VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to wait until i had it all finished, but i've just picked up my seats from Super Stitch and i'm so stoked i can't wait any longer. This is my first T4, i drove it for a while totally standard, while i gathered ideas and dreamt of what it could be. After becoming tone deaf in a tin can, i decided enough was enough and i recently got to work.
I'm a Kite surfer so wanted a practical van, which i could crash in, and go road trippin in search of new beaches with mates.
Here is what i done so far.

1) The van as i brought it - complete with a nasty interior made of carpet tiles glued all over.

2) Factory tinted Kombi Windows in (fitted by a friend), Lowered 50mm, Bulk head removed, Genuine Audi shoes fitted, and a bonnet bra to help keep it tidy.

3) Custom seat rails. I made these after a lot of consideration. First problem due to the raised floor i had to raise the Mushroom bolts. Second problem was the VW kombi position is awful, they are just too close to the front seats, esp. if you want to fit front seat swivels like me. My solution can be seen below. Basically i bolted cold drawn steel section to the floor into all the VW seat positions (into the sub frame) and the load points. I then inserted VW spreader plates into the cross section and riveted them in place. The mushroom bolts then bolted through the cross section into the spreader plates.
I've then used Recycled wool to insulate and sound proof the floor.

4) Ply then went down over the top, covered in non slip vinyl. A style line kit was fitted and then to top it all off I had all 4 captain seats re-trimmed by super stitch. The result IMO is stunning.

5) Next is the Bed.... this is a metal frame which is bolted to the custom seat rails behind the rear seat. When the Rear seats are folded down the Bed slides out over the top. I'm still working on this... but as soon as i've finished welding it, sprayed it, and fitted it i'll post up some more pics.

Hope you like it, would love to hear your thoughts.

Oli.

·
Registered
401 Posts
very nice mate. ive also just brought my first t4 03 xpack.. but im no where near close to how yours looks..
love the captain seats thay look wicked. i bet that cost ..:eek:

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
like the seats look real nice great job keep up the good work T:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys - glad it's liked.
Yep Stumpy did those seats for me. Picked them up on Sunday. He's a legend. Really helpful and those pics don't do the seat justice...they are even nicer in the flesh :ILU:
I'm going to get him to do the bed mattress / cushions as soon as their ready in the same style as the seats. Just got to finish the frame first. Lets hope it's not raining on the weekend.

·
Registered
162 Posts
hey Oli,

like the look of the set up so far, can't wait to have a full look on the weekend at your seats! i'm bringing my tools too so watchout! :D

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sweet van mate! Nice work so far! I just got my first T4 and am in the same boat! Dreaming of the times we'll have in it...

I have a quick question about removing the bulkhead; Is it welded in, or simply bolted? I have one in ours, but it's upholstered over, so I haven't really had a look yet.

Also, would love the contact details of Super Stitch! Just for future ref. :D

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
you can find my details on build for members cheers adeT:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts