small amount of extra power actually gave me better MPG. I'd get 50 miles per tank extra on LPG. That's on a 55L tank and was basically 25% extra miles per tank!

It hasn't worked the second time, damn it I:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts