VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just starting my first build, so feel free to watch and laugh at the attempt http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/images/smilies/dontknow.gif. I bought my Van a couple of months ago and finally plucked up the courage to start, So first things first got the Windows fitted by Dragon Windows(07971 975587) £600 for 2 side and 2 barn door windows. Came to the house and fitted them with in an hour or two. I know most people would insulate and carpet first but I had the money and wanted it out the way so I can crack on.

Ive now taken of the rest of the panels and discovered that theres a leak from the old roof bars. http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/images/smilies/mad0235.gif The previous owner had fitted and bodged jobbed the seal after removal.

So not only do I have to seal the holes I also have to treat the rust, B*ll End Any Advice?
While I'm trying to think of how to sort it, I cracked on with a bit of flash banding.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Started to insulate the drivers side of the van, while trying to find the leak on the other side.

After sitting in the back of the van on a very rainy day I noticed a lot of water coming in through the cover for the sliding door.

After taking it of and replacing the broken clips. I put a dab of silicon around the inside hoping this would fix the problem,

Not the tidiest silicon application but I was more worried about getting the gaps filled. After another rainy night and from what I can see no leaks from this area I still had a build up of water in the rear well behind the wheel Arch. :bhd

Any Idea on where else could be leaking? :confused:

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
I've had the same problem with water ingress and noticed it coming through the clips which are used to fix the sliding door panel to the exterior of the van...(the four silver squares shown in the photo...)

The two nearest the B pillar were not seated properly and were letting in water which was pooling in the rear quarter, just by the rear light cluster.

I've broken a couple of the clips removing the panel so have ordered new ones from VW and will be re-fitting them next week with an added touch of low modulus silicone.

Good luck with the build, looks like you are at a similar point to me...just starting LOL:LOL:LOL:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had the same problem with water ingress and noticed it coming through the clips which are used to fix the sliding door panel to the exterior of the van...(the four silver squares shown in the photo...)

The two nearest the B pillar were not seated properly and were letting in water which was pooling in the rear quarter, just by the rear light cluster.

I've broken a couple of the clips removing the panel so have ordered new ones from VW and will be re-fitting them next week with an added touch of low modulus silicone.

Good luck with the build, looks like you are at a similar point to me...just starting LOL:LOL:LOL:
Thanks mate, I'll keep an eye out for your build. I'd definitely get a new plastic piece for the back as well as the seal has started to rot on mine. Should have bought a new one rather than trying the quick fix and silicon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts