VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re-posted in more appropriate section?

Hello all fellow Vdubbers! newbie here - only joined forum to get van fixed TBH.

Thanks god I did - the info on here and the net in general gave me the inspiration to take on this horrible common problem myself and win.

Will try to be breif as poss, tho may well be answering a coupe of known issues

I have had a 2003 ex AA 2.5tdi for approx 3 years now from 40k to present 73k - after about a year of ownership it started to lose top end speed going down to around 50 flat out!! during all the routine checks on valves vac pipes etc I was on the point of changing the turbo when I stumbled across a decat link pipe for £45 on ebay - changed that and hey presto van went and whistled like a subaru!! VERY pleased! whilst trying to diagnose fault I felt like changing everything but luckily only actually spent on changing the Mass air flow meter unecessarily. During the first fault I noticed a small hose had popped off the turbo wastegate actuating mech - put it back on and it didnt run as well so left it off and so it ran very sweetly pulling like a train even with a constant 5 - 800kg of carpet cleaning gear permanently in the back.

Last good friday I was popping to a mates house, just after setting off going up into 3rd gear there was an almghty lurch and bang as engine died - I though I had run someone over!!
Turns out the camshaft had snapped in 4 places! emare!!!!
3 weeks and a big bill later (£1370 included new waterpump belt kit belts cylinder head and replaced cracked piston! etc so was a real bargain) got the van back and again it was down on power - put it down to a diesel leak which was rectified under job warranty but still down on power.
Back to searching around the now very familiar T4 engine bay - the mech who carried out the work spent more than enough time with his 8 grands worth of diagnostics and couldnt find anything wrong at all - told me it was running at 1.1 boost and all fine tho it felt as tho it was boosting temporarily then hitting a "premature governor" ie runing like a piece of - anyway I buried my head in the internet and forums like this one last night and got a feel for the job - thinking collapsed inlet hoses - split vac pipes knackered solenoids n valves and even worn turbo.... Started at the little pipe which had been disconnected for a couple of years and wondered why? this led me to beleive the wastegate actuator was seized or something so had a tinker - I undid the bottom 10mm nut and backed of the adjustment and found the small lever to be moving very freely so took it for a run with no adjustment - still the same tho more static like no turbo at all? so gradually started re adjusting the rod upwards to the point where it was previously set - still the same - as it is in a fiddly spot I cut a 10mm spanner in half and took it out with me and kept adjusting the nut up 1 turn at a time between laybys - all the time IMPROVEMENT!!! - kept adjusting until it now performs exactly as it used to BUT with the small pipe correctly attached!!!! Seems that wastegate wasnt quite closing fully?? and so leaking boost?? and my adjustments have allowed it to seal in the lovely boost. Got me wondering why that little pipe has always been disconnected?? Wonder if the AA man was a bit of a boy racer and he setup the wastegate to always slighlty leak a touch of boost but never lose it all by disconnecting the wastegate actuator?? will never know - unless that AA man is a member here!! lol

VERY VERY pleased with myself

Sorry to have waffled on but I thought my experience worth sharing just in case anyone else can benefit from it

Best wishes and thanks to all previous posters for their insights

Stu - Team yellow

http://www.aa-clean.co.uk Some pics of van on my webby

hope links are allowed? if not pls just delete linjk and not post....

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Sounds like one of the process of elimination jobs. glad you got sorted now. thanks for sharing your findings though as im sure at some point will help someone out. T:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts