VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi newbie here (casual lurker for few months) from South Wales. I had my dads old van from his back garden that has been sat there for about 7-8 years. Made great storage for his fishing gear and a post for the washing line via the tailgate hinge. Since he had purchased a T5 he never really had the time to do anything with it apart from use it for such things. I’d have a cuppa there once or twice a week and I would just look at it without a thought for reviving back to its former glory....
Being a paint technician for 18+ years I would always get asked “do you do any hobbles?” but I never had a premises to do it until an opportunity had come along for a small lock up (Like rocking horse sh#t around my neck of the woods). Great it just needs extraction, lights, rewiring , roof leak sorting and painting. Gotta speculate to accumulate and all that malarkey so I just gets on with it. After a few steady weeks of progress I had that little brainwave and I thought to myself maybe I could just give it a go. So I pops the question to the old man and he’s like “f#ck aye boy, do what you like with it”, Winner! Here she is.... I’ve named her Silky :giggle:
C4CC2CD4-0D36-4A19-96E9-FAA282DFD118.jpeg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Silky looks like she’s been pulled out from the hull of the titanic so with very little (none) welding experience it’s going to be all fun and games. So let’s start with the basics.... 1.9 non turbo SWB with 167k on the clock and FSH it’s mechanically sound but I will be changing the complete braking system, timing belt, water pump, shocks and bushes. Fresh battery and juice and she starts up on the button. First things first, she needs a wash!
B82D906D-5865-4B09-99DB-48342D6E8765.jpeg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just how good or bad is she? Only one way to find out, let’s get stripping down and see what we’re up against....

Attachments

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Morning Mozzy and welcome mate .
She looks a tad 'tender' in places but ive seen far worse 👍 .
My old boss was a self taught welder (damn good at it aswell) he said the way to learn was to buy yourself a classic beetle ....well its nearly a bug isnt it ? 😎.

This will be a real pheonix from the ashes type turn around , just imagine your dads face when its finished.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She’s a bit of a teabag so far I’m looking at replacing inner and outer sills, front n/s wheel arch,chassis outriggers and both front wheel housing. I don’t have a buckets of cash or loads it time its going to be a plod along process. I do have lots of enthusiasm though.... for now :p

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
She’s a bit of a teabag so far I’m looking at replacing inner and outer sills, front n/s wheel arch,chassis outriggers and both front wheel housing. I don’t have a buckets of cash or loads it time its going to be a plod along process. I do have lots of enthusiasm though.... for now :p
Nice to have you on board, there is no hurry for anything. Keep us updated and good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Morning Mozzy and welcome mate .
She looks a tad 'tender' in places but ive seen far worse 👍 .
My old boss was a self taught welder (damn good at it aswell) he said the way to learn was to buy yourself a classic beetle ....well its nearly a bug isnt it ? 😎.

This will be a real pheonix from the ashes type turn around , just imagine your dads face when its finished.
Thanks for looking mate I’m going to enjoy sharing my experience with like minded folks! Give you guys a giggle at my attempts too :LOL:

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Welding is easy when you know how .
Half the battle is getting access to where you need to be and getting back to something solid in which to weld to .....the rest of its trial and error ( and maybe a bit of experience gained over time)with how much power and wire speed to get proper penetration without blowing holes or having to spend a week grinding back .

I find it quite therapeutic chopping old rust out and putting fresh metal back .....while trying not to set fire to anything...including myself :LOL:.
Its good practice never to weld right up to going home time too so if theres any hot stuff smouldering away youve got time to find it before locking the shop up for the night. ;)
cardboard templates are easy to make and will save you time cutting plates that dont fit otherwise.
Looking forward to seeing your progress. :geek:

·
Premium Member
96 2.4D LWB
19 Posts
Hello and good luck with your project.

I wish I had a lockup to work on my T4, instead I have a driveway.....

In the last picture, showing the patch that been welded. Did you use gasless MIG or run out of gas for your MIG as the welds look very porous to me and won't be very strong. Or is it just the light playing with my eyes...?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello and good luck with your project.

I wish I had a lockup to work on my T4, instead I have a driveway.....

In the last picture, showing the patch that been welded. Did you use gasless MIG or run out of gas for your MIG as the welds look very porous to me and won't be very strong. Or is it just the light playing with my eyes...?
I think you could be right I dont think that I opened the gas bottle up enough on the regulator :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Welcome aboard Mozzy, always good to see someone taking on a resto build rather than leaving it to get beyond repair!
As already said, there's no rush with these things.
Also there's a wealth of knowledge on here so feel free to tap into it / us (y)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome aboard Mozzy, always good to see someone taking on a resto build rather than leaving it to get beyond repair!
As already said, there's no rush with these things.
Also there's a wealth of knowledge on here so feel free to tap into it / us (y)
Cheers Pduk I have grafted the last few weeks there was much more welding than I thought but here’s a few progress pics...

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And a few more... I have removed the trailing arms and replaced the drums, shoes, springs cylinders, handbrake cable and both bushes so that can be bolted up once I have finished underneath.

Attachments

·
Registered
rusty heap ('95 t4)
2,749 Posts
they're like the Forth Bridge......

once you finish it'l be time to start again :p

I've had 11 years of t4 ownership, people still try to convince me they don't rust:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Keep up the good work, you'll have a great van after the sweat & swearing(y)

Rich. (following)

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Great work so far, will be so worth it in the end 👍

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Loving the updates so far!
Would love to be able to tackle such a big task as this! We'll I probably would at the start and then end up effing and jeffing!
Being able to weld would be another thing I'd love to be able to do though!

Looking forward to seeing more progress on this as its fantastic!😁👍

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
You start with a small hole , start cleaning back ......then cut out twice as much as you originally thought ... :rolleyes: .
Cut a patch and get it to fit , tack it in place ....then the welder starts to spit and fart ....aaaarrrgghhh!!!
All fun and games :LOL:

I used to love welding machine frames ...all new, fresh,clean and decent gauge steel ..it was a dream to weld ......rusty cars on the other hand :rolleyes:.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts