VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having looked at prices for previously owned vehicles I decided to stretch the finances and buy brand new. The immediate plan was to get it work ready and then for roof bars, side bars, alloys, lowering etc.

First picture is how it came from the dealer.

Seat covers - a bargain £12.50 from ebay. Item number 121063658766. They seem just the job for keeping the interior mint.

And my 'Valuecarmat' which turned up today. Another bargain for under £12.00 delivered

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yesterday was spent ply lining. I am a bit dissapointed with the kit, i expected it to come with 'mushroom clips' and fit where VW intended it. Most of the panels required a slight 'fettle' with a jigsaw to make them fit and a lot of the location holes were slightly out, which meant they missed the metal. But ho hum - onwards and upwards

kit arrives from courier

naked van

surface to walk/work on

passenger side rear panel - if you look at the bottom near the side door you can see how it 'lips' over the door opening

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
again more trimming required to fit the upper door panels - see how it will not fit in the corner?

Anyway, i persevered and then lifted the floor back up.

Rather than have lots of holes in the floor i decided to stick down with silicon

then dropped the boards back on

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The other side of the floor in place, and then i stuck the wheel arch boxes on with more silicon

I threw all my plumbing junk on the floor overnight for it to stick and hopefully it has got rid of that lip down the centre

More to follow when i can decide on which accessories to go for

:)

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still waiting for my insurance renewel time before i do any mods, but had a towbar fitted for £279.00 all in. Fitter said it didn't need 'coding' and my reversing sensors still work?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
a couple of weeks ago I took delivery of some packages from Banwy, Vanstyle, and an ebay seller

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After reading on this forum about some rear spoilers that don't fit as well as they could do, and the fibreglass delaminating, I bought genuine VW, already colour coded from Banwy.

In my opinion, the rear spoiler is the single most effective thing that changes the look from a 'standard' van.

Pictures of the rest of the mods to follow when time allows

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vanstyle front spoiler [anyone know why they are sometimes known as splitters these days?]

This doesn't come painted so I had this professionally colour coded at the local bodyshop, not cheap, but as my granny used to say "there's no point in spoiling the job for 'hapeth of tar"

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wheels are a contentious point, with so much written about them on the forum. I would prefer not to give my insurers any 'wriggle room' whatsoever. Obviously these items are a major outlay but after seeing secondhand wheels with unknown history change hands for not very much less than brand new, I once again spent more than I ought to have done.

I didn't know they were made in england?

balanced

fitted

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sidebars also come in a massive selection with my preference being stainless/ double slash ends

These were bought from an ebay trader, the instructions were appaling, and looked like they had been photocopied from a photcopy. it took ages to work out that the mounting brackets ran from side to side rather than front to back. Some of the brackets were not welded square/true, and some of the holes needed 'fettleing'. It took me all afternoon on sunday but i am pleased with the look

Thats how my van looks for now

Postscript - as I have been typing this out, I have had a package from Veedubtransporters arrive- more pictures to follow

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yesterday I ordered some 42mm stainless roofbars from Veedubtransporters - they got here in less than 24 hrs from me making the phone call!!!

outer packageing

plenty of bubblewrap/selophane

very simple to fit & a good fit

the pictures don't realy do them justice. They are MASSIVE in the flesh, realy chunky! When I take some better pictures, i will put a beer can against them for scale.

Thats all from me for a while [i have been spending like a drunken sailor]. I am tempted to lower it, but unsure whether to fit eibach -30's or realy go to town and fit bistein coilovers. I hope i have given inspiration to help others choose the mods they would or wouldn't like.

·
Registered
73 Posts
lovely read up , each picture it gets better and better , rails wheels and side bars look mega , every van should have a lip spoiler like that , well done

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lovely read up , each picture it gets better and better , rails wheels and side bars look mega , every van should have a lip spoiler like that , well done
Thank you.

Everytime I walk back to it, i genuinely have to pinch myself because I can't believe that after all this time, i finally get to own & drive the van of my dreams.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All you need now is to stop calling her a workhorse. Lol
She is looking sweet and no doubt will get better with age
Well done
Thank you for the compliment, :)

......I have just been outside to take a [poor quality] photo of the back to prove its 'workhorse' status....

:eek::eek::eek:

I have got to clear most of that stuff out of the back tomorrow for our annual trip to newquay, but most of it will get thrown back in again next week.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts