VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all!

I have again scoured through the forum with no avail.. Long story short; I purchased a high mile hero last month (2004 T5 1.9TDI) and have been fixing all the little niggles. About 4 years ago on the MOT history it had 650k on it and has done about 40k a year since (or so I've been told). Everything works on it (Inc A/C) and runs fantastic, have already racked up about 1000 miles myself.

I want the dash to read its correct milage as I realise it's not often a vehicle racks up these mammoth miles.

A few questions..

Currently the instrument cluster just reads '- - - - - - -' where the milage usually is, anyone know why this is? Or how to fix it?

I have another set of clocks but have heard if I plug them in my key will need programming?

Also, if I do fit new clocks will the milage come back to what it actually is or will it go back to what it was on when it stopped registering?

I wonder if anyone has ever come across this, hopefully someone can shed some light 馃馃徎

Special Rapporteur
Is it safe to assume that the cluster showed only dashes when you bought it? What did the previous owner say about how it came to be like that? Not knowing the history is going to make things difficult, because it may simply be that the previous owner has fitted another cluster and not coded it properly. Or it could be that it's the original cluster and it's faulty. Either way, the definitive record of km's traveled should be recorded in the ECU.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for your reply, I have only just come across this. It read as '----------------' when I bought it. Also, it came with a 'spare' cluster so it may have been changed already or that is the original and it is a spare. I got it off a taxi driver who got it off another taxi driver. He has known the van for a long time and had got it cheap and I think fixed a few bits on it and then lost the will and sold it on.

I haven't got round to getting the dash sorted yet but that is on the list for this year. I am very interested to see what miles the beast has on it. Have been using it as the daily since I bought it as runs like a dream. I guess it has an uprated starter on being a former taxi as starts on the first crank.

Will keep you posted 馃馃徏

Special Rapporteur
If you put it on a VAG-specific diagnostic tool such as VCDS, you should just be able to read the mileage (in kms) straight out of the ECU.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts