VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well we went & did it, we got ourselves a T5... A: :) T: it’s a 2008 T30 1.9TD panal van with 44K on the clock & full service history, as you will see from the pics its in reflex silver….
So far were over the moon with it & cant wait to start turning it into a basic camper van, When funds permit I:, this thread may be slow in updates, but i will keep you posted as i go, feel free to comment & advise as i go & it will help me to finish it quicker.

First job I thought, would be to spend ages removing the bulkhead. To my delight the original metal one had already been taken out & this wooden one was in its place… Result. so it soon came out T:

Next job was to give it a little loving, so i changed all the filters, Using genuine VW parts, given to me when we bought it.

Next on the agenda, After getting advice & reading on here then you guessed it, more reading, insulaton was next on the cards or rather on the walls
Thanks woolywonker AKA Steve! For some great help & advice. I have chosen to go down the route of & apply in this order,
Flash tape,
Foil bubble wrap,
Celetex boarding as well as recycled plastic bottle wool,
followed by a further layer of foil bubble wrap.
After this, the ply then carpeting.

So on with the flash tape

Then the foil bubble wrap & celotex board

So far thats how far i have got, i'm waiting for some high temp glue to arrive before i carry on :)

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice one buddy, see your using the anti vibration / soundproof stuff before the celotex. Keep it up! T:
The flash tape? to help cut out some noise (i am going to cover the ceiling & wheel arches too),
The bubble wrap? before & after the celotex will hopefully make the van warm.... Well thats the idea anyway.

I'm going to use the recycled bottle wool stuff in the lower panels where celotex wont fit into. The good thing about this stuff rather than using rockwool, is that is shouldn't soak up moisture & rot the van out.

Forgot to mention at the start..... i have also used wax oyl around the edges to keep any rust at bay.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've read a bit on flash band using the search on here. Some seem to cover whole panels, others just areas. How did you decide which bits to put it on?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've read a bit on flash band using the search on here. Some seem to cover whole panels, others just areas. How did you decide which bits to put it on?
Yes i have only started to put the flash band tape in areas, but for the ceiling i'm thinking of covering it twice.
I decided to use these methods, just by hours of researching on here & pestering forum members with questions. :grphg

I also figured. that if these items are used in the building trade, surely they will work for the van too?

For the panels i have already covered, i haven't used glue, just the foil tape, but before i go any further i'm going to get some high temp spray from Megavanmats to make sure the foil stays where it should. Just in case!!!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Cak,

Thanks for this guide. I'm at the internal lining and insulation stage and am struggling to decide how to do it, so this is a big help.

Why did you decide to do just areas of the panels but are doing the roof with two layers? I've also read that people use a heat gun when applying the flashband, have you? and if so why?

Good luck with the rest of the van and please keep us informed.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cak,

Why did you decide to do just areas of the panels but are doing the roof with two layers? I've also read that people use a heat gun when applying the flashband, have you? and if so why?

Good luck with the rest of the van and please keep us informed.
Hi,
I only started with 2 different sizes of F.tape, so its only in areas mainly down to the cost, but i think for the rest of the van when i get to it, (other commitments & family things):( i may have to dig a little deeper & get more to cover more.

The reason for two layers on the roof...... i figured that if were laying there in the rain at some stage, the noise of the rain will be louder on the roof than it will be on the sides. Doing the arches will also help drown out the road noise once were driving along.

As for the heat gun, i haven't needed to yet, but it will come in handy when i get to taping round corners and groves etc, like the arches for instance, Heating it up make the tape more plyable as its about 3-4mm thick already.
Just a std hair dryer will be good enough, so the wife will have to stop taking ages doing her hair, and let me have a go with it. LOL:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Cheers for the info,

I'm going to head down to toolsation now and grab some flashband now, so that I can make a start.

Any tips on where to grab the insulation and celotex? Ive seen it in B&Q but its never cheap there. F'band is £10 per roll more than toolstation!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Toolstation do a 1.5 x 25m roll for £120, do you think this would be enough? or far to much?

Also what thinkness of Celotex board did you use? 50mm?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Cheers for the info,

I'm going to head down to toolsation now and grab some flashband now, so that I can make a start.

Any tips on where to grab the insulation and celotex? Ive seen it in B&Q but its never cheap there. F'band is £10 per roll more than toolstation!
I bought my Celotex from Wickes (cheapest place i could find),
1 sheet of 25mm 8ft x 4ft top half of van
1 sheet of 50mm 8ft x 4ft bottom half of van, although now think i will use the recycled bottle wool for the bottom half as its easier to work with.

Flashband was from Homebase
2 x 150mm x 10m
2 x 100mm x 10m
2 x 300mm x 10m
Although i have now run out and still have to do the arches, ceiling and bottom half of sliding door..... 3 more rolls of the big size should be plenty i think.

Pm me your phone number if you want any advice which i can tell you over the phone.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hi.

Great looking van. as a matter of interest where did you get the van from. As i am looking for a T5 at present.

Regards

Dave S.

·
Registered
240 Posts
For anyone who's local, there's a place in Stirling called Seconds & co (or something like that) who sell Kingspan seconds. The stuff is perfectly usable but has the odd corner chipped off etc, and is substantially cheaper than buying it perfect.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Been a little while since i have carried on with the interior, mainly spent searching on here for various bits & bobs
So!!! where was i?
Well, started the passenger side of the van with the insulation..
As before, flash taped the panels & inside of the wheel arch, then a layer of foil insulation, before the recycled plastic bottle wool, then another layer of bubble foil insulation

Prep work not pictured here, but it was done

Also did the same to both the rear barn doors, put the ply lining back for now, until i get to the carpeting stage.

Then it was off for a drive last week to Penzance, where some rogues thought our van would look better with dents & holes in & make some money on some scrap metal A:T:

Great bunch of guys, who look after you well (thanks for the lunch)T:

4 & a bit hours later, i came away a very happy man with this

Now i have got to a stage where i need some more help PLEASE!!

Does anyone have? or could someone get hold of a template for me of their grey/blue "full height" panels for the back half of the van?
Mine are only half size & i would like to be able to cut my original ply lining to the shape/contour of the van, see pics below for what i want to end up with.
(hope your following & understand my rambling)I:

At this stage i aim to carpet straight over the top of these on both sides (as were not going to have the units etc in there).
I would be very gratefull if someone could help me out.

1 - 20 of 280 Posts