VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

My First Conversion

1K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  gtijames 
#1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum.

So, I'd always wanted a T4, my partner and I always camp wherever we go - and kept seeing lovely T4s with conversions.
Lockdown hit, but likely I work from home - however, no more commuting meant I had evenings free and money saved from trains!

We decided to go down the self conversion route - so, it has it's "character" - mainly because of me and my mates dodgy carpentry skills. I'm fairly happy with the result. We have all the electrics done (split charger to the leisure battery etc) with spot lights and under counter LEDs, cladding (yeah, bloody van life), and made a slide out bed, recycled alot of **** we had from the garage to repurpose, so its been a good journey discovering **** we had forgotten about that was perfect.

Next is Roof bars, I need some aren't drilled, so clamped - so if there any recommendations let me know. I'm getting a bit confused (never had to buy them, and can't really understand where they would clamp into, especially the cruz ones). It's for surfboards mainly.

Let us know what you think.....

Vehicle Car Room Trunk Recreation
Sky Room Ceiling Architecture Tree
Sky Room Vehicle Tree Car
Vehicle Car Vehicle door Automotive exterior Van

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome aboard and to van life 🤙 Looks like a fantastic conversion you've done.
Not sure about the T4's, but the roof bars on my T5 bolt into the gutter rails using existing holes. Have you had a nosy at the roof to see if anything pre-exists?

#4 ·
Ah, I'm only a year into owning my first van so learning a lot.
Can't wait to get out there camping, once we get the green light there'll be campers dispersing off in all directions.
There are a wealth of knowledgeable people on here who know so much more about the T4's, someone will be along to offer up some help and advice (y)

#10 ·
We are thinking of attaching a detachable shower head and pipe to our tap haha! It may end up a bit more of a hose.

When we booked, they did say they will have warm water outside, if you don't mind washing outside in shorts or something. It's going to be toilets that are going to be a bit mental haha. We've sourced a portaloo, it's just where to store it. We're taking a popup tent, I'm not doing that in the Van :ROFLMAO:

#15 ·
Using the loo's on a campsite are no different to using the loos in a supermarket or shopping centre .
You wash your hands on the way out and carry a little hand sanitizer.
Everyone see's toilets as being worse for corona virus germs but why are they any different to any door handle or hard surface that other people touch?
Increase cleaning and being aware of washing your hands more frequently and not rubbing your face ..simples!

#16 ·
Using the loo's on a campsite are no different to using the loos in a supermarket or shopping centre .
You wash your hands on the way out and carry a little hand sanitizer.
Everyone see's toilets as being worse for corona virus germs but why are they any different to any door handle or hard surface that other people touch?
Increase cleaning and being aware of washing your hands more frequently and not rubbing your face ..simples!
Yep, totally agree - the sites we have booked have closed the loos unfortunately :( so having to make do with a porta-loo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.