VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people.
I have a T4 1.9 ABL TD that went blurp over the weekend. The previous owner has done work and any thing they had done I have had to redo 馃檮 but this one I didn鈥檛 see coming and it has died. I am after a New/Refurbished engine. Please help 馃槵馃檶馃徎馃檶馃徎

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I have a mechanic friend and we have an agreement. I plumb and he mechanics. It works well but I think I will owe him a lot of plumbing after this one 馃槅馃槵鉂ゐ煒

Full of Cr*p....
You need to get yourself a Polish lodger. (y)
Mine rents the basement for about half the going rate, BUT...ANY jobs that need doing on one any of our 3 vehicles (or removing the engine/gearbox from a scrap 'velle), and "little things" like cutting the grass, trimming the hedges, FELLING a TREE that was in the way...he just does it on a Saturday or after finishing work.
ONLY time he won't do anything, is a Sunday (Catholic).
He also make food for us sometimes...LOL

He also has a "contact" with Polish wagon drivers..we call it "The Polish Store", where twice/month the drivers of big wagons deliver such goodies as Vodka and "rare" foods.

NEVER will he take any money for spending hours sorting vehicles out...he calls it fun!

Registered
He also has a "contact" with Polish wagon drivers..we call it "The Polish Store", where twice/month the drivers of big wagons deliver such goodies as Vodka and "rare" foods.

NEVER will he take any money for spending hours sorting vehicles out...he calls it fun!

If he's looking for a holiday, I can send you my post code. :p

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Funny you say that. I鈥檝e spoken to them today about getting a new/remanufacturered engine from them. I didn鈥檛 realise there was a difference between remanufactured and refurbished. With a refurbished engine they only need to replace the broken part. But a remanufactured engine rings that they replace all the parts To the manufacturers specification, or that was my understanding of it Does anybody know if there鈥檚 much extra work added if you change it from a TD to a TDI

Premium Member
Don鈥檛 let all the info fry your brain.... there is a lot of info out there but it really isn鈥檛 that hard if you just take your time with it.

Your existing TD engine has the turbo, manifold and exhaust down pipe that you need.... so that鈥檚 a bonus for you.

You鈥檒l see when you pull the 鈥渘ew鈥 tdi out that the engine blocks are virtually identical so physically putting the engine to the gearbox and putting it all under the bonnet is very straightforward. You鈥檝e just got to move the dipstick hole which is a piece of piddle.

This is the important bit..... DO NOT BE INTIMIDATED BY THE ELECTRICS! THEY鈥橰E EASY! people will tell you they are a headache but they really aren鈥檛 anymore complicated than wiring up Stereo Separates. Just lay the handful of sensors and gizmos out on the floor, plug your loom into everything you need , label it all, take it apart then put it into place in the van. I got my knickers in a knot because I listened to everyone who said the electrics were complicated and then expected to run into trouble with them. They are not complicated! And I have no experience of auto electrics whatsoever..... alternatively, lob the engine and gearbox in (easy) and get an auto electrician to wire it, it won鈥檛 take them more than a few hours.

Vagtronics for ECU mods (delete the immobiliser just to make life easier)

Use a T5 intercooler.... Sprinter ones are cack and don鈥檛 fit right, I鈥檝e found.

Keep your mechanical speedo.

Spend the money on custom intercooler pipes. One less headache, everything comes off the shelf and you can put it exactly where you want it. Viper Performance hoses have a fabulous website for picking pipes and bends and sensor sockets and stuff....

Just do it.......

Registered
Don鈥檛 let all the info fry your brain.... there is a lot of info out there but it really isn鈥檛 that hard if you just take your time with it.

Your existing TD engine has the turbo, manifold and exhaust down pipe that you need.... so that鈥檚 a bonus for you.

You鈥檒l see when you pull the 鈥渘ew鈥 tdi out that the engine blocks are virtually identical so physically putting the engine to the gearbox and putting it all under the bonnet is very straightforward. You鈥檝e just got to move the dipstick hole which is a piece of piddle.

This is the important bit..... DO NOT BE INTIMIDATED BY THE ELECTRICS! THEY鈥橰E EASY! people will tell you they are a headache but they really aren鈥檛 anymore complicated than wiring up Stereo Separates. Just lay the handful of sensors and gizmos out on the floor, plug your loom into everything you need , label it all, take it apart then put it into place in the van. I got my knickers in a knot because I listened to everyone who said the electrics were complicated and then expected to run into trouble with them. They are not complicated! And I have no experience of auto electrics whatsoever..... alternatively, lob the engine and gearbox in (easy) and get an auto electrician to wire it, it won鈥檛 take them more than a few hours.

asto van turbo, sell it & use car setup, it's designed & adjusted for the tdi engine AND makes for a neater conversion (y) - just needs a downpipe fabricating (iirc,3 cuts & a section of straight pipe welding in)

as to wiring, I have done a few & remotely helped a lot of people to convert (ahem:unsure:) - not just t4's either...

if you are on fb, theres a 'VW T4 Tdi (Community)' group and I've written 'how-to's' on mk3 golf & B4 Passat tdi looms and also fitting a t5's intercooler (with photo's & pipework lists to fit 1.9tdi in a t4 with the car turbo)

it's a weeks work but easily completed in a good weekend(y)

Rich.

Premium Member
don鈥檛 think I don鈥檛 appreciate it Rich.... you did help me a great deal for which I am eternally grateful.

Loui鈥 can be confident, however, that a TDi conversion is possible and feasible without too much drama and that was what he asked, after all....

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
don鈥檛 think I don鈥檛 appreciate it Rich.... you did help me a great deal for which I am eternally grateful.

Loui鈥 can be confident, however, that a TDi conversion is possible and feasible without too much drama and that was what he asked, after all....
Thanks for your time and effort I honestly appreciate everyone鈥檚 comments. At the end of the day it will be cost and time I guess. The remanufactured engine is 拢1700 plus then fitting it and then making it a TDI. What type of cost would I be looking at?

Premium Member
You dont need to spend that sort of money. I bought my donor car for 拢100. Sold the parts i didnt need for well over a grand then spent a small amount of that on intercooler pipes and the rest on driving my van down to Alicante for a week in the sun after id finished the conversion (seem to remember Rich helped me out during that too ;)

With a decent donor car, youre talking 拢500 max to DIY it.

Premium Member
they鈥檒l be a few that we鈥檙e nicked and abandoned though...... might be a good idea to keep an eye out for what鈥檚 lying upside down in the ditches on a sunny Sunday morning around Sunderland...

I know of an AFN powered B5 in Sheffield. Only 拢100 but I havent got time to go all the way up there at the moment...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts