VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals, joined here last week and just want to share my build from start to finish, as this will probably yield some vital advice which may also be helpful to other self build novices! Picked up my base van last week and feverishly started research into ideas and systems, I鈥檝e ordered a shed load of stuff which has started to arrive 馃槉 I鈥檓 going with an evo designs interior, it鈥檚 pricey but really nice! Smev hot and cold sink, top loading Webasto fridge, 130w solar system, split charge and 230v hook up, 2000w inverter and lots of flashy led spots! I will keep updated as progress is made! Hoping to get done in about 4 weeks which is optimistic I know 馃槀

Premium Member
Exciting times when parts start arriving! Watching with interest to see your 4 week build 馃榿 pooch seems happy with your purchase too (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
4 weeks ....gonna be a busy time (y)
Like a black bus always look good 馃槑
Really busy I guess! Most stuff is here or on the way, the only thing that will put a spanner in the works is the m1 rock n roll bed and matching front seats, lead time is 7 weeks 馃槩, but they are in the gti cloth that I really want for my bus and there is nowhere else I can find that does anything as good, so, it鈥檒l be the full build apart from the bed and front seats until then! A mattress for me and mrs phil till then!

Registered
Nice van! Just finished fitting my Evo kit (with top loading fridge) and very pleased with it (y)
Good luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Nice van! Just finished fitting my Evo kit (with top loading fridge) and very pleased with it (y)
Good luck.
Thanks mate, I鈥檓 happy with it! Which evo kit did you go for? How did it fit? Ive gone for the top load fridge too, was initially going for a 3 way but after talking to a guy at evo decided this was the best option, got any pics of your kit fitted?

Registered
I have a twin slider so it limited my choice of what would fit or work well. After discussing with Evo I went for the 7.4 pro. These were part way through fitting:

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I have a twin slider so it limited my choice of what would fit or work well. After discussing with Evo I went for the 7.4 pro. These were part way through fitting:

View attachment 182640 View attachment 182641
That looks really nice mate, doing a top job by the looks of it! Loving the light bar above the sink/hob, that鈥檚 one thing that swayed me towards the evo kit, excited for mine to arrive and start fitting, I鈥檝e gone for black with black sparkle work tops, silver oak flooring and light grey suede roof, have you gone down the solar route?

Registered
Cool, look forward to seeing the progress. No solar yet, waiting to try the van out for a bit without before deciding.

Premium Member
That's some cracking progress there, does feel great when things start to take shape! (y) That paintwork looks great too, I miss how my black A5 would scrub up, looked like liquid glass.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
That's some cracking progress there, does feel great when things start to take shape! (y) That paintwork looks great too, I miss how my black A5 would scrub up, looked like liquid glass.
Thanks! Still a long way to go, all the electrical system to connect and tidy, night heater is now installed, the paint work is pretty tidy, needs the bonnet painting cause of a few stone chips but that鈥檚 a job for down the road!

Premium Member
That's the beauty of owning a T, you soon realise there's no rush and just enjoy the journey (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Bit more progress on the build, had the van on the pit in work to fit the split charge system and also plumb in the fuel line for the night heater, also completed the 230v hook up and the battery charger, consumer unit, the solar mppt controller plus the inverter, plug sockets fitted and wired too, fitted a cam switch to enable switching between inverter feed and mains hook up feed, a double pole switch also fitted to the solar panel feed into the controller to allow the feed to be switched off should I need to do any work on the system, all tested and working fine, next the lights, fridge and water pump to Wire up.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
So, the build is pretty much finished 馃槉 today we installed the fridge, the led light shelf and rear overhead locker, the job has been plumbed up and also the water pump and tap, all tested and working great! Also fitted the outside gas socket for the cadac gas bbq, I鈥檓 pleasantly surprised at how efficient the solar panel is, charging really well from a single 130w panel, the fridge is great too, I鈥檝e cold after an hour of running, great for the beers! 馃檶 tomorrow we will for the awning rail and test fit the awning, fit the new aluminium trim for the sliding and rear doors, a good clean after all the build dust and we are done!
just waiting for the rock n roll bed and front seat combo to be finished (due end of the month) It鈥檚 been a great experience doing this build with my dad! One of the only times I鈥檓 glad that he鈥檚 a bit of a perfectionist 馃槀 will definitely be doing another one! Not sure my mum will be happy though!

Registered
Love the build! Just starting mine off, just not with the speed of the build but youve done a quality job in the time you had! The evo units always leave me speechless with how high quality they are and youre only fitting them yourself! Love a set of new plates, really set the van off for me! Was the swamper look on the outside what you were always going for! Bet its a big presence on the road! Love it!馃榿

1 - 18 of 18 Posts