VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sticking with the tradition of keeping you guys up to date with my van builds. I thought it was about time I started my latest build thread.

Meet Red II, It started off as a 1.9TD panel van, it was then converted into a minibus for disabled people.

Not the most beautiful of vans, but watch this space. It is now hopefully going to end it's life as a GazHow conversion.

Pictures of van when I got it:

OK then, let the build thread commence:

6 February 2011 - Started to strip out some of the disabled conversion parts. What a :* job. 48 bolts holding in the Unwin rails. Managed to get 46 of them out, took almost all day.

13 February 2011 - Removed step from sliding door. Removed the 2 single seats from the rear and started to remove the steel plates they are mounted to.

16 February 2011 - Insured

19 February 2011 - Logbook arrived :)* registered as a disabled van)

22 February 2011 - MOT and service

28 February 2011 - Logbook changed over Taxed

5 March 2011 - Trip over to VW Centre, St Helens. Cambelt and water pump fitted. Also went to pick up new front seats and bed

6 March 2011 - Quite a productive day, thanks to the nice weather :D. Spent most of the morning removing 3 years worth of dirt and grime, with a toothbrush and a gallon of TFR. All the green has gone but paint still looks very pink. Need to get the paint restorer and polish out next.
Managed to grind the last 2 bolts out of the Unwin rails. Spent another 3 hours getting the bolts out of the last steel plate.

Removed the old wooden flooring. Fitted swivel base and new captains seats to driver and passenger bases. Did a trial fit of bed.

14 March 2011 - Another productive day, thanks to Big S. Spent 5 hours with paint restorer and polish, trying to get some colour and shine back into paintwork.

Check out the before and after pictures:

Also fitted a new accelerator cable and sliding door runner. Van now gone into bodyshop to have the bump attended to.

15 March 2011 - Van into body shop to get drivers side dint sorted.

18 March 2011 - Van back from body shop.

Before:

After:

Needs another wash and polish now.

19 March 2011 - Completely cleared out interior, cut all ply panels for interior, cut ply for floor, removed headlining, mounted rear seatbelts.

21 March 2011 - Limo tinted bonded windows fitted all round by Will at Tidy Transporters

26 March 2011 - Ply flooring fixed in position and screw holes filled, all metal panels flash banded

27 March 2011 - Floor sanded, Altro flooring cut and fixed in position, Multivan seat fitted

27 April 2011 - Thought I had better pull my finger out, as I haven't done much on this van in the last few weeks. Carpeted passenger side metal work

28 March 2011 - Collected Voringer plywood for cupboards

29 March 2011 - Carpeted drivers side metal work, carpeted ply panels for sides

30 March 2011 - Finished off carpeting ply panels, fitted Kingspan and foil insulation to side panels

1 May 2011 - Fixed all ply panels in place and started to cut wood for kitchen pod

2 May 2011 - Finished off cutting all wood for cupboard, added edging and trial assembled. Ended up modifying 3 times until I was happy with it, just needs screwing together now.

4 May 2011 - Assembled cupboard, just need catches and hob fitting.

6 May 2011 - Hob now fitted, just need catches and plumbing.

7 May 2011 - Kitchen unit fixed in van, all wires run in and rear of bed extended to fill in the gap where the aircon pipes run on a Caravelle.

11 May 2011 - Shelves fitted in cupboard, fitted door catches and additional lift up shelf fitted to side.

12 May 2011 - Made a set of roof panels and covered in vinyl, insulated sliding door & fitted door panel and also tailgate panel.

13 May 2011 - Bought leisure battery and made a start on wiring.

16 May 2011 - Insulated front 1/2 of roof, fitted roof panel and connected lighting wiring.

3 June 2011 - Finished off carpeting near tailgate, insulated rear 1/2 of roof and fitted roof panel, fitted two Van-X curtains to rear windows

6 June 2011 - Fitted another two sets of Van-X curtains to side windows.

Couldn't fit tailgate ones, as they had supplied the wrong rails.

10 June 2011 - Connected up the gas and some of the electric temporarily so that I could go away this weekend.

13 June 2011 - Fitted table, refitted tailgate speakers after they fell out at weekend, fitted wind deflectors, applied a couple of decals.

15 June 2011 - Fitted tailgate curtain (after finally getting correct tracks), fitted new dash speakers.

17 June 2011 - Fitted drop down TV, fitted & wired split charger and mains charger, fitted water supply and pump, fitted gas bottle and done loads of other little fidley jobs.

19 June 2011 - Fitted CMC 60mm lowering springs to rear of van.

20 June 2011 - Carried out short shift mod and lowered front by winding down torsion bar.

Van before lowering:

Van after lowering:

21 June 2011 - Repaired water leak on sink and connected up consumer unit.

22 June 2011 - Fitted and wired in electric hook up.

During rest of 2011 - Fitted awning rail in gutter.

Fitted tailgate spoiler.

Fitted new wheels.

Fitted new bonnet strut.

Fitted stainless steel sidebars.

Fitted bonnet bra (had cartoon done at Oktoberfest).

17 March 2012 - Fitted Propex heater.

18 March 2012 - Finished of fitting heater and pipework.

24 March 2012 - Got heater working, Recovered roof lining with carpet, Fitted passenger side door pocket.

25 March 2012 - Fitted and wired LED VW badge, FItted map reading light, Fitted shortened rear shock absorbers.

26 March 2012 - Fitted shortened front shock absorbers, Tidied up a bit of wiring.

9 April 2012 - Fitted radio changeover relay and altered a bit of wiring

11 April 2012 - Cleaned out EGR valve and fitted blanking plate

Just got to have seats steam cleaned, then it's finished.

Van Christened: Red II

Cheers

·
Registered
298 Posts
looking forward to what you have in store for us on this one - whats the plans?

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Watch this space ;)

Might take a while to sort this one out. Need to finish the 2nd one first I:

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Having seen this van in the flesh it only has 1 bad panel that needs sorting no rust on arches and the paintwork will clean up well,
Its about 1.5 tonne lighter now Gaz and his Dad have removed the ramp and seat rails :eek::eek:
steve :ILU:

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Van been in for MOT today, guess what? It FAILED........... :(

Can't complain though, failed on the following: Front number plate needs replacing, Front wipers need replacing, Rear brakes sticking. That's it!

Not bad for a van that hasn't even been turned over in over 2 1/2 years.I:

·
Registered
281 Posts
You'll be giving up the day job next!! Will watch with interest H:. Where did you find a T4 lying around undriven for 2.5 years?

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now taxed and MOT'd.

Just need to get the cambelt done and it will be my everyday driver for a while.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Eyup
Is this to combat your recent bad luck gaz? LOL:

Just sold a ramp exactly same as that on ebay.

Hows that chequer plate side step put together by the way?

Cheers, Nick
Yeah, hopefully my luck will change soon, fingers crossed.

Sold my ramp on e-bay last week. Side step justed to bits, not worth anything but scrap.

·
Registered
474 Posts
WOW huge difference ,what make polish and restorer did you use and did you do it by hand or with a polisher ?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts