VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noooo.... this isnt the opening line to a really bad joke, and please dont call the RSPCA - no actual animals are involved.

OK this is a really lame start to a thread, but its a monday and Im trying to be humourous so work with me here OK people? LOL:

Anyway - on tickover there is a rattling coming from aound the location of the CAT. I stopped the engine and gave the exhaust a few technically expert smacks with my fist and have ascertained that the rattling is coming from the CAT or there abouts

Has this happened to anyone before? Does this sound like the CAT has gone, or is it something more sinister?

Either way, I continued to drive 3.5 hours home to Manchester without any issues what so ever, and the engine seemed to breathe a bit easier / bit smoother accelleration and the turbo seemed to kick in later.

I not worried if its the CAT - Il smash out the innards for the time being (to stop people staring at me as I drive past!) and save for a stainless system.

Any advice greatly appreciated T:

·
Registered
372 Posts
has the cat got a guard fastened around it. if it has, it may have rusted and come loose at the various weld spots. i've had this before on cars, and the vibration makes it rattle a bit like dragging a loud of tin cans under the car. to solve it...rip the guard off P.S i can not be held responsible for any unwanted damage if you decide to use this advice I:

·
Premium Member
8,089 Posts
Thsi is what happens tio CATs eventually they become clogged then breakup, the worst thing that can happen is a large lump can dislodge and block the exhaust.

There are some people that like to drill self tapping screws into the parts which are rattling to secure them, stops the silly noise.

But it sounds like a great time to de-cat if you have a diesel.

·
Registered
403 Posts
My cat made the same noise, found that it had sheered completely after the cat near the joint, I gave it a good wiggle when I first noticed it and couldnt find anything wrong , carried on driving (and did a fair few miles I: ) it was only when I crawled underneath and tried moving the exhaust again when cold that i found the problem :eek:
Hope yours is nothing too serious and just loose tinware /heat shielding T:

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers everyone. I will have a propper look tonight.

Its the original exhaust and cat (just over 101 thousand miles) so its not such a bad thing, and to be expected really!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right... Ive done a wee bit of research and I would like to fit a 2.5" system (as recommended by others on the forum), no back boxes BUT with a sports cat.

I believe the standard cat has 400cpi (cells per inch) and a sports / performance cat has 200 or even 100 cpi

However I understand the cat needs to be matched to my horsepower... can anyone advise?

Im going to call a few places tomorrow for some quotes T:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Mine made a rattleing noise for a while, I didn't think anything of it, till it went completely and left me stranded on the a55 north wales, and had to be recovered back to manchester

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Si - no need for a cat mate - it's a diesel (they're actually particle filters anyway.....)

They don't do a cat test on the MOT, just a smaoke test - and the cat (PF) makes no odds on that score as far as I recall.

So - get your system, but don't waste money on the cat replacement - just get a pipe!! :)

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do like the idea of having a straight through system... but would it not massively increase my emissions if I didnt have a CAT (or PF)?

I mean I know driving a diesel is bad enough anyway blah blah blah but for my concience Im not sure I want to do away with one altogether...

Everyone call me a hippy now LOL:

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
hippy :D,do away with the cat(particle filter)just fit a de cat pipe,if you have a concience then put an exhaust box on the replacement pipe

i can honestly say i removed my cat last year and ive never seen any flowers die at the side of the road due to this :D

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know I know, but they were fitted for a reason were they not?

I need to get some more research done before I decide properly...

De-cat is tempting though....

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah whatever!

My morals are intact - you lot are a bunch of morally decrepit, baby seal clubbers.

You can all crawl on your knees to my statue of virtue and bask in its glow

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well I went to get the cat pipe off this weekend and....

Its definately the cat's internals that are loose.

Furthermore, I couldnt undo the nuts on the U-bracket that holds the pipe... completely sheared one of the bolts of the U-bracket - I wasnt even using a breaker bar - just an ordinary spanner!

I dont even want to mention what the bolts looked like on the triangular plate where the cat joins the engine!

Long and short - Im going to be saving my pennies and getting a decent system on ASAP, but for now I dont want to try to remove the exhaust unless I completely bugger up the mounting points and have to cable tie it in place!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts