VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've always wanted to do a proper build thread since I saw this forum, I have just replaced my trusty 08 vw that accompanied me on 9 trips to the alps climbing and skiing and never once let me down.

I have upgraded to a VW T5.1 lwb in black, it came with more than I wanted and at less than I was prepared to pay, bargain. It has virtually perfect body work, one small dent in the sill of the sliding door.

140 hp, reversing sensors, sat nav,

Bluetooth kit

Hill hold and only 38,000 miles.

Any hints and tips fully appreciated.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here is the van after I drove from gatwick airport to fife to pick her up. Worth the 20 hours of travelling.

First thing was to remove the roof bars, I chucked them on eBay just to see the interest, I received two offers and sold within 15 minutes.

Next, I removed the ply flooring and noticed this:

Luckily it was what I thought, water in an old copper pipe, didn't look too nice though. Brushed that away and removed the rest of the wood. The side ply is going to get trimmed and then carpeted.

Next job was something I wished I had done on my old van, remove the bulkhead frame. I used various threads on here to see the best method. I didn't want to use an angle grinder so I opted for a hammer, chisel, hacksaw blade and a rotating sander. Here are the pics after removal, I still have the drivers side to do as I was on a hill and ran out of time.

I hVe booked the van in for a pop top roof from rockinvans in Kilmarnock, they're going to fit a sliding window, cut my ply and fit an austop roof.

Next job for me is remove the drivers side bulk head frame, sound proof, insulate and carpet. Photos to follow

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So a few quick updates, I have been in the process of moving house, twice in a month so converting the van is not on my top of things to do.

I saw an old thread on here which advertised an old golf mk4 interior light slotting straight in. I was keen in getting a spot light for the front so bid on one on eBay, it came with all of the mk4 lights so I have spares if I decide to fit them.

Here is the new light fitted, note the two torq bits that hold the light in, you need to remove the clear plastic to reveal them, then carefully prise the light off.

Here is the light with door activation

And the two spotlights. Great cheap mod which upgrades the cab nicely.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Next up as I had a few spare hours was to fit the silent coat soundprofing that was bought from http://www.silentcoat.co.uk/vibration-damping/silent-coat-bulk-pack I emailed the guy to see what deal he could do as the prices on eBay and his website differed. He gave me 41 sheets, two boxes and a random spare sheet for £75 including postage. Great deal.

Here is the pack, it was pretty heavy!

I removed all of the ply and hardboard to reveal the void, I was a going to fit the silent coat, aluminium foil layer, recycled plastic insulation, foil layer then carpeted ply.

The area covered was one pack on 20 sheets plus the spare. I have covered all bare metal I can reach easily, including the area hidden by the horizontal beams. I am having wardrobes fitted to the rear right of the van so opted to sound proof there also.

I will sound proof the opposite side when I next return from offshore. Along with insulate and carpet.

So I won't be driving the van for the next two weeks so I won't be able to see the benefits, but I will hopefully see them! I'll report more ASAP.

Cheers

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I came home from work and found this in my van:

I had been saying to my girlfriend how I hated the dull original gear knob. So she searched the net and found one, bought it and fitted! It frustrates me as to how all of the van has chrome covers around most of the dash apart from a few things, I've also bought a nice light switch so will post that when it's here.

We moved house so the van was used well again, luckily I hadn't done too much to it so didn't mind things sliding around in the back.

First job after the move was to finish removing the bulkhead frame.

Much quicker this time as I knew what I was doing. It'll look good when it's carpeted.

I fitted the rest of the van with the remaining silent coat sound proofing.

Then I fitted a layer of foil with aluminium tape, recycled plastic insulation,

Then topped off with a second layer of foil wrapping.

I only had enough time to do the one quarter panel so I'll get the rest done on Wednesday. I'm having megavanmats deliver carpet tomorrow so I'll get that fitted as soon as possible.

The van is going in for a pop top roof in a few days so I have my work cut out if I'm going to get it all done.

Cheers

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well a few things got delivered today so I thought I'd get them fitted ready for the roof going in next week.

First up was my light switch

You push the knob in and rotate until it is vertical then pull out, swap the plugs over and away you go. All the lights work and I now have a front fog light switch when I get around to fitting them.

Next was a new grill and black VW badge, I got this from Swissvans who managed to cut me a deal.

I really like it, when I get the bumpers coloured I think it'll look nice and smart. I also got a rear VW badge in black also but it s honking down at the moment so will get it fittedl ater on.

Next was the carpet, I have read loads on here about fitting it so I just got on with it, I made a few mistakes which became apparent all too late, I'm getting ply panels to cover the middle of the carpet so most of my screw ups will be hidden.

Start just behind drivers door as recommended.

That stretch mark will get covered, first mistake was trying to stretch the carpet around instead of stretching in to the moulds.

The cut is to get access to the top of the wheel arch, I had missed glue.

So the carpeting s fitted to one side and it's raining again so I've stopped. I needed that side fitted to I could get it trimmed when I get my window fitted.

If it clears up for the rest of the day I'll fit the other side, hopefully with less mistakes.

Any hints and tips greatly appreciated:D

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After what I learned from carpeting the big side of my van I tackled the near side tonight, I am dropping the van off soon so getting it ready as fast as I can. I think it looks ok, pretty happy with it. I made a few mistakes overall and have some work to do to cover the rest of the van. I am waiting as I don't actually know what will be visible when the pop top roof is in. Here are the pics.

I am getting the rear quarter cut out for a window eventually and the door.

I also want to get the rear window tinted, or lined, or changed. It is currently clear so does anyone have any ideas what I can do, I don't want to line it if it is going to delaminate or scratch easily.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No new pictures yet as I am in the middle of the north sea, but some nice Audi TT Mk1 seats have arrived at home, along with a kiravan swivel.

Looking forward to getting them fitted when i return. First camping trip can't be far away now. Does anyone here have any additional info on wiring the heated seats? I have googled and seen people have discussed it but nothing about how to??

CheersT:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well I'm still away and the guy fitting the pop top has sent some pictures of Roxy complete with her new roof. The bed and ply panels are being cut out and fitted tomorrow morning. I pick her up in the afternoon so will post better pictures then.

Now I noticed in this picture that the rear window had been cut out, I wanted it as a false panel. I've not spoken to the converter about this but will see when I pick up tomorrow, I might like it. Too late now anyway!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I'm back home now and picked the van up from the converters on Thursday. Here are a few pictures;

I really like the black colour even more, makes the roof look slightly hidden.

Huge amounts of light in the rear of the van now, happy with the double window instead of a blank. I will be getting two in the other side when I get around to it.

My girlfriend bought her a nice purple garland also.

The bed is huge, the full footprint of the lwb flooring, I went for the hinges as I think they look better, and for extra room around my feet but with this size it's not needed.

Now I also bought some mk1 TT seats which I had the inspiration from seeing them on someone's build here.

I am fitting the drivers seat when my swivel arrives from kiravann. I decided to do one at a time unless it didn't work. They were really easy to fit, just a few holes and they look awesome.

Ply, finish carpet think about lights and electrics next.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Looking good mate, some nice work going on there. If I ever start again from scratch I will do just about all the work myself rather than pay someone else!!

I'm thinking that I need to start chrome'ing the interior out.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Cheers dt5714. It's certainly worth doing it all yourself. Much more sense of pride and you can have it exactly as you want (and can afford)

I quickly carpeted the old hardboard panels for the sides of the van. I've now ran out of big pieces of carpet and need to do three of the big panels, the tailgate, then the two lower panels behind the seats. I was going to carpet in a different colour but I had quite a bit of the original colour left and it didn't seem logical. Most of it will be hidden also so the colour difference wouldn't really be too noticeable.

That side will be in show, most of it anyway.

I didn't know which parts were going to be showing here, I figured the only pieces that could be are the top and the rear so I utilised all the spare carpet I had and covered this. I now need a small middle panel, the one I had was swallowed up in the conversion. Anyone got one spare?

So, electrics next, will be in touch with upspex for one of their kits I think. Has been shouted as the best on the market.

Cheers.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I've been busy on holiday for a week so not much has been done.

I have managed to clear up a few odds and sods, carpeted some panels inside, cleaned her, went on a quick campin trip. The majority of my time has been research. I have purchased a zig unit and inverter which are at my parents, a split charging kit from upspex and have started researching flooring. I read on here someone fitting some carpet type underlay under the ply then altro on top. I'm going for that but can't find the link to screw fix.

I am going for an orange and black theme with the altro floor going to be burnt orange. I am going to get units from evo designs and a rib bed both in orange and black.

I got my rear window tinted and de badged the tailgate, here are the pictures. Next up will be colour coded bumpers to remove the final plumbers van look.

Andy

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So funds have been low as I have just bought a house but I've been doing the slow cheaper stuff.

I researched what to do with the floor and made my mind set on 9mm ply in the gaps and flash band on the other exposed parts. The reason bring is I will have wood then more wood and then altro flooring. This will be enough for me, the flash band route was purely funds as silent coat is a lot more expensive.

That's the wood in place and glued down, flash band on the exposed metal.

I screwed the floor ply to the glued down ply and it's solid, the altro is a bit loose but when the units are down along with the bed it'll be solid.

I bought some fabric for wood covering to a light fixture I'm going to make this week, luckily the colours are almost identical.

Andy

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I bought some 4mm ply and measured the underside of my pop top ready for the lights. I should have used 6mm as the 4mm is flimsy but fine. I cut the ply and covered in the material I bought, it's a great colour and matches also. I then measured and screwed the dioders to the ply, drilled a hole to accept the wires and then offered it up to the roof, I then attached the light to the roof with screws which were hidden underneath the lights, the tricky part was attaching the light and then pushing the wire through as I needed to rotate the led in the housing, it worked, but I'm hoping I don't need to remove them.

So I need some Velcro for the front of the wood as its drooping a little, it will stick to the carpet just fine, then I need to make the one the otherside. I have wired them up to my interior light just so I get light in the van, it will run off my leisure battery when I get it fitted.

Cheers

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So it really has been an age since i done anything to the van as purchasing a house and then all the stuff that goes along with it is expensive!

I have fitted some 17inch steelies i picked up off a guy not too far away, lowering it 40mm when i get some time.

I've ordered some units from Ikea so watch this space and ill document all my mistakes i make. I have also ordered a headlight upgrade from upspex. was hoping it was going to turn up before i went away but i'll have to fit it when i return.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Well I have started fitting my Metod units, i have gone for a 40 width, fitted with drawers, then my Waeco CRP 40 with compressor removed, and then two 80cm units. The rear one will have another 80cm width unit on top. Above the Waeco will be the gas hob from the Smev, the sink will be to the right of the hob so there will be space for the water bottles underneath.

Very much a work in progress model as i am now war for 4 weeks. I've bought a Leisure battery and worktop today so will hopefully get some of it fitted before i leave on wednesday.

Will wire the fridge to the Leisure battery and finish fitting my split charge system.

Andy

1 - 20 of 37 Posts