VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my second T4 a couple of months ago to replace my 1998 2.4d. Working for a vw van centre helps managed to pick up this 2000 2.5tdi 95,000 on the clock with a blown gearbox for £500, BARGAIN! My plan is to covert it to a day/camper.

Managed to locate a ewb gearbox so got that in along with a new clutch. Removed all the sign writing and lowered it 60mm with some CMC springs. I then dug out some polished 9x17 porsche carrera rims ive been saving for a rainy day and fitted up some 225/45 17's offered them up they fit a treat.:jiggy

I got a little carried away and decided i wasnt happy with the paint and stripped it and started prep for a respray, tailgate conversion, side windows and possibly a full bodykit.

Spent an afternoon preesure washing all the grass and compost out of the back, its now squeaky clean and smelling alot better.

·
Premium Member
10,679 Posts
:jd500 quid??
did you mistype that??....that's more than a bargain fella. Sheesh - that sort of luck would never come my way even if i did work there.

Nice one:ILU:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the positive comments guys.
It was a rotate bargain, i couldnt belive it when the company said yes, wish id offered less now lol.
The wheels are on 18mm adaptors from kinky mick, really pleased with them.
got the gearbox for £495+VAT with 3 mth warranty not to bad but they seem really thin on the ground that was the only one i could find.
Will up date as i go want it ready for the road by early next year so should be fairly frequently.:ILU:

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
thats a top buy fella...1k for that has got to be the best price yu could ever expect.

dont forget to take many photos as you progress, why you might even get a sticky if you post regular updates.....

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got some more done today. Got a mate who works for national windscreens to remove the screen for me, drilled out the rounded off barn door hinge screws folllowed by some filling and flatting and rust removal from wheel arches (not my favorite job), cut a nice big hole in the side to let some light in and while waiting for body filler to harden started offering my electric 911 seats up to the FASP swivel seat bases i aquired from ebay the other day.
So not a bad day really.:ILU:

Oh and finally decided on a body kit ordered this one from germany.A:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi guys got a little further this last couple of weeks whilst waiting for my doors i started toying with where to mount my charge cooler.
The doors then arrived so cracked on and stripped them out and hung them and carried on with the paint prep. Still waiting on my body kit not sure where its got to and trying to locate a tailgate in decent condition is proving harder than i first thought.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally managed to locate a tailgate the other day and look what it turned up like, f:cing courier dropped it gutted. Trying to get some money back on it now.

ive now had to spend about 12 hours panel beating, shrinking and filling to make it good again getting there now though

nearly ready for a couple of primer coats another good flatting down and then off to the spray shop for the as yet undecided to colour

·
Registered
313 Posts
top job fella ...T:
great buy . great build . looking fat fanny stastic.
cant wait to see it in some colour.
brilliant thread im waiting for chip foose to appear.H:

nice one . lee .

·
Registered
283 Posts
Crikey! I thought the only one who was daft enough to get that carried away was me! I've only had the sliding door off but I have got the dash out.
I havnt really got the time & space to do this either but I havnt let that bother me, though the van would be on the road now if I had!

·
RIP
1,381 Posts
yup....colour choice......been there....done that!!!

Such a difficult choice when you can have ANY COLOUR YOU WANT!!!!!!

I ended up being held almost at gunpoint at the friendly paint factors, going through every book they had. Went through motorbike colours, (which I think would suit a full colour coded van with a kit really well. Tip...stand by a daylight window, noty under flouirescent lighting.

I eventually chose an old VW pistachio colour, which I felt went well with the black windows and bumpers I have, its the 'leap of faith' of seeing a small patch of colour and translating that to a full van. But you know what Im really happy with my choice. Its different but I feel suits the van well.

Good luck with whatver you choose! I feel for ya!

1 - 20 of 261 Posts