VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Bought my Caravelle 2.4d a couple of weeks back and love it to bits. She is pretty tidy and came with good history. A couple of little bits to do in time but in the whole I am impressed.

Ok so it's the 8 seater, so this is all good when People want to bum a lift with us when we are on family days out etc. Currently I have removed the middle row so as a family (wife + 3 kids) we have some chill out space on days out. Now comes the idea of camping in it etc. has anyone managed to do the camping thing with the rear bench installed as it is? Is there and way of adpting this into some temp bed? At this stage I really don't want to start losing rear bench and replacing with r+r bed. We are definitely going to get an awning and have seen the kids cab bunks online which look pretty impressive.

Just after a bit of advice really on what people have done without going the full hog and converting.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Hi. We've got a caravelle and use it as a camper. I find the best way to make a bed is to use the rear seat folded down with the parcel shelf. Keep the double seat in the middle and make up a piece of ply with a removable table leg to bridge the gap between the seats. Chuck a futon mattress on top and off you go. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
247 Posts
i am currently working on doing the exact same time. going to make up a kitchen unit form vohringer. still need it as 5 seater and sleeping. will keep you posted if you like.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I too have been working on a 'bed system' that retains the bench seat. Very 'heath robinson' but I think it's going to do the job. Once finished I'll get some pics up! T:

·
Registered
820 Posts
Personally I reckon that if you plan to use it as a camper then the rear bench seat has to be replaced with a rock and roll bed, unless you want a piece of ply knocking around in your van to put on top of folded seat as people above have suggested. With a bit of ingenuity you should be able to use the original VW seat belts/mounts. I put a small cooker unit in my 'velle and a flip around front seat. Along with an eberspacher and a porta-potti it makes a good basic but useable camper van:

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=168778

·
Registered
779 Posts
The guy that owned my Velle previously was a carpenter by trade & supplied a bed board set up to me with the van, I have only today got around to fitting it.
It also came with a re-enforced board to replace the parcel shelf, but I feel this is extra weight & not required as I think the factory parcel shelf works fine & looks nicer.

It's made of 1/2" MDF, two boards one of these is profiled to wrap arround the rear wheel arch when the rear seat is being used as a seat. I'll take a pic without the parcel shelf in later so this makes sence.
The boards are hinged as can be seen in the pics, one is screwed to the timber frame of the seat back so the whole assembly is held out of the way stowed against the seat when not used.
I need to make a bracket to support the parcel shelf a little better, I think as long as the parcel shelf is used for your feet & you don't get in & out from the tailgate, the standard shelf will be fine.

I would like to cover it in a vinyl next to match the interior.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Couple more pics.

If it's of interest & there is anybody near Bath that can produce a dimensional drawing your welcome to use this as a template.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I like that. How is the mdf secured to the rear seat and does it still allow you to use the original seat catches. Great idea.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I like that. How is the mdf secured to the rear seat and does it still allow you to use the original seat catches. Great idea.
Secured into the origonal seat frame which is wood using 10 x 1.1/4" woodscrews. Catches work exactly as they would normally, it does not inhibit the standard function of the seat in any way.

I also have a modular cooker & table unit which came with the van, these are sized to fit under the parcel shelf, or can be used to support the bed base when the middle row seats are removed.

Guy who made this kit was pretty insired, only flaw is although the workmanship is brilliant, it looks home made solely due to it all needing a plastic or vinyl covering.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Couple more pics.

If it's of interest & there is anybody near Bath that can produce a dimensional drawing your welcome to use this as a template.

Thats exactly how i want to do mine nice 1,the only prob i have is mine is the 7 seater so i have a gap inbetween the 2 middle seats T:T:T:

·
Registered
925 Posts
Secured into the origonal seat frame which is wood using 10 x 1.1/4" woodscrews. Catches work exactly as they would normally, it does not inhibit the standard function of the seat in any way.

I also have a modular cooker & table unit which came with the van, these are sized to fit under the parcel shelf, or can be used to support the bed base when the middle row seats are removed.

Guy who made this kit was pretty insired, only flaw is although the workmanship is brilliant, it looks home made solely due to it all needing a plastic or vinyl covering.
I made my cooker pod from a trailer tent kitchen had to shorten it by 30mm and remove the legs as it is also free standing so i can used it in an awning T: i have re-painted the pod since these pics I:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Ok thanks, I'm now going for a similar design. Also could you get away without the board on the back of the seat and just use one board. Ta

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi. We've got a caravelle and use it as a camper. I find the best way to make a bed is to use the rear seat folded down with the parcel shelf. Keep the double seat in the middle and make up a piece of ply with a removable table leg to bridge the gap between the seats. Chuck a futon mattress on top and off you go. Hope that makes sense.
I did think of doing that until i popped out the middle row of seats and preferred the space. I definitely need 3 seats in the rear when going away so thought i'd keep the back row in

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I made my cooker pod from a trailer tent kitchen had to shorten it by 30mm and remove the legs as it is also free standing so i can used it in an awning T: i have re-painted the pod since these pics I:
i like this mate.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i'm glad their are some other Caravelle owners who are doing a similar kind of thing. Nothing to flash but does the trick nicely.

Have any of you fitted leisure battery and hook up? How have you gone about this?

·
Registered
925 Posts
i'm glad their are some other Caravelle owners who are doing a similar kind of thing. Nothing to flash but does the trick nicely.

Have any of you fitted leisure battery and hook up? How have you gone about this?
Not as yet i ran out of penny's for the min but will be getting it sorted very soon as we gonna be doing our first weekend in it in August the week after we get married T:T:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts