VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Totally happy with my new (2 days ago) 2001 SWB T4 2.5TDi 102 ex Velle camper :):):)

As soon as I drove it I thought, "bliddy hell, this pulls well", and it does :)
I have driven a mates one and I'm sure mine is a lot quicker, it hauls up motorway type hills with ease in 5th without noticeable slowing from an easy 70+ mph cruising speed.

There is a "however" though. I suspect it might have been mapped by a previous owner, might even have had bigger injectors fitted, who knows. There's nowt in the paperwork that came with it to show this though

The reason I think this is that it "chugs" a lot at tickover, like a petrol engine on it's choke, and it seems to be a bit "black smokey", especially when flooring it (sensibly I hasten to add), plus the twin SS tail pipes are very sooty.

I haven't had time yet to check the MPG, but I suspect it's over-fuelling.

Now I LOVE the performance, it really does haul ass, BUT, I think I should get it (the MAP ?) checked before I discover it's only doing 12 MPG :eek:plus the "chuggy" tick over ain't right.

So, question = Should I find a "PendlePower" / "SuperChip" agent to check and adjust the MAP? or, any other suggestions welcomed.....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah Ha, thanks, Rochdale is a pleasant drive from my location, I can feel an appointment coming on :)

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,283 Posts
Do NOT go to "PuddleProdder" (or any of his "agents") as he is useless when the vehicle has "possibly" had uprated injectors. (Or a faulty 50p O-ring on the pump as mine had.):(
All his agents use "Head Office" to get custom maps from, as stated on his web site....this is a lockup garage, no seats, no toilets, next to a gym. (That has his Ferrari parked outside!)
ONE guy, working from there, doing custom maps for people at "Head Office" whilst on a laptop sorting out any for his "agents".:*
4 hours to do mine.....came out worse than it went in.

Wayne at ChipWizards.....assuming you can get a booking with a guy that does it all himself. A:
I'll be going to Wayne....next time I do the 5000km round trip to UK. T:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input (everyone).

I have found a great guy just 10 miles from me (near Chester) who has been building 5 Pot Audi Rally & Race cars for years. I used to know his place but he moved and I thought he had gone out of business.

He currently uses VW 2.5TDi bottom ends as a basis for his Rally & Race 80's Quatros :cool::cool::cool: And boy you should see the stuff he is going = cool just ain't enough.

I took it to him and it's booked in for next Tuesday. He said he will give it a FULL check over before doing anything with the map.
He too said about the pump timing, and also about a fairly common fault that gives my symptoms (chuggy tick over, sooty exhaust, but good performance) and that is a coolant temp sensor that might not be working correctly. He certainly know his stuff and owns a T4 TDi himself :ILU:

I will report back.....

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Thanks for the input (everyone).

I have found a great guy just 10 miles from me (near Chester) who has been building 5 Pot Audi Rally & Race cars for years. I used to know his place but he moved and I thought he had gone out of business.

He currently uses VW 2.5TDi bottom ends as a basis for his Rally & Race 80's Quatros :cool::cool::cool: And boy you should see the stuff he is going = cool just ain't enough.

I took it to him and it's booked in for next Tuesday. He said he will give it a FULL check over before doing anything with the map.
He too said about the pump timing, and also about a fairly common fault that gives my symptoms (chuggy tick over, sooty exhaust, but good performance) and that is a coolant temp sensor that might not be working correctly. He certainly know his stuff and owns a T4 TDi himself :ILU:

I will report back.....
Has he got a rolling road so that he can live map ??

If not, your wasting your time.

·
6,701 Posts
Agree with hobbyhorse- I am in this area and have not heard of this chap.

Ensure that the mapper has experience of my injectors and a rolling road and the knowledge to write custom maps.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is a guy called Jan Van Nierop. Read all about him HERE. He used to "be" QRSport (link HERE but he fairly recently started a new place in the same area (Tattenhall) called J&L Auto Techniks Ltd.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will check this re a lack or rolling road. I know he does maps on successful rally / race cars, but I realise a T4 Tdi job might be different.

The first job he is going to do is a full VagCom check and where necessary replace & adjust. He says he can easily check if it has any after-market injectors or mapping.

If the map does need adjusting, after reading about Wayne in Rochdale, I may well then take it to him, unless Mr Van- Neirop can demonstrate competence enough for me to let him do it.

Just a quick question (just because I like to "know stuff") :-

I understand that for a "perfectly" matched map, a rolling road is required.

But, for a general purpose map, for a slight boost, in performance and economy, is there not a set of "generic" maps that could be used?

I'm thinking, one for a modest boost with good economy, another for a "middle range" boost in performance, and then a "top" one for high power with less regard to economy. Just thinking this because if one assumes that an engine to be mapped is fully standard, then they (and the van) are all pretty much standardised.

Can someone put me in the picture regarding this (ie, wanting to learn).

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,283 Posts
Every engine is "slightly" different (production models....if you talk rally/race engines, then they are "blue-printed").

ANY change to standard spec will mean a "std map" will not perfectly match the engine.
Something as simple as blocking the EGR, different air filter, de-cat exhaust, etc, etc.....

There is a company (in France I think) that can load 3 maps into the ECU......but they are all "generic" unless you send them the code for the ones you want to have available.

Perfect map does require a rolling road, but just from the readouts of the ECU, a "good" map can be done without it.

My 1st map from Pendle was great (done outside his gym!?!?)....but after changing injectors and some other mods, the 2nd one was total (and he did have a rolling road at that time, but from what I saw, he did everything in REVERSE gear (only the front of the van was tied down....he didn't realise I had an electric hand-brake!!!!)
That was probably the reason he never produced any paperwork either!

With a map for maximum performance....YOU can decide on economy (DO NOT boot it), or performance....(foot to the floor)..

I can get 45mpg from mine...or do 220kph on the motorways in Germany. A:
(And manage to get up to 130kph on the slip-roads out of service areas to join the traffic easily....with an auto box!)

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
I will check this re a lack or rolling road. I know he does maps on successful rally / race cars, but I realise a T4 Tdi job might be different.

The first job he is going to do is a full VagCom check and where necessary replace & adjust. He says he can easily check if it has any after-market injectors or mapping.

If the map does need adjusting, after reading about Wayne in Rochdale, I may well then take it to him, unless Mr Van- Neirop can demonstrate competence enough for me to let him do it.

Just a quick question (just because I like to "know stuff") :-

I understand that for a "perfectly" matched map, a rolling road is required.

But, for a general purpose map, for a slight boost, in performance and economy, is there not a set of "generic" maps that could be used?

I'm thinking, one for a modest boost with good economy, another for a "middle range" boost in performance, and then a "top" one for high power with less regard to economy. Just thinking this because if one assumes that an engine to be mapped is fully standard, then they (and the van) are all pretty much standardised.

Can someone put me in the picture regarding this (ie, wanting to learn).
The later ECU attracted a lot of plug and play laptop jockeys (which you may or may not be lucky that you have, after some people have played with it).

The earlier ECU required a completly different skill set and divided men and boys. A friend did mine almost 19 years ago, but that said he has been in the business over 30 years (and probably the most respected in it).

That was a mixture of his guys custom mapping, after listening to me; rolling road and real world driving .................. all these years later never been touched and as good as the day it was completed.

A friend used to race in what is now the BTCC (I prepped the cars), class win and two years later an overall championship win. I would never send a freshly prepped car out unless it had been on the rolling road. That was a million years ago before too much tech, but today it's a must for custom mapping (in my opinion) and generic became available purely because of the cost.

You make your choice but also potentially put the heart of your vehicle at risk :wzd:wzd:wzd

·
Registered
865 Posts
The EDC15 ECU has been done to death, there are really good tutorials online (vag edc15 suite,etc.) and plenty sites which offer support... Its relatively easy if you understand a bit of hex editing hence many people started mapping with higher/lower degrees of success !

If you have the time to flash new maps and drive the car then doing it in small increments usually doesnt break stuff, however there is more than meets the eye with tuning a Tdi engine sucessfully. The more mods you add to a car then far from generic the file map and one fits all approach doesnt fit the bill anymore !

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the info adamss24 T:

Although I do mess with some computer code, I don't plan on messing with this myself.

However, as I mentioned further up, I do like to understand things and your post helped in that respect T: :cool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts