VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bungy's build thread

We went to collect our van this morning and after removing the vanguards from the rear windows and getting some alloys fitted here it is.

It is a 1 owner van with exactly 80k miles and very straight with near perfect bodywork and interior.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That does look very clean, nice one T:
What type of build are you going for?
It is a very nice example compared to others I looked at and got nice comments from the Stereo/wheel shop and the tyre fitters today. Amazing how vans get so much attention. I'm looking to do side windows and another row of seats fairly soon but not sure on going down the RNR bed route. I would like the second row to be quick release if possible but I'm undecided.
Main thing is I have a good base to start with and need to do some research.
I appreciate the pm reply earlier Kev. T:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Today saw me removing the side ply lining in preperation for the window fitter who unfortunately got held up on another job and so I have to wait until Monday for their fitment.
It all looked good behind the ply but annoying that the fitters had screwed into the wheel arches :*

I've left the flooring in for now but that will get ripped out when I'm ready to sound proof

I did get an extension for my gear lever and even these little things make me happy. :)

I did also get another double front seat which I spotted on ebay which will be going in the back and purchased it from a nice fella with a tidy SWB.

·
taking too long to build van2
1,403 Posts
Original colour. I haven't detailed it yet but expect it to come up even better with a bit of work
How are the usual spots so far then? ie Wheel arch edge, driver door sill, fuel cap, SLD footwell and runner? I'm wondering what sort of life it had. I just picked up a 2002 with only 44k on it. It spent its life around the glens here in NI (so think stony roads and lots of salt) and its only just showing wheel arch on the edge and a couple of rub spots. T:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How are the usual spots so far then? ie Wheel arch edge, driver door sill, fuel cap, SLD footwell and runner? I'm wondering what sort of life it had. I just picked up a 2002 with only 44k on it. It spent its life around the glens here in NI (so think stony roads and lots of salt) and its only just showing wheel arch on the edge and a couple of rub spots. T:
Wheel arch edges are clean and crisp with no blistering, drivers door sill is clean and has stone guard protective covering, fuel cap is perfect, SLD runner needs a roller as it has a flat spot. Van was owned by a computer company and has extensive history including e-mails linked to its registration number.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Windows in today and Mike did a very nice job of the install.

All cut out and ready for window preperation.

I'll have to get some photo's from both sides.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Couple of small jobs done on my van today. EGR blank and clean while I wait for the parts to completely delete it.

It took some cleaning with all the carbon stuck inside.

I also managed to change my lower rollers for the side sliding door. Nice and simple after reading how someone else had done theirs on the forum. Much appreciated. The one that was fitted had developed two flat spots.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We went to Lee On Solent today and the EGR blank has made a noticeable difference to smoothing out the idle and low rpm driveability. It is much smoother now and I have no squeaking from my sliding door either after greasing. T:

·
Registered
142 Posts
This is a lovely looking van! Clean and original- fir now. No doubt you have big plans for it. It's definitely a rare and lucky find this van. Your gonna get plenty of good years out of it. Kids looked happy too!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had a delivery today and it has 4 pins rather than 2 so I'm pleased.

I'm going to clean it up a bit and replace the bobbins, give the metal work a coat of gloss black and get it fitted. A:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I didn't get the chance to fit my intercooler this weekend as I need 4 mounts and they are on order. I switched my efforts to the insulation and followed the well trodden path of flash banding, recycled bottle and aluminium bubble wrap.

It looks like something straight from NASA at the moment.

I still need to flash band the wheel arches and the roof and rear doors still need insulation.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts