VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, my first proper post here, I'm now the proud (very very proud, I should add) owner of my first T4, L reg, 1994 white T4. I paid what I reckon is a fair amount for it even though it's got 211k on the clock, still runs like a beauty!

Anyway to get to the point,
First things first:

That's her, haven't named her yet but will have done very soon!

I have a couple of slight problems, one being the water temperature light flashing constantly whilst the dial says the temperature is fine, the guy I bought it off said that it's been like that for ages and his mechanic has said it's a common fault and shouldn't cause a problem (I trust the guy, friend of a friend...)

Secondly, the grill is half missing, I have a replacement sat ready to go, can someone point me in the direction of a guide of how to remove the existing grill? I am 20 years old and this is going to be a MASSIVE learning curve for me, I haven't so much as got oil on my hands yet so I know nothing...

Thirdly and finally, (for now) The tailgate plastic (with the keyhole) has a bit of rust around the top and I have no idea how to remove it so I can sort the rust out... I might colour code it while it's off too so it'd be a great help if someone could explain the removal of that to me.

Also, I'm based in leeds, if anyone nearby wants to give me a hand with some of the above stuff, there are beers waiting ;)

Cheers in advance!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
temp light flashing .this is usualy the sender in the expantion bottle.which should have coolant up to max mark..

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As for your tailgate handle look under and you will see 2 posi screws I:
Oops... Tailgate sorted, was in a rush when I got it so obviously didn't check the completely blindingly obvious!

The grill is on, the small metal part on the front is no more as the old one was bent so I am driving without it until I get chance to go over to the local van breakers and take one off them.

I'm hoping to progress this thread into a kind of build thread, except because I'm a student and live off little to no money it will be more of a 'Tidy up' thread!

I will post a couple of pics when I get the chance over the next couple of days!

If anyone can point me in the direction of some Student (free I: ) mods, sprucing up techniques then please do!

Cheers guys!

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Free mod No 1. Lower the front by getting it on axle stands (essential) then winding down the torsion bars. (27mm spanner).
Free mod No 2. Remove the lettering from the van (nice as it is, it's no longer a works van).
Free mod No 3. Damned good clean inside and out, doesn't look like the outside needs a great deal of work though.
Free mod No4. Get rid of the hub caps and clean those steeleys up, paint if necessary.
Loads of cheap stuff you can do; paint the dash and door cards to get it looking fresh and funky, sort out the rust on the wheel arches (if you have any, and I suspect you doI:).
Stickers for the back doors/tailgate.
Lastly and most importantly paint two 6" dark blue stripes up the middle of the bonnet and over the roof and down the back....Grrrrrrrrrr, vrrrrrooooooooom!!!!T:

P.S. The van looks in great nick for an L, enjoy.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wavestarved, cheers for the reccomendations. Luckily for me the guy I bought the van off cleaned up the arches really well so that's one thing out of the way!

Jim Doodle, I've been thinking about that, i'm going to get the heat gun on it the first chance I get!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
It's likely to be the expansion bottle sender unit. Some models the sender is part of the bottle others it's a plug in.

A new one with sender is under £20 from German & Swedish (GSF car parts).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts