VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last year I sold my Silver T5.1 Camper conversion (see previous epic build thread) as I had an investment opportunity and all toys had to go. Today I am back in the game!

Picking up a 2013 T5.1 140ps Highline SWB next week from a VW dealer. Have bought it blind as it was priced extremely cheaply and is an approved VW van, so fingers crossed it matches the salesman description when I collect next week I:

So the build starts here... This evening I'll be ordering my shopping list of bits and will update this thread next week when it all begins again. A:

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Picked the van up today:

Must say for a VW approved van it really wasn't prepared at all well, didn't seem to have even been cleaned. Made a fuss and got another few hundred quid off so I can get a detailer to go over it and tidy up some of the minor marks here and there.

20" Zito 935 wheels and 50mm Raceline Eibach springs going on in the morning, then will be stripping it down over the weekend to get the usual initial bits done (sound proofing, insulation, ply, carpet). Also got a rear spoiler and ABT front chin spoiler, and badgeless grill to go on, hope to have time to bond those on this weekend (already in black).

·
Registered
378 Posts
Looking forward to reading your build thread as it happens this time.
I started late on your previous one and was hooked.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got a Van-X ABT style front chin spoiler, pre painted black so just need to carefully bond it with some black tiger seal.

Offered it up just now and it seems to fit like a glove, will need to push and prod a few bits about and probably hold it overnight with some carefully placed objects.

Any advice before I go ahead with the tiger seal :confused: I:

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Little update.

Sound deadened the front doors on all 3 skins, then fitted some new Pioneer speakers and tweeters. Much better..

Also started sound proofing the living area..

Hopefully have some time this evening and tomorrow to get some insulation in and some cabling run for the electronics ready for carpet lining this weekend.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lots of progress today.

Finished sound proofing the panels (excluding ones where windows are going)...

Did the cab floor and roof too to reduce some road noise and such...

Old seats were filthy, bought some "astonish" upholstery cleaner off amazon and a quick wipe they came up like absolute new, I was astonished...

Started adding the insulation

Also ran the main cabling for the 12v split charge system and the 240v hookup from engine bay to under drivers seat...

Hopefully start getting the carpet lining on tomorrow!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Looking really good, it's been great seeing how people do the sound deadening as I'm picking my van up this weekend and will be one of the first jobs I'll tackle. How many packs/sheets of silent coat have you got through? Also noticed you've gone for Dynamat on the door skins, how much of that did you order?

I need to do some more research on electrics for leisure battery / 240 hook up. Do you have any advice you can post as you seem to have experience from having done one before. Did you learn from things you would have done differently?

Any advice is valueable thank :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looking really good, it's been great seeing how people do the sound deadening as I'm picking my van up this weekend and will be one of the first jobs I'll tackle. How many packs/sheets of silent coat have you got through? Also noticed you've gone for Dynamat on the door skins, how much of that did you order?

I need to do some more research on electrics for leisure battery / 240 hook up. Do you have any advice you can post as you seem to have experience from having done one before. Did you learn from things you would have done differently?

Any advice is valueable thank :)
OK so....

2 bulk packs of Silent Coat is what I have used. I have some sheets left over but still need to do the rear tailgate and slide door. Should just be enough. I had the Dynamat left over from last build so its the only reason I used some of that on the doors. I don't plan to sound deaden the rear floor as its pretty solid with all the valleys, and nce ply packers, then some foil, then some 12mm ply then altro is down I don't see the floor as an issue.

For the hookup the easiest way is to buy the xtremevans split charge kit which is popular here. I used it last time. But this time I am buying the components I want individually just because I learnt a lot and want to place things a bit differently and simplify this build. I can go into it if you are interested and feel confident about doing the electrics from components? Will probably do a post about it once I start on the bulk of the electrics anyway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's great, I will get the shopping list sorted from that.
I'll keep an eye on your thread here to see the progression and how you do the electrics. My uncle is an auto electrician so can probably help a little when I get to that stage. I just want to get an idea of what needs putting in from the outset if I was to use the van as more of a camper down the line. It will be starting life as a Kombi when I've done the conversion, so I can use it for everyday transport with car share, as my MTB trips transport and a make shift camper for me and the lady.

Keep up the great work, looking forward to seeing how it develops.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So today the 50mm Customvanz Eibach Raceline springs and some 20" zito 935's went on the van:

What tyres did you go for mate??
I've just picked up some 935's and plan to fit with the Eibach 50mm springs. Just need some rubber for them!!
Your build is looking good! Sounds like you have a bit of experience with the T5! :)

Thanks,
Shaun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello Badger!
I'm currently doing pretty much the same conversion at the moment and am going to use silent coat everywhere, then Thermoliner on top and leave it at that. I want a bit of air circulating.
Just wondering what ply panels you are planning on using? Not sure weather to use the existing grey ones as templates for some 6mm birch or just but a set of cnc'd ones. Any recommendations?
Cheers,

Jonny

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What tyres did you go for mate??
I've just picked up some 935's and plan to fit with the Eibach 50mm springs. Just need some rubber for them!!
Your build is looking good! Sounds like you have a bit of experience with the T5! :)

Thanks,
Shaun.
Hi

Went with 245x45x20 tyres (Yokahama Advan 802's) I think they are just right on all accounts, no rubbing, good ride, fit the wheel properly, speedo is within tolerance and there are plenty of good brand tyres available that are load rated (they aren't an odd size).

1 - 20 of 60 Posts