VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My first post so go easy on me ;)

Basically I have 2 grand to spend on a caravelle to get myself, the wife and 3 kids around. Not a lot of money I know but i want a manual diesel.

Just wondered what i could expect to get for the money and what i should look out for when buying.

Apologies if this has been asked before.

Many thanks

MintyUK

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

I'm just reading through lots of posts so I don't go blindly into buying my caravelle.

Regards

Minty

·
Registered
138 Posts
hello and welcome to the forum. Might be worth looking at some car breaker yards, I work for Combellack vehicle Recyclers in Roche Cornwall. I bought my T4 1.9TD 888 special van with a very small ding on the front wing from there for £450. It cost me £100 to get repaired and it drives like a dream. Definately worth a look on the ineternet mate to see what you can find.
Cheers Lee :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cheers

I'm off to see an L reg caravelle GL on wednesday with 94k on the clock, VWSH up to 50k plus a load of receipts for work done. Its a 2.5 auto petrol.

Guy wants £1,500, sound like a fair price?

Anything I should specifically check apart from the norm?

cheers

Minty

·
Premium Member
6,095 Posts
Welcome to the forum T:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just an update,

I ended up buying the van and I'm well happy with it... for my first ever T4 its been great to own these last few months. I smile everytime I get in it :)

Anyways, its good to be on the site once more and I look forward to speaking to you all in the future.

cheers

Minty

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
Welcome and enjoy, the van was a bargain by the sounds of it. There are still a few people out there who dont know what they have or what they are worth. I gave nearly double that for mine but i never regretted it; they are ace vehicles!

·
Registered
406 Posts
welcome to the forum and enjoy the t4 just remember its not a car and dont handle like 1 as everybody finds out sooner or later lol :ILU::ILU:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you made a great choice, had my Petrol auto GL for a few years, great motor! Make sure you maintain it well though, regular services especially on the gearbox.

Leave those slow smelly diesels in your track! I:

Sods law, the gearbox had just packed in :( i was driving home today when it wouldn't get me up the hill, bit of smoke, burning smell then nothing.

Looks like i need a new gearbox, any recommendations on where to look? Maybe even converting it to a manual.

I'll post in the wanted section as well.. Just before christmas too :(

thanks all

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Minty, I have a 2.5 petrol auto but i am finding fuel economy pretty poor.Do you have any idea what MPG you are getting? Is yours loaded up with camper interior ie bed, sink etc.
Regards Joe

1 - 19 of 19 Posts