VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I recently sold my R'n'R bed, and thought while I had all the free space, I'd change my scabbie floor to a nice new one.

So....this is part one of two A:

I'm going to stick the new floor on top of the old floor. That way it's a nice comfy floor with plenty of insulation, and the old floor is too hard to remove I:

(apologies for the cack photo's. Dark night and iPhone camera don't make for quality viewing)

This is my old floor, I've already started to remove the lower cabinet doors at this point.

This is the old floor close up...mmmmmm, mosiacy :ILU:

Anyway, I laid a template of the edges with newspaper (it was the best thing I could find). Tin of beans used as a paperweight :D

This is my new vinyl. It's from 'Carpetright' and it's called Alicante from the Modern Living range. They've got a sale on so 3M x 1.5M cost me £29.96.

So then I layed the template ontop of the new vinyl (contrary to the picture, I butted the long straight edge of the template against the edge of the vinyl.

This is the vinyl all cut out. I cut about 1/4" too big all the way around to give me room to trim etc.

This is the initial fitment. Looks kinda good I think :)

As you can see, it has lots of waves and ripples in it. Before I do any sticking and trimming, I'm going to let it 'settle' for at least 24 hours so it flattens out.

Here's that nice straight edge. It looks tidy with the doors on too.

So later on today, I'll do the final trimming and sticking. I'm using a super strong double sided tape, as spray glue wouldn't stick to the old vinyl underneath.

Part deux to follow.............

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
be careful just sticking it round the edges , in summer when it gets hot in there it will more than likley swell and bubble up . ruff sand paper the entire old vinly floor to give it a key and use spray adhesive , or better still get yourself to a local carpet shop and ask them for 1ltr of F.Balls F46 pressure sensative adhesive . use a paint roller to apply to entire floor , let it go right off and lay into it . it wont permanently bond , its llike a tackifier so can easily be replaced in the future T:
hope this helps
kieran

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
be careful just sticking it round the edges , in summer when it gets hot in there it will more than likley swell and bubble up . ruff sand paper the entire old vinly floor to give it a key and use spray adhesive , or better still get yourself to a local carpet shop and ask them for 1ltr of F.Balls F46 pressure sensative adhesive . use a paint roller to apply to entire floor , let it go right off and lay into it . it wont permanently bond , its llike a tackifier so can easily be replaced in the future T:
hope this helps
kieran
Great thanks for the tip! I'll do that instead T:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts