VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

241 - 256 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
Quick update on these... Had them for over 18 months now and people asked me a while back how they would fare. They have the odd chip from motorway driving but apart from that the 2k lacquer has stuck rock solid to the gold leaf T: Revill's in Exeter did a first class job on powder coating them with the ivory base coat.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hi, can I get some advice from you guys? especially you Mr Woodcraft as I see you as the merc steels guru from trawling the forum for info.
I have these wheels on my velle

(not my velle obviously but the only pic I could find on the google,thanks if it is someone on here who owns the van and hope you don't mind me borrowing the picture)
After drooling over this thread for too long I finally took the plunge and bought some steelies on ebay from a guy in
Dalkieth Midlothian. Well they arrived last weekend but I am unsure about whether I need to get new wheel bolts to fit them.
can I use the original bolts and locking bolts etc? I recently had to fit my spare which is a steel and the tyre shop guy just used the alloys bolts as there were no others found in the boot with the jack etc.
Any advice greatfully recieved.

The new rims:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Mercedes-steel-wheels-and-winter-Hankook-tyres-/320982756863?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&nma=true&si=WAXdX+CQEnQ6nRsfJLq9SWUl5ig=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Did I over pay or is this about market average?

Thanks guys.

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
all depends if your wheel bolts on your alloys have a radius seat or a tapered

tapered will be a cone type,radius will be the same as a original steel wheel..

most likely those alloys you have fitted will be a radius seat...

your standard steel wheel bolts would be a 19mm head radius seat,so in theory the correct seat for the merc steels...but the merc steels would of had a 17mm head radius seat..

my advise would be pm me a pic of the wheel bolt which is now fitted..removing one from the van will be fine unjacked up...

if incorrect..

you will need 20 x m14 x 1.50 35mm length radius seat wheel bolts...(i can supply these if you needed)

simon

·
17,028 Posts
p.s that was a good price for those with tyres,if they have descent tread...

i can supply those steels brand new for £195 shipped,so a good enough price if in good condition and with tyres...not often found on uk ebay these wheels....more available in germany

hope this helps..

simon.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Wow thanks colese, rapid response!
The tyres appear to be like new-ish

between 7 and 8mm tread depth right across the tyre.
The wheel rim says ET 42 will this be ok?

the bolts on the velle at the mo' look like this (pouring down here got soaked!)

Got the spigots from ebay, do they look ok, I'm hoping they'r in the right way round??

·
17,028 Posts
Wow thanks colese, rapid response!
The tyres appear to be like new-ish

between 7 and 8mm tread depth right across the tyre.
The wheel rim says ET 42 will this be ok?

the bolts on the velle at the mo' look like this (pouring down here got soaked!)

Got the spigots from ebay, do they look ok, I'm hoping they'r in the right way round??
yes mate all looks good...spigots fine...et is fine,you could even run some hubcentric spacers on the rear of those if you wanted a staggered look,i sale loads of them with the spacers...

wheel bolts are the original bolts.....they would work as the seat is radius,but you should really be running a 17mm head radius bolt on those..in true terms...thsoe wheels would of had 17inch head bolst from merc factory...

I have a set of 20 here brand new for £30 posted if you wanted them..

simon.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Awesome, thanks. Glad I can use the bolts, funds a bit tight at the mo'. will keep you in mind when the mrs is looking for ideas for chrissi prezzies tho'.
She's going to ask me to get them out of the lounge soon, I can feel it, so may put them on this weekend, weather permitting.
Not too soon for winter tyres is it? seems wet enough, what happened to the indian summer??!!

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Mr Woodcraft, I'm sure you've heard/read loads but - A-MAZING job on the wheels.

Think I'm going to change the alloys on my new T4 for Steels, just need to do some reading about to decide which ones, decisions decisions.

·
17,028 Posts
Mr Woodcraft, I'm sure you've heard/read loads but - A-MAZING job on the wheels.

Think I'm going to change the alloys on my new T4 for Steels, just need to do some reading about to decide which ones, decisions decisions.
Replied regarding the shock fitting mate...

Pm if you need any steel info

241 - 256 of 256 Posts