VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I could no longer handle the poor ride from my 18" wheels so have now got a nice set of 16"DBV Lapland German load rated alloys shot with Michellen 205/65/16 van rated tyres what a difference.:):):):)

From this

to this

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
This must be some sort of trend I:
Few months ago I sold my 18" Rs6's & have replaced then with a set of 8J x 16" et15 Stilauto speedstar's shod with 205/55/16 michelin's (slightly cheeky stickie-outtie from the arch) hoping to get a better ride :cool:

Thinking of 225/60/16's as that should be about the same size as origonal 15's with van tyres :cool:
Vans of the road for re-build at the mo but should be a better ride A:
Rich.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i'm wondering.....
are you guys who are suffering from a harsh ride all doing the same thing? there may be a common thing thats to blame?
what height are you running ie how far has it been dropped? what springs? light duty/heavy duty etc?
which shocks? worn out std, Sachs, Gaz, Bilstein etc?
Notched chassis & cut down bump stops etc?

there may be a common thing in there that is the root of the poor ride :*

or maybe just the obvious shocking state of the roads & using tyres with a one inch sidewall I:

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
or maybe just the obvious shocking state of the roads & using tyres with a one inch sidewall I:
A:

When on standard steel wheels with van tyres the ride is far better than 245/40/18 & Rs6 alloys (lowered ~70mm, b6 bilstein shox, rear anti-roll bar, 4 longboards & a cooker :cool: )

Rich.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm running 1" side walls on my 18"s, ride is good. unsure what shocks but running -40mm Springs from VeeDubs.

UK roads are horrendous though, I find myself swerving lots to avoid pot-holes & sunken drain covers.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
just how bad are the 18's?
curious as i've just bought a set for mine I:
I've been running 18's with 235/40's on mine since I had it, at first it was sat on bump stops on the front and cheap springs on the back the ride was not pleasant, raised it up a tad on the front and now running eibachs on the back and the ride is so much better no crashing around, I would like to take the tyres upto 245/45 but might need to raise the front a bit more to get them under the arches.
Lowering the vehicle will obviously have an effect on the ride its just how long you want to live with it.

ps if you want to move those oz rims on that you pick up at a bargain price let me knowI:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've been running 18's with 235/40's on mine since I had it, at first it was sat on bump stops on the front and cheap springs on the back the ride was not pleasant, raised it up a tad on the front and now running eibachs on the back and the ride is so much better no crashing around, I would like to take the tyres upto 245/45 but might need to raise the front a bit more to get them under the arches.
Lowering the vehicle will obviously have an effect on the ride its just how long you want to live with it.

ps if you want to move those oz rims on that you pick up at a bargain price let me knowI:
Blimey no secrets here in Busland :eek: Rasp:

·
Registered
228 Posts
there may be a common thing in there that is the root of the poor ride :*

I:
I experimented with the ride hight at the front of my van running standard 15" wheels and tyres. Lowered it bit by bit. The point at which it started hitting the bump stops was obvious and the deteriation in ride quality was dramatic. I can only imagine that with narrow sidewalls as well it would have been truly awful and nothing like the well sorted ride of a standard van

·
Registered
331 Posts
I would have cut down the front bump stops and ground the lips off the shock mounting plate first. It's likely you are just hitting the bump stops. Now the fatter tyres are probably just masking the issue. Personally, I think it was 100% better looking with the 18's on.
I've had t4's with 18's and 19's and not suffered with an uncomfortable ride when lowered 80mm. I always cut down the front bump stops and grind the lip off the shock mounting plate.

Anyone lowered more than 60mm, take a look under your van when its not jacked up and you will see just how close the top arm is from hitting the bump stop.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
I'm running 17's with 235/50 tyres and have not noticed any difference in ride quality compared with either the standard 15's or my winter 16's.

I do notice the improved stability and grip though!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts