VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having read a few threads on this forum about this upgrade I'm going to go for it.

The plan is to change the 0.756 ratio in my DQJ box (62mph @ 3000 rpm) to either a 0.681 for 69mph or 0.658 for 71 mph.
Given that most of the time going to work the van is empty and weekends it normally carries a couple of Trials motorbikes which with kit and spares probabaly add up to no more than 200 kg, I don't think I need such a low 5th gear.
I can currently manage about 30 mph in 5th but not easily. I normally use 4th up to about 40 so with the 0.658 gears I would be doing 1700 rpm when changing up. Sounds ok to me ?

I normally cruise on motorways at about 65mph but It would be nice to make that 70-75 !

I'd welcome any advice from anyone who's done this on a 2.0 petrol.

I have the part numbers but not exactly sure of the cheapest place to get them ?

·
Registered
100 Posts
If extending works, then the gearbox has a wide space between 4th and 5th gears. That can be disadvantageous especially for VW T4 which are commercial and their operating weight can change more than among personal cars. Then, a small hill may be a problem – to shift a „long“ 5th gear, the engine must be over-revved in such a way that the supposed fuel savings are lost again, if the 5th gear can be engaged at all... The same applies when you downshift, when shifting from 5 to 4 you have to revs the engine more than you would expect...

http://www.eurotuning.cz/images/image/en/optimizing/index.html

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Eurotuning. Cracking graph !

But as my van carries little weight I don't think it will be an issue. Engine is quite "torquey" so I think it will pull it ok. I seem to drive around alot in 5th even in town so if I have to change to 4th it's not really a problem. I really hate being on motorways doing 65 !

I guess 0.681 is a safer bet !

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well thanks to the T4 Forum I've picked up a set of 0.681 gears. So might be able to fit them end of next week.

I do have some concerns about the jump in ratios but I think I can suffer hanging on to 4th gear for a bit longer round town so that I can cruise a bit more easily on longer runs.

I'll try and take photos, but to be honest there are so many great threads it's probably not worth it. Just ordered a set of cheap pullers. I decide on cheap as I think I might have to cut the lip off the puller legs a bit ?

Just have to buy the gasket now. Part number 02A 301 215A I believe.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Well done mate, sounds like you have done your research. Well over my head.
Good lucky in your quest. I have a 2.0l petrol as well, so always follow anything to do with the petrol,s.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Did you have to buy the geras new in the end? £200+?

Would be interested to hear how you get on fitting them....

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers,
Managed to get the gears a fair bit cheaper from someone who didn't get on with the ratio in his 2.4. Just hope my petrol with I think a different final drive ratio works better.

Just tried to get the gasket and it seems it's main dealer only. ended up buying off ebay for about the same price but won't have to collect. Expensive at about £12 delivered ! I'm sure someone said they were a couple of quid !

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So started early today on the 5th gear upgrade. Went really well.

Some advice :

Don't buy cheap pulley pullers they are useless. Luckily on the T4 there is plenty of space in front of the gearbox so my big puller could fit in with a bit of trimming to the claws.

Have the right gearbox oil ready. I used a 75W/90 fully Synthetic oil.

I'll post some pictures later.

Basically it didn't take much to pull the gears off, in fact the small one came half off by hand and i carefully levered it off the rest of the way.

Replacing the gears was easy, a bit of grease on the metal tabs holds them in place. Bit fiddly but went in ok on 3rd attempt. Just make sure the metal tabs are hooked onto the wire spring in the selector. Easy but just make sure.

Torque it all up with someone in the van with their foot on the brake and in 5th gear. 59lbs ft for the 60 Torx bolts.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Once it was all back together I did paint the cover quickly to make it pretty ! new oil and put it back together.

First test drive went fine. As for the ration, probably a bit on the high side at 69 mph at 3000 rpm up from 62 mph. On the short test run both changes up into 5th were going uphill, so did have to go up to about 50mph before changing. I still think it will run on the flat at 40 in 5th, might mean you need to change down for hills at the low speed. But cruises nicely at 70 now.

On the longer runs I drive at weekends I carry about 200 kg and during the week I normally have an empty van. Maybe if you tow or carry weight this is too longer a gear. Possibly the 0.7 gear would have been better for most people.

I think I prefer long legs !!

Few pictures to follow but they are just the same as others have posted.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Few pictures..usual thing !

You can see a few marks on the gears. I was told they had only done 250 miles. Turns out they are in much better condition than the old ones !

You've probably all seen this picture before !

I like to slap a bit of paint on anything I take off ! bit tarty I know !

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can report that With about 200 kg The van cruised fine on the A41 near Hemel. You do have to be doing about 70 - 75 to keep the engine in the right revs and it goes up the hills fine. Get stuck behind someone slow and at 60-65 you are not quite in the power band. Still have the B roads to try out on the way to work tomorrow. normally 40- 50 mph and level. Well see how it pulls then. I think it will be fine. So much smoother and a bit quieter.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got my mk 4 golf steering wheel on as well. Its amazing what you can get done with a couple of days off and some nice weather !
I'llpost some pictures tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I'm chuffed to bits with the gear ratio. I can bimble along at 40mph no problem, 45- 50 mph is fine. Can't help thinking this will help mpg as well. I keep an eye on mpg anyway so will report back later..

·
Registered
480 Posts
Any ideas on what the gears are from mate.
I have a 2.5 Petrol and doing 60mph its 3000rpm :eek:I have bags of power left as it goes well over 70mph just screaming its nuts off.
Looking to get the gears from a breakers if anyone knows of the gearbox types.
Thanks Pete

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know what these came from. You can buy them direct from VW possibly cheaper than buying a gearbox for parts.

If I can get by on a 0.681 ration you should be fine ! Go for it ! I've had my van 5 years and I wish I had done it years ago ! Although possibly not a good move if you tow a caravan.

·
Registered
36 Posts
great thread mate! i'v not long converted our van from deisel to petrol 2lt gti 8v, when it was diesel it seemed to rev high in 5th when cruising. now petrol useing the same box i would say i'm doing 70 @ 2800revs when i saw all the threads i was woried about the fith gear but i dont know whether i would get any benifit from changing? what is the horse power from your van i belive mine is 115hp i wonder if this makes the difrence, i have still got the gti box so wondered if the 5th gear from the golf would fit?

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think if you're doing 2800 at 70mph then you are probably about right. Fancy that GTI engine myself but my AAC engine is so sweet. Maybe when it gives up !

·
Registered
480 Posts
Took the end casing from mine tonight and counted the teeth on the gears
small one has 33 and large one has 46 so i make it 0.73 just done a proper run with gps speedo and doing 60mph im hitting 3100rpm.
Do you reckon the 0.681 may be a big jump.The engine does have bags of power.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You need to identify your gearbox code as they might have different final drive ratios. Assuming they are the same and it can't be far off judging by your speed and revs. You should be fine with the 0.681 ration I have. Part numbers 02D 311 158 Large and 02D 311 361 small

Search the thread as someone has posted the complete list of gearboxes and ratios.

Still chuffed to bits with mine, and it looks like I migth be getting a bit more mpg....maybe too early to tell.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts