VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forum.

So, I'd always wanted a T4, my partner and I always camp wherever we go - and kept seeing lovely T4s with conversions.
Lockdown hit, but likely I work from home - however, no more commuting meant I had evenings free and money saved from trains!

We decided to go down the self conversion route - so, it has it's "character" - mainly because of me and my mates dodgy carpentry skills. I'm fairly happy with the result. We have all the electrics done (split charger to the leisure battery etc) with spot lights and under counter LEDs, cladding (yeah, bloody van life), and made a slide out bed, recycled alot of **** we had from the garage to repurpose, so its been a good journey discovering **** we had forgotten about that was perfect.

Next is Roof bars, I need some aren't drilled, so clamped - so if there any recommendations let me know. I'm getting a bit confused (never had to buy them, and can't really understand where they would clamp into, especially the cruz ones). It's for surfboards mainly.

Let us know what you think.....

104213937_256802832313353_197915695858506266_n.jpg
102997167_289935062188494_7464589909199074818_n.jpg
104047612_808932906178197_7563414717534928065_n.jpg
104531807_294358781604651_7269674415702735973_n.jpg

Attachments

Premium Member
Welcome aboard and to van life 馃 Looks like a fantastic conversion you've done.
Not sure about the T4's, but the roof bars on my T5 bolt into the gutter rails using existing holes. Have you had a nosy at the roof to see if anything pre-exists?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pduk! Campsites look like they're opening so we need to build a temporary shower from our water pump and have a portaloo!!

Just a gutter with no fixing points :(! I think I'll take the plunge and can always return them.

Premium Member
Ah, I'm only a year into owning my first van so learning a lot.
Can't wait to get out there camping, once we get the green light there'll be campers dispersing off in all directions.
There are a wealth of knowledgeable people on here who know so much more about the T4's, someone will be along to offer up some help and advice (y)

Registered
4th July campsites are allowed to re-open. Shared facilities such as shower and toilet blocks are open too but with increased cleaning to be put in place 馃憤 .
Not long now :cool:.
Looking good FF you should be very pleased of yourselves.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!

Can't wait to get out there actually. Just need to get the roof bars for the surfboards, and then that's it. We're off!

We have booked a few campsites and they've told us we'd have to use our own facilities so we'll take a portaloo etc.

Premium Member
All sounds good, I've been looking into a portable shower and a portaloo, but not got the room in the van to house it. I wonder if I could mount a "bathroom" on the roof? 馃毧馃毥:LOL:

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
We are thinking of attaching a detachable shower head and pipe to our tap haha! It may end up a bit more of a hose.

When we booked, they did say they will have warm water outside, if you don't mind washing outside in shorts or something. It's going to be toilets that are going to be a bit mental haha. We've sourced a portaloo, it's just where to store it. We're taking a popup tent, I'm not doing that in the Van :ROFLMAO:

Premium Member
I'll be investing in a drive away awning so will be able to store thigs in there, might just have to strap the loo in the back while in transit, then move it to the awning.
Yeah certainly don't fancy going in the van 馃槀

If you've got a tailgate you can easily hang a shower curtain from it 馃導
I've got barn doors, although I saw at a show I can get a canopy to span the doors, I'm sure I could fashion a curtain from there :unsure:

Premium Member
I'll be investing in a drive away awning so will be able to store thigs in there, might just have to strap the loo in the back while in transit, then move it to the awning.

I've got barn doors, although I saw at a show I can get a canopy to span the doors, I'm sure I could fashion a curtain from there :unsure:
Or just stay "aromatic " 馃樂

Registered
Discussion Starter #14

We actually have an awning -its a pole one, not sure we'll use it as we'll be travelling from spot to spot, I bought it from a mate it's a Kyham driveaway one, I was thinking of putting over the storm straps as i don't have a awning rail. Not sure we'll use it, but if you're sorta close, more then welcome to have it.

Barn door Canopy - I'm looking into that!!

Registered
Using the loo's on a campsite are no different to using the loos in a supermarket or shopping centre .
You wash your hands on the way out and carry a little hand sanitizer.
Everyone see's toilets as being worse for corona virus germs but why are they any different to any door handle or hard surface that other people touch?
Increase cleaning and being aware of washing your hands more frequently and not rubbing your face ..simples!

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Using the loo's on a campsite are no different to using the loos in a supermarket or shopping centre .
Everyone see's toilets as being worse for corona virus germs but why are they any different to any door handle or hard surface that other people touch?
Increase cleaning and being aware of washing your hands more frequently and not rubbing your face ..simples!
Yep, totally agree - the sites we have booked have closed the loos unfortunately :( so having to make do with a porta-loo.

Registered
I suppose thats a different story if the site has decided not to open their facilities .
We have a portaloo but its strictly number 1's only and i need a shower so any sites we book we'll be double checking the amenities are all open . 馃憤

Premium Member
Or just stay "aromatic " 馃樂
This has been the case after a few bike rides, just nice to have a wash down and freshen up (y)
We actually have an awning -its a pole one, not sure we'll use it as we'll be travelling from spot to spot, I bought it from a mate it's a Kyham driveaway one, I was thinking of putting over the storm straps as i don't have a awning rail. Not sure we'll use it, but if you're sorta close, more then welcome to have it.

Barn door Canopy - I'm looking into that!!
Thanks mate, appreciate the offer! I'd hang on to it if I were you, you may find some holidays destinations would make nice use of the awning.
I can't remember the name of the company that I saw, was "(insert word here) and (insert word here)", is that helpful? 馃槀
I'm thinking more for when I'm out biking and not staying on a camp site, otherwise like you say as long as you take care to keep yourself clean.

Registered
Sounds very sensible if you have no site facilities to use .
One of those pump to pressure plant sprayers to shower yourself with when you get back from a ride ;) .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts