VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 6 months ago my girlfriend and I made the decision to turn my ex-AA/ex Bandwagon into a camper or day van.

I gave myself a target. That target was Beaulieu. Not too unrealistic but my pockets are very shallow and with a relocation to Devon in two weeks it was very much a shoe-string budget and I've only been able to do the work when I have the pennies. However, as the target date got closer I have been plunging every penny into the van. More than that though, every spare minute I have had I've been in my garage. My social life has disappeared and I haven't been to bed before 3am for a LONG TIME but the van was starting to look really good.

I started running out of time earlier in the week and seeing as I had worked so hard so far I couldn't bear the thought of going to Beaulieu with an unfinished van so I treated myself to two days off work to complete it. First day, finishing the interior and giving it a good clean inside. Second day (today), I gave the van a full detailed wash. Eight hours it took me!! The plan had always been to turn up on the Saturday morning because my girlfriend isn't local and she was getting the train down from Cambridge after work.

I FINISHED IT!!! At 9pm! Stood back and for the first time ever thought 'that is a cool looking van!' (Just in case that bugs anyone, this has very much been a case of polishing a turd!)

Anyway, jumped in the van, off to Bournemouth train station. Picked up my lovely lady and nipped into Tesco for weekend supplies. £80 worth (mainly cheese, meat and cider!) Back in the van, filled her up with some nice refreshing diesel.

5 minutes from home disaster struck. Clutch has gone and not just a bit. COMPLETELY GONE. Or as the recovery man said, 'I reckon it's your clutch, or maybe your gearbox. Possibly your transmission though'. Well I could have guess it was one of those!

I can't describe to you how upset I am. It's not just because this is my first meet, not the £40 I've spent on flipping cowboy gear, not the water pistols, not just that I won't be able to meet all of you lovely people for the first time, it's not all the nights with less than 5 hours sleep.... yada yada...

It was my personal goal and I'm bloody devastated. I was so looking forward to driving into Beaulieu. My van in comparison to a lot on here is a little rough around the edges but I've put a lot of time anf energy into it. I'm proud of it.

To top it all off, I had to wait half parked in the road on a dark country lane for TWO HOURS before the AA sent one of their trucks out to drive me 5 minutes down the road.

Right, got that off my chest! Anyway, I genuinely hope you are all having a lovely time. There's always next year! T:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Managed to book it in to the garage this morning. It's likey to be the DMF (so potentially gearbox and of course clutch).

Really didn't need this :(

It had a full srevice two weeks ago and I asked the garage to please listen for any knocks, rattles etc that might cause me grief in the not too distant future.

Must have missed this one...

·
Registered
725 Posts
Oh, that's completely rubbish! :(

If we'd known we could've picked you up and dropped you up there with your kit, as went for a quick mooch today and going again tomorrow.

If you can, get yourself up there for the day tomorrow, as there are loads of lovely vans to see and everyone is happy to chat away. There was even someone else there who was vanless, so van not essential!

Hope you get it fixed soon. Chin up T:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I'm going to get a lift down tomorrow. I will be the one looking like he's feeling very sorry for himself. Sympathy will be welcomed! I:

·
Registered
981 Posts
Sorry to read about your van. Hope you have a great day at Beaulieu today, that the van doesn't cost an arm and a leg to fix and maybe we'll see you at some of our local gatherings when you have relocated T:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Made it down for today and had a great time. Took the sting out of the situation. I'll bring the van next year :)

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
sorry to hear that, I know your pain from past events with classic cars.

There's always another day. Best luck for next time T:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks so much guys.
I'm really pleased I made it down anyway. Saw some beautiful vans and managed to chat to some fantastic people.

Once the van is back on the road I will be attending as many regional meets as possible and I'm already excited about next year T:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts