VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am writing this guide as the result of researching lots about fitting bonded windows and i wanted to show those who want to have a go that its doable at home if you cant afford to pay some one else.

First thing to say is there is lots of ways of doing it, everyone has there preference and there is no single way. I chose the most cost effective method with the tools i have that i felt was perfectly safe.

I have had one Limo tint window on the drivers side professionally done by Firstglass in Bournemouth (those were the days of having a job!!). A brilliant job well done using the method of bonding skins together. This is their website http://www.windscreendorset.co.uk/. This is what their window looked like:

Inside

Outside (nice and flush fitting)

This is compared to my efforts:
Inside

Outside (just as flush fitting)

I could not afford to pay someone to do my other window and i wanted to do things myself on my van. So I bought the following from Vansport who delivered all the parts speedly and supplied brilliant instructions. http://www.vansport.co.uk/ This was the parts and cost:

1 x sliding door green glass window with a limo tint applied to it - £60.83
1 x single bonding kit (this includes, gloves, glue primer, special cleaning wipe, the bonding glue and some excellent instructions) - £26.04
1 x rubber trim for the glass - FREE
1 x knock on trim for inner skin - FREE

Total with VAT, delivery to my door and a 20% Forum member discount = £99.92

This is my method:

1. Stick masking tape on the inner and outer side of the panel, where you will be cutting.

2. Drill holes from the inside in corners tight against the inner skin. It is the inner skin that you will be using as the guide to the outside hole.

3. Join the holes up with a pen to give you a line template to cut to.

4. Cut a rough hole in the middle of the panel. This releases the strain in the panel.

5. Cut the panel along the line drawn. (i had to take the guide of the jigsaw and freehand to get close to the edge. finish with a file to get the edge nice.

6. Hammerite the bare metal edge.

7. Put the nock on trim onto the inner skin.

NOTE: i painted more door matt black inside as carpeting it means the door will not seal properly when shut.

Some people prefer to bond the skins together. My reason for not was i didnt see the point. The door is strong enough and has the skins already partially bonded from the factory as shown in these pics:

8. I then chose to hammer the outer skin against the inner skin. This trapped the knock on trim. I did this as i had heard it makes the window sit flusher to the body. If i compare to the professionally fitted window it sits just as flush! H: i must be a pro :)

9. I "keyed" the outer skin using 1200 wet and dry then wiped it down with Meths.

10. Put trim on the glass

11. Used special wipe provided by Vansport to clean the black bonding area of the glass and the outer skin boding area of the door.

12. Applied supplied primer to both bonding surfaces.

13. Squirted a continuous bead of bonding glue onto outer skin of the door.

14. Pushed window into position and placed weight ontop with a strap to hold the window tight and make it sit as close to the body as possible. leave for hours to dry (i used a filing box and a computer).

15. after its dried, admire your work!

JOB DONE!

I went from this:

To this:

Despite two differnt companies supplying the glass and tinting it looks matching!

A few things i would do different next time:

1. Cut the outer skin and file it on the verticle sections. My edges are visable if you go looking for them, but look fine with a bit of black paint.

2. Put the bead of bond not so close to the cut edge and a not so tall bead. (i followed the recommendations but it seemed i put to much on. Its oozed out a bit. Could be cut away with a knife though. Least its water tight!!

FURTHER READING ON THE SUBJECT:

Loads of Pictures are available on this guide to : http://www.ericboyce.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/windowfitting.html

If you have a side window and want to put a caravelle slider in here is the guide: http://www.ericboyce.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/windowfitting.html

Another guide is here: http://www.windowsmediapc.co.uk/t4/2006/11/drivers-side-window-fitted.html

lots of discussion on part numbers from VW are in this thread: http://vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3570&highlight=side+window&page=6

A guide using spot welding to fit other side windows: http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8456

Mega credit to VANSPORT for the parts and the guide that is provided with the kit. After reading this if you are contemplating this conversion, you have seen the price of parts so go have a go or call VANSPORT and they will give you the confidence push!! T: T: :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
nice one mate. decided to do it myself after reading your thread. got one in my slider last week and will do other side soon as i can afford the glass! Was pretty nervous at first but it turned out to be a pretty easy job!

·
Registered
240 Posts
nice how to guide that bud well done . i think it should go sticky. cos most with a van want windows and it can be done diy with a how to. top job A:

·
Premium Member
3,763 Posts
Top job a great guide try to borrow a nibbler from either a sheet metal worker or a body shop .you get a clean cut edge and it takes minutes to cut out bosch do a battery one for £300 a lot of money but well worth it

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I have fitted both types of window. I found non sliders you dont have to bond the skins together as you can use a thinner bead of bonder and the window will sit flush.

With Caravelle sliders you need to bond the skins as the window have a rigid moulded frame that is moulded to fit exactly into the correct sized aperture, if you don't bond/weld the skins together the windown doesn't sit flush and has a nasty looking gap all the way round.

Jay

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
wear gloves when dealing with/applying the black adhesive mastik as it doesn't come off your hands. I know this as i now have black fingers.

·
Registered
433 Posts
exellent job dude im in a similar position with my bus dont have much money and want to learn skills myself i was quoted £320 by aztec campers to fit windows his fitting is as good as yours and he also does not remove factory bond! im going to have a crack at this myself! T:T:T:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great job! I wish ours were so simple. We have tinted plastic in ours currently and want to do the job properly but having had the windscreen and rear tailgate fitted profesionally today i have had pointed out that whoever fitted these has absolutley destroyed the panels by cutting out so much that there is nothing to bond the glass to. Its amazing that the existing ones have not just blown out already. The options seem to be to get a new sliding door and a new drivers side matching panel or somehow get a welded section installed in both to accomodate the glass. Have had no quotes yet but both options appear to me to be really expensive solutions. Regrettably my skills do not extend this far. Has anyone had a similar problem? Any suggestions? Already overwhelmed by how much this is costing on things i cant sort myself!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Great guide mate well done T:
If anyone is doing this we can supply internal surrounds in mdf that can be carpeted, veneered, painted or any other finish you can think of. Just check out www.facebook.com/peanutpaintworx

Cheers jared

1 - 17 of 17 Posts