VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.....only had the bus for 4 and a bit years, and in that time it has been through several changes of style but never quite finished! So with finishing in mind, I thought I'd start my very own build thread to (if you will) shame myself into sorting it out. Or if you prefer, give myself extra motivation to get it done. So, we begin with the day of purchase....July 2009. Already dropped 50mm, running on 18" Audi RS6's

And the first dip into the wallet.....side windows

to be continued.....

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Love the way your van looks.
Cheers. It's been a bit of a journey (and it ain't over yet).

So the next few pics are just me back tracking, trying to remember what order things were done in. I do remember I dismantled the rock and roll bed from my old T25, and just mackled together a static bed for my first camping trip to Porth but I can't find any pictures of that. So we start with my next dip into the wallet......front seats. These bad boys sit on custom made, swivel bases that rotate 180 degrees....

Next, if memory serves, I set about ply lining the back.....

And I carpet lined the whole thing with adhesive backed automotive carpet. Amazing stuff.....

Oh yeah, Vanx curtains too.

To be continued......

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I know it happened, so I have to include it but the least said about these hideous bumpers, the better. In my defence, I was always going to mod them to try to make them look more like a factory option but alas, t'was not meant to be....

Then, having had serious words with myself, I opted for the Audiosport standard style bumper with integral VR6 style splitter, and never looked back...

Ahhh that's better T:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup, agreed T:

What on earth possessed you I: :* sometimes less is more :D

So what's next on the agenda Andy ?

TURK
Yeah I know, they were horrible. Less is ALWAYS more, where vehicle modification is concerned. All gone now though. And I'm still going through a bit of history Turk so bear with me....
So these are various, historical pics of the interior in various stages. Carpet lined, rotating front seats and full width rock and roll bed.....

Blue LED's and chequer pattern roof lining came with the bus. The LED's are staying but the roof lining will change....

Window winders....

And, as ever, to be continued.....

·
Registered
273 Posts
I opted for the Audiosport standard style bumper with integral VR6 style splitter, and never looked back...

Ahhh that's better T:

Much better! I wish vw would make these as standard!:ILU:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And as I was going camping in Cornwall, summer 2013, I thought I'd tidy further.........

So keyed the bodywork and blew over with white primer.......

My only issue was using an electric spray gun, I had the paint too thick so the nearside looked a bit like artex (for those who remember what that is), so a huge amount of flatting back was, and will be required before new top coat. By the time I got to the drivers side, the consistency was right but I was running out of paint.....

But at least it was all one colour (mostly) for trips to Porth beach :cool:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So after going through 'chav' bumper stage, and back to standard (ish) bumper......my original thought was to colour code them, as you can probably tell from previous pics. However, as this project has been evolution rather than design, I got to thinking that, as mentioned previously in this thread, 'less is more'. With that in mind, I painted the front bumper satin black.....

And then back to standard headlights.....

And a smooth rear bumper, for a matching pair

And, as you may have noticed, it keeps getting a bit closer to the ground :cool:

To be continued.....

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So now we're bang up to date. Time to address the dropped sliding door. Being an early T4, the bottom runner is different to later models. So rather than just bolt a new bottom arm on, you have to grind off the old roller mechanism and attach the new one. Wasn't too difficult to be honest.

Cleaned up the arm, having used copious amounts of releasing fluid over a couple of days. The screws came free reasonably easily

The old roller really had past its best

New roller mechanism in place.....

After half an hour or so of tweaking, the sliding door now sits properly. Unfortunately, you're gonna have to wait for the picture.....

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Once I'd done the door, I moved on to some bits of bodywork I'd been avoiding for a while. I'm guessing there was a roof rack fitted at some point.....

Flatted back and primed...

I'll sort out the dents, and the eco system on the roof in due course.

So as far as history is concerned, that's about it. All that follows will be current updates. And I've been looking through a good number of these build threads and been incredibly impressed, and inspired. So thanks for looking. Feel free to leave comments, even suggestions, and....watch this space :ILU:

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,793 Posts
Excellent progress there mate, always nice to see how people go about their conversions and restorations.
Good idea 'updating' the front lower panel T: it's one of the only things I don't particularly like on the early models. Split panels make the front end look a little 'fussy' if you know what I mean.

Also, I got to agree with Geodawg ........ those wheels are superb ! T:

TURK

1 - 20 of 158 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.