VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After T4 ownership of 279,000 miles in my last one, I've moved up a size to afford storage inside and a better refuse from inclement weather.

The Crafter ticked all the boxes and although not as pretty as any 'bus', it will have the usual enhancements that VW struggle with! Its a rare Shiftmatic MWB in silver. So it has a semi auto gearbox. Nice!

I've had the rig for a few months, but have been unable to work on it, but have amassed a few bits and bobs to get cracking with. So hopefully with a few good long days, I can have what I'm after.

Its a no chintz, no useless furniture, no brass rail, etc build that will offer comfort, flexibility and will still be to a high standard of fit and finish.

My plan: A Reimo seat in the mid section of the van, on its rails. Mostly to be used as a seat, but offering fore and aft adjustment and the occasional bed needs. The cycles to be stored in the rear; not in an enclosed garage, but using that 'garage' space. With a bed above which will always be moveable and removable.

I have an Eber sink for one rear door and a bike work stand for the other. Full mains/12v, with charging, generator and leisure battery....with 12v sockets front and rear, 240v sockets front and rear, with full led lighting. The hardware to be stored in the passenger seat base along with a safe and possibly a sub for the stereo.

I was going to convert the double cab seat to a single, but have found the space under very useful, and the spare seat good as a desk, map holder, etc, especially with its fold down tray... and there is plenty room in the back without turning the seats round.

Side windows going in the mid section, but not the rear or doors. A rear step, towball, triple spotlights on the front and alloys and BF Goodrich AT tyres finish of the utilitarian outside.

I've always made vehicles faster, lower, wider, phat'er - but maybe its a sign of old age creeping in, but this one is staying all high and bouncy!

The above list is not exhaustive, but its a start. The ubiquitous heater is going in, but I don't know if I'll try Propex instead of Eber for exmple...Stereo will offer usual benefits, but is last on my purse strings....and so on.

I'll put up some pics of the goodies that are going in, and of pics on the web that I'm doing similar to (read - copy). I'm looking forward to the end result - an all the space i need rig with the security of the storage; flexibility of the design and usability of the additions.

Heres a couple of pics to get the ball rolling...

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Right, here's a 'not in any order' list of pics I have. It gives some idea of the 'big' bits going in. When they are installed I'll cover with descriptions and pictorials, but this is just a half full basket to pick from...

Reimo Seat - allowing a large lounge with the seat clicked back at the rear arches. Allowing the garage to expand if required. The tracks will be sunk flush into the floor.

An Eber sink. To be installed on the rear door. Holds water at 68'c and allows me to get the worst off before getting into the van after a mucky MTB ride for example. This is a spanking new one.

Electrics seem to be pretty much covered by this package by Extremevan. Its going to be more than enough.
http://www.xtremevan.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=5262

Seitz roof vent bought. To fit mid ship above the 'lounge'

With 9mm board to be used in the rear, so that it gives structure to mount onto and screw into, with 6 else where, Veltrim looks like the best wearing, cheapest, and easiest to fit option. This seems a good offer and with good word of mouth, i'm swayed to Mega Van Mats;
http://www.megavanmats.com/liningcarpet.htm

Removable bike work stand to be mounted on the door when in use

A very rare and quality bit of kit made by Sortimo (T5 centre tables). Idea is that it is fully flexible in mounting and removal to an awning ect...

BF Goodrich AT tyres, in a 'man size' fitment. Huge in comparison and weighing an absolute tonne. I took my lead off the third pic, so I know that fit - just!

http://topgeek.smugmug.com/Other/NEX7-HDR/i-vfzTn8n/0/XL/sprinter-hdr2-XL.jpg

Insulation and sound deadening.

All panels will have deadening on them in some way. I'm using 'Brownbread. It costs a fortune! (the silver stuff in pic 1&2) Ive already started, the insulation as well. It will be Celotex board with expanded foam around the edges and sticking the panel onto the van. Leaving no cavities to create condensation. Quiet, warm/cool and with no health risk like damp wool or fractured rock wool.

A couple of pics to show what I want my finished rig to resemble. All Outsidevan. An American Sprinter converter.

Finally I'd normally start with (pic1), make it (pic2) but this time will go more (pic3).

And I'll leave you with this Youtube clip. Imagine the idea in an MWB and your there.

I had my (one off) plans, and then found them done before - !
http://youtu.be/cAGyrofLgGo

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
Right, here's a 'not in any order' list of pics I have. It gives some idea of the 'big' bits going in. When they are installed I'll cover with descriptions and pictorials, but this is just a half full basket to pick from...

Reimo Seat - allowing a large lounge with the seat clicked back at the rear arches. Allowing the garage to expand if required. The tracks will be sunk flush into the floor.

An Eber sink. To be installed on the rear door. Holds water at 68'c and allows me to get the worst off before getting into the van after a mucky MTB ride for example. This is a spanking new one.

Electrics seem to be pretty much covered by this package by Extremevan. Its going to be more than enough.
http://www.xtremevan.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=5262

Seitz roof vent bought. To fit mid ship above the 'lounge'

With 9mm board to be used in the rear, so that it gives structure to mount onto and screw into, with 6 else where, Veltrim looks like the best wearing, cheapest, and easiest to fit option. This seems a good offer and with good word of mouth, i'm swayed to Mega Van Mats;
http://www.megavanmats.com/liningcarpet.htm

Removable bike work stand to be mounted on the door when in use

A very rare and quality bit of kit made by Sortimo (T5 centre tables). Idea is that it is fully flexible in mounting and removal to an awning ect...

BF Goodrich AT tyres, in a 'man size' fitment. Huge in comparison and weighing an absolute tonne. I took my lead off the third pic, so I know that fit - just!

http://topgeek.smugmug.com/Other/NEX7-HDR/i-vfzTn8n/0/XL/sprinter-hdr2-XL.jpg

Insulation and sound deadening.

All panels will have deadening on them in some way. I'm using 'Brownbread. It costs a fortune! (the silver stuff in pic 1&2) Ive already started, the insulation as well. It will be Celotex board with expanded foam around the edges and sticking the panel onto the van. Leaving no cavities to create condensation. Quiet, warm/cool and with no health risk like damp wool or fractured rock wool.

A couple of pics to show what I want my finished rig to resemble. All Outsidevan. An American Sprinter converter.

Finally I'd normally start with (pic1), make it (pic2) but this time will go more (pic3).

And I'll leave you with this Youtube clip. Imagine the idea in an MWB and your there.

I had my (one off) plans, and then found them done before - !
http://youtu.be/cAGyrofLgGo
that lowerd one looks good

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Ok, its not the fastest build in history - but things have happened!

Yesterday Dean @ Van Doc fitted my side windows. I had a lazy moment and drafted in a pro to do a 'big' job. He had it done in no time and the finish is great. I bought Van-X smoked windows with sliders on both sides, so that i have a pleasant environment 'camper/caravan' style when inside. Not quite as flash looking as limo tint, but better for purpose. With curtains behind, they will look limo when required.

They are huge! In comparison to my T4, they are massooooosive.

I very happy with the window quality and with the look on the van. Inside, its gone from dark box to green house.

I don't want the 'garage' rear 'bed' area windowed, so I no windows in the rear sides or on the rear doors.

Thats windows ticked off the 'to do' list! yipee....

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got told that the other day about Leo compliance and how to get round it by fitting windows, do you know anything about it

Alan
SB
Alan, its complicated and my understanding is that windows or not its about the year of manufacture. I had a Caravelle Executive. Its a 'car' on the V5 - it has windows.

Look up the info on their web site - email them - phone them...

All I know is that I fell under their radar, and then in the process of selling they changed their mind and I was now compliant! So what ever you decide, make sure that you have it in writing!

1 - 20 of 119 Posts