VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like something that often crops up on the forum - so i thought i would post some real world results based on my recent experience.

I had to pick up a kitchen for my sisters house that involved mainly motorway, non traffic-jam driving.

Cruise control was set for in between 55-61mph [i didn't want to hold lorry drivers up], and the test was over less than 200 miles, but maybe the results will be of interest to some?

The filling station is 100yds from the motorway.

I covered 186.2 miles

and used 21.49 ltrs

which according to my calculator is a genuine 39.33mpg

At one time my trip computer offered me an optimistic 770 miles for this tankful but I had my doubts.

This leads me to believe that an average of 40mpg is possible, but in order to achieve it, the driver needs to be nowhere fast, lots of empty roads and a van that doesn't have very much weight on board.

:)

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good little test, now repeat with Diesel Rhino in the tank and average over say 5 trips.
I think I was very fortunate to get as far as I did without hitting any traffic delays - to hope to get 5 more trips in the same conditions would be as optimistic as the computer that said I would get over 700 miles out of that tankfull.

:)

·
6,709 Posts
Hadn't looked at your stuff before - sounds good.
Do you reckon it'll work in the new Euro6 engines with Adblue?
Yes it will work fine with adblue or adwee. It is urea based and a post combustion
Process so will not interfere with Diesel Rhino which is a pre combustion process.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I'm a bit of an mpg bore but found something interesting the other week, my tests are fairly consistent and I do start stop commute with a bit of 60mph dual carriageway.
Filled the van when I got it and drove it like I nicked it motorway etc then refil, do the maths = 32mpg
Normal daily commute stick to limits never above 3000rpm =39mpg
Coil light flashing (egr fault) 34mpg.
Hopefully no new egr on I'm back up to 39.... Dunno yet, refil Friday....
2 litre 102 swb.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Very interesting stuff.. I've done this all the time with mine over the last 7 years. 174 remapped kombi, when working fully loaded stop start urban driving is 32mpg.. Motorway work with four adults and luggage 35 to 37mpg..

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I joined recently, found yesterday part of the 10 pound subscription allows editing.
yep and selling and more messages, never had to pay for a forum before and i think it's a bit mean to be fair, can see you might justify paying to sell stuff, fair one but paying to edit your posts? mental.

·
6,709 Posts
Me neither, so I had a quick google and a read around. This thread from honest john seems a representation of the information available

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=89013

from what I have read, I don't think this product is of any interest to me.
I would respectfully suggest that you read some feedback from people who have actually used it.

It is a lot more representative than the skeptical speculations on honest John.

Some recent feedback on the rhino Facebook page is quite representative

www.facebook.com/dieselrhino

From Ed Trunbull - "Ive used this reluctantly in my seat toledo 1.9 stdi but i can honestly say ot does what it says on the tin! Increased my fuel range on a full tank by 150 miles! more power, cleaner running and quieter engine running. Now ive just ordered 2.5ltrs to start putting it in my Transit connect T200."

·
Registered
492 Posts
Ive been driving a T5 for the last 7 and a half years, I agree with all above generally in that it'll be as low as 30mpg on multiple short journeys and 39 on long slow runs.

I tend to measure from full to fuel light - most of the time getting 525miles. (ive had as low as 480 and as high as 580)

Though I live on the border in Ireland and pay 93p a litre oh yes, diesel is not a huge worry.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm very interested in MPG as I do lots of driving from Portugal to the UK. I never do fast starts, (I have a motorbike for that) drive at 120kph on the motorway and usually fully loaded. I was finding driving locally, stop starts, hills etc I get 36 mpg, motorway 39mpg but since my decat and egr delete I get 39 locally and 45 on the motorway. 2009 1.9 102bhp.

·
Banned
5,495 Posts
Our 180 Cali was an absolute shocker on fuel - of course they are heavy and it's hilly here but it really was VERY thirsty.
Hoping the 150 will be better.
I'm also hoping that AdBlue means no hateful EGR valve - if I does, there is some hope that this new Cali will be a little more reliable!

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
From Ed Trunbull - "Ive used this reluctantly in my seat toledo 1.9 stdi but i can honestly say ot does what it says on the tin! Increased my fuel range on a full tank by 150 miles! more power, cleaner running and quieter engine running. Now ive just ordered 2.5ltrs to start putting it in my Transit connect T200."
I have been driving our 2.0 102 for fours years and have had it remapped and also went through a 2.5 litre rhino additive. I have never noticed any difference in fuel consumption and I always do brim to brim. 32mpg urban and 37mpg motorway. Definitely a marked difference in performance with the remap. The Rhino may be good for the engine/injectors etc but to add 150 miles to a tank per treatment sounds a bit exaggerated. Doing the maths on a purchase of 2.5 liters = £1.60 per tankfull on a T5 ... so if you did achieve +150 miles = 4.3 gallon @35mpg = approx £20 of fuel per tank. Either Mr. Trunbull has been smoking something very strong or the leak he had in his tank has mysteriously been plugged. I am in no way saying the Rhino is not good but if it were me I would take steady Ed's claim with a huge pinch of salt.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm genuinely surprised and a little shocked by the MPG most people are reporting. 7 yrs ago I was getting a regular 700+ miles out of my SWB 130 BHP Kombi, mostly motorway miles at 70 mph. I'm awaiting the arrival of my T6 Kombi (140BHP SWB Kombi DSG) and am expecting similar once run in. A mate of mine has just got his new T6 102 Kombi ( euro5) and is already getting mid 40's and its only done a few hundred miles. To be honest we are both gentle with the throttle, but where can you hammer a vehicle these days?

·
6,709 Posts
I have been driving our 2.0 102 for fours years and have had it remapped and also went through a 2.5 litre rhino additive. I have never noticed any difference in fuel consumption and I always do brim to brim. 32mpg urban and 37mpg motorway. Definitely a marked difference in performance with the remap. The Rhino may be good for the engine/injectors etc but to add 150 miles to a tank per treatment sounds a bit exaggerated. Doing the maths on a purchase of 2.5 liters = £1.60 per tankfull on a T5 ... so if you did achieve +150 miles = 4.3 gallon @35mpg = approx £20 of fuel per tank. Either Mr. Trunbull has been smoking something very strong or the leak he had in his tank has mysteriously been plugged. I am in no way saying the Rhino is not good but if it were me I would take steady Ed's claim with a huge pinch of salt.
I do agree that an extra 150 miles per tank is a lot.

I am going to contact the customer and ask if there is a typo in their review in a moment.

None the less, a vast majority of the feedback from our customers support the claims of the product.
Our commercial network are repeat ordering many times now due to their customers feedback.

I still maintain that anyone looking in to use of it should glean their information from a source that has used it and not a source that has no first hand knowledge of the additive.

The Alfa Romeo / UKMKIVS.net etc are littered with positive comments about the product.

·
Banned
5,495 Posts
Well if it raises the cetane rating, that has to be a good thing.
Could you lab test it? With concrete results, you could really go to town on marketing and PR.
I run a PR company (no I'm not touting for business) so know how effective decent data can be.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Our 180 Cali was an absolute shocker on fuel - of course they are heavy and it's hilly here but it really was VERY thirsty.
Hoping the 150 will be better.
I'm also hoping that AdBlue means no hateful EGR valve - if I does, there is some hope that this new Cali will be a little more reliable!
Hate to break it to you...they do have an EGR. For the most part everything will work exactly the same. It isn't about removing existing rubbish technology.

The ad-blue is injected into the exhaust which makes the DPF process work better. Downside is, that efficiency is at the cost of the DPF which will almost certainly need to be replaced sooner than a vehicle without ad-blue.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts