VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I just got back from my first trip away in the new T5...

I was very tempted to go to Beaulieu, but I had a customer meeting in Harrogate on Thursday, and so it seemed an ideal starting point for a tour of the Yorkshire Dales and the Lake District.

Our first night was spent in a campsite at Langcliffe, near Settle. It was a decent enough site with electrical hook up and very friendly staff. Think we paid around £24 with the awning. It chucked down with rain all night, and with two wet muddy dogs in the van, I must admit my faith in the whole camping thing wavered for a moment.

At least my daughter, Jemima, had a comfortable night across the front seats in her own little cosy pod! (The roof conversion has yet to be done... (with Ansett Automotive on the 1st Sept)).

It brightened up the next day and a visit to the Ribblehead viaduct lifted my spirits. Maybe this touring lark was going to be a whole load of fun, after all!

After we'd finished wandering around at the foot of the viaduct, it was time to ring around for a campsite pitch... My missus found one in the Camping & Caravaning Club's book, but with three people, the awning and two dogs, they were trying to charge us £50!!! I think the woman at the end of the phone must have heard me swear tell Tracey to just hang up on her!

In the end, I decided a run to Cumbria was in order and one phone call to a campsite at Castlerigg got us a pitch for £24; much more like it! And..... the sun was out for a splendid evening!

http://skasouls.com/images/Castlerigg.jpg

http://skasouls.com/images/Sunset.jpg

The next day we thought we'd take a drive over to Wasdale Head to check out potential campsites, but what I thought would be an uneventful drive through some amazing scenery, turned into a unforgettable slog up Britain's steepest roads, the Wrynose and Hardknott Passes at 1:3 (33%) gradient. By the time we'd reached the steepest parts of the Hardknott Pass, we were in the clouds on slippery roads and it was touch and go at times whether we were going to make it. Very pleased (and smug) to say we did make and were able to pull into a parking spot on the other side of the summit and watch another van driver fail and have to reverse some distance back before turning round and retreat defeated.

http://skasouls.com/images/Wrynose.jpg

Castlerigg Farm Campsite was good enough to warrant a second night's stay but the weather was closing in again and we'd heard about the heatwave some of you were enjoying in the south, so we thought we'd try a night in the Peak District in the valiant hope that the hot weather was extending as far north as Derbyshire... It wasn't.

In the Peak District, I can definitely recommend Pindale Farm campsite in Castleton in the Edale/Hope valley... Very friendly people run the place, and after you've paid the £7 per person and £4 for electric hookup, everything else is free (showers, washing, drying etc).

I can definitely advise you against the campsite at Cooper's Farm in Edale, however.... The guy I spoke to on the phone couldn't have been more dour and miserable, and his wife was simply rude. When I mentioned my experience to the folks at Pindale Farm, they smiled knowingly.

So that summarises my first foray into the world of VW camping. The van performed admirably, we played spot-the-T5 each day and the holiday was notable for its absence of domestic rows. I think I could get into this lark. T:

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Glad your van is working for you and thanks for posting up details of camp sites. Recomendations are invaluable to all of us. cool pics as well!A:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We chose not to go with the cab bunk, as we thought it was too pricey for what it is.... She's sleeping on an inflatable matress that's incorporated into a sleeping bag. It's a kiddies' "ready bed" that we had lying around. She took a while to get used to it on the first night, but for the rest of our tour, she loved it and was the last to get out of bed each morning. :)

·
Registered
915 Posts
Thanks. We never thought of those and we have two already so I'll try one later. Is it laid directly on the seat?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, it is, with the seats pushed as far back away from the steering wheel as we could manage. Add the padded window covers and possibly a curtain to separate the cab from the rear part of the vehicle, and you've created a cosy little den that is an adventure all of its own for the little'n.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts