VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a high miler 1.9 and it's literaly drinking oil... i know what your going to say "new engine" or "complete re-build" but the monies won't allow it at the moment, i was wondering if there was a comon quick-fix or something i can do to maybe even slow it down for a while, atleast till the cash starts to flow. any suggestions would be great.

Beau.

·
Pedal box guru
2,616 Posts
I've got a high miler 1.9 and it's literaly drinking oil... i know what your going to say "new engine" or "complete re-build" but the monies won't allow it at the moment, i was wondering if there was a comon quick-fix or something i can do to maybe even slow it down for a while, atleast till the cash starts to flow. any suggestions would be great.

Beau.
Hi,

Is the engine leaking oil or burning it???

If it's leaking oil.
Fix the leaks!

If it's burning oil.
Get a compression test done! If the rings/bores are worn/damaged, then you could be heading for a runaway engine! (If a diesel engine manages to get enough oil into a combustion chamber to ignite it will then rev out of control until it either uses all the oil, or it self destructs!)
The compression test will give you a good indication of the health of your engine! if all the cylinders are showing a similar pressure, they are either all Fooked or all good!

If they are good then the most likely place for the oil to get into the cylinders is via the valve stem seals, head off re-new seals replace head off you go!

If it's burning oil unfortunatly it will involve engine work to one degree or another!

Hope that helps.

Cheers Trev.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Is the engine leaking oil or burning it???

If it's leaking oil.
Fix the leaks!

If it's burning oil.
Get a compression test done! If the rings/bores are worn/damaged, then you could be heading for a runaway engine! (If a diesel engine manages to get enough oil into a combustion chamber to ignite it will then rev out of control until it either uses all the oil, or it self destructs!)
The compression test will give you a good indication of the health of your engine! if all the cylinders are showing a similar pressure, they are either all Fooked or all good!

If they are good then the most likely place for the oil to get into the cylinders is via the valve stem seals, head off re-new seals replace head off you go!

If it's burning oil unfortunatly it will involve engine work to one degree or another!

Hope that helps.

Cheers Trev.
it has got an oil leak but not one bad enough to use the amount of oil it has used (it hasn't left a single drop anywhere i've parked it), it only smokes noticably at high revs which i think is probably more the valve stem oil seals, but i was thinking is it better to get a recon engine (i haven't looked to see prices yet) than to start throwing money at a high miler? either way i haven't got the funds for either until probably June next year, so i suppose for now i'll have to try to plug any obvious leaks and keep buying oil. also while i'm here would oil for high millage engines make any difference?

Thank you wind welder for your advice.

Beau:confused:

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
a recon engine will be roughly around £1500,a replacement engine would be the cheapest solution but you dont want to go to the hassle of pitting another engine only to find out in a few weeks its got head gasket or similar oil burning issues,best solution would be to buy a mk3 golf tdi with a few months tax and mot(roughly around £400ish)run it for a few weeks to gauge reliability/oil consumption etc then remove engine and carry out tdi conversion on your van

have a search for aggiet4's thread seems its the way to go

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds like the best idea, i just don't want to throw good money after bad!

·
Banned
2,437 Posts
have you tried wynns

they do some sort of additive

think it might be called stop smoke

im sure it wont cure your problem but it might help.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Im in the same boat, my 2.4 used 5 litres of oil (after a full service!!!) on a recent trip to slovenia.

Im now thinking rebuild or replace. It leakes aswell as burns oil. Double trouble!!!!

Anyone know the cost of a rebuild, new rings, bottom end bearings, gasket kit, cylinder head gasket kit ,belts another five litres of oil and owt else you can think of.

maybe cheaper to go TD route i suppose.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mine's just basic 1.9 and i've been thinking about sourcing another engine stripping it and rebuilding it with all new internalls over a couple of weeks/months (which may help spread the cost aswell) and when it's ready just straight swapping it, but which ever way it's not going to be cheap!

Beau

1 - 12 of 12 Posts