VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well head went on my 88 2.2 5 cly Audi 90 B3 yesterday.

Bought it for £600 6 months ago, just spent £300 on brand new tyres and exhaust last month (typical)! Would like to get at least some of this back if it goes....any ideas on where to post it welcome too.

For a techinal lay-person like me, cost of repairs sound like a bit of a false economy (looking at the current going price of one of these future classics). Anyone got any ideas?

Otherwise may just ditch it if anyone thinks it can be salveged or parted out etc.

Shame as practically mint condition original Ronal 14" Ronal Aeros (plus two of the same spare), plus a box of various spares including centre console with white guages from a coupe'; very good condish' interior and some new/newish engine parts, radiator etc etc plus tow bar (no hook) Brakes and box etc all otherwise.

Ideas/suggestions???? C'mon...throw me a bone here! :eek:

....so much for this idea!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
could you not try and source second hand engine that looks tidy car,
would be shame to break it or scrap it .

Jon

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
could you not try and source second hand engine that looks tidy car,
would be shame to break it or scrap it .

Jon
I know, just spoke to All Audi in Bristol and they said they don't have any engines as they stopped doing this version of the famous 5 cly unit in 1991. then he said even if he did have one we're talking £200-£250 + about the same again + VAT for fitting.

He said almost no value to them as salvage due to them dealing more in late models now. Just stings as I spent £300 on it just a few weeks back.....but this + reapiring it, plus purchase price etc makes it an expensive classic....where does one draw the line? Good money after bad? The guy at the breakers laughed when I mentioned 'sentimental' value! Yeam maybe just 'mental value at this rate.

Even if the head ir repairable I've still been quoted £400-£500 +VAT.......think I might just cut my losses and go for an old-skool Polo Wagen or summat???

:confused:

·
RIP
1,381 Posts
Shame to see one die as those really are pocket rockets. From the short time I had a road worthy 90 the thing blasted down roads, and the engine sound great!

I scrapped mine and made my cost back from selling the lights and rear light centre panel, a door and a slightly different spoiler than yours. So a clever bit of ebay might get you a bonus before sending to a scrappy.

Mmmmm, maybe its a candidate for a scrappage bonus, have you had it a year?

Another option is find another 90 with dodgy body work but good engine and drop that engine in. £250 should get you one. Put the engine in yourself over a weekend.

Shame, my 90 engine is now on a stand, new belts, pump everything....ready to drop in the T4.

IF YOU DO SCRAP IT CAN I HAVE ALL THE PIPEWORK????? AND ANYTHING ELSE THAT BOLTS ON TO THE BLOCK AS SPARES?????

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aircon: Sadly not.

Scrappage bonus: ain't you got to buy a brand new car to get that? The fact that I could only afford this thing in the first place kind of puts that idea to bed.

Engine swap myself? Over a weekend! Wouldn't really trust my own expertise level on that (you might make it sound easy...) but if I could at least find one of these brill engines I'd pay someone to do it.....just couldn't afford garage prices. I've posed it to a couple of mates who are mechanics but no one interested (my own dad's a brilliant mechanic but I know the answer I'd get on this one...all the VW's and campers he's been roped into fixing for me in the past....think he deserves a bit of respite....plus he'd say no!).

Might just stick it out the way and take a few bits off before I scap it then.....breakers will give the same regardless if it's only scrap metal value to them anyway I guess!

Sigh!:(

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
na dont scrap i looks too clean.
cant you find a audi forum etc and find a petrol head to buy it,
used to own a k reg 2.0l years ago almost as much fun as the mk2 golf gti i had as well.T:

·
Banned
310 Posts
Hi
I that looks like a sweet Audi, had a few in the past and just pick up and 1985 Audi 80 GL last night to try a revive it. It would be a shame to scrap it, does'nt that model have the gavanised bodyshell? I have just joined the Audi forum www.classic-audi.co.uk i bet these guys would be able to help you out.
Paul

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi
I that looks like a sweet Audi, had a few in the past and just pick up and 1985 Audi 80 GL last night to try a revive it. It would be a shame to scrap it, does'nt that model have the gavanised bodyshell? I have just joined the Audi forum www.classic-audi.co.uk i bet these guys would be able to help you out.
Paul
Thanks Paul: yes this one is galvanised and it is a real shame to scrap it but reapir for me just seems to be a false economy....would be o.k if I could do the mechanics myself as it's the labour cost that is the main expense, I've been offered several engines from the Audi forums (try www.audifans.net too, that is a really good one) as low as £100! Everyone says they are easy to fit....but what's easy for one person is near impossible for the next. I think this would be better to go to someone who likes this model and has some tech skills to sort it.

For now I'm just parking it up SORN until I think of an idea, might just let it go to someone else who needs it for spare though....see what I'll get offered/swoped for it!

Thnking of getting an old Golf for wheels in the meantime.......everyone approve of that?;)

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
you could end up with a lemon with the golf why not repair the audi you know what its like and done the tyres and exhaust and you could be that much different :cool:

·
Registered
416 Posts
:eek: store it, I would love to have one of those in that condition.
You can sell it any dayT:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ditto the above - I have just texted a friend who has the same car, on the road but a little tattier. I hope you don't mind me asking.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would LOVE to keep it and fix it one day but my life just too hectic right now and I don't have the space (and desperately trying to fix up the house, which SHE annoyingly makes me prioritise for some reason!)...............LOL:

..........salvageable? DEFINITELY!!!

Just make me an offer.........if you got no cash offer a swap.....don't mind how weired.....let's make a game of it........ :D

..........(better that than scrapping it, which will be my next move if no one wants it).

·
RIP
1,381 Posts
They are such excellent cars....My melding of my 90 into the T4 is now gathering pace. This is how mine looked just before Mr Scrapman came with a hoist...I sold enough from it to pay for the engine which is now out, new pump, belts, sandblasted...fettled, etc.

If someone buys your car I'lll gladly throw in the spare lights I kept but didnt sell. Always useful. And I am documenting what it takes to put that beaut of an engine into a T4 so when Ive finished whover has your car can always contemplate a meld like mine....

I still remember the grin on my mates face as he drove past me on the M25..I seriously thought the brakes had failed and the accelerator jammed....It was THAT fast.

The shape has a timeless quality about it. Or rather people are always surprised how old they actually are.

·
T4 Custom trailer maker
1,916 Posts
So what do you need then ???????????

How about a nice cement mixer to help with the house renovations ??

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So what do you need then ???????????

How about a nice cement mixer to help with the house renovations ??
This is Mrs Surfdaddy here, taking over the Con (the 'SHE' that HE referred to)! Did that man say 'help with house renovations'???? Now that's an offer! You could swap your Cement Mixer with Surfhubby but he'd probably make it into a piece if insallation art! We currently have a few projects on our actual house (y'know... that big square thing we live in....take note SD), so let us know what you're good at and if you can spare a little time when you come get his '80's calssic'. Or......just bring cash so I can drag him to B&Q at least!

Are you a builder then? If you are coming up I'll make sure I get the sugar supplies in for the tea;) (is that what builders use the Cement Mixer for really?)

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
......ahem! Sorry about that BF, SD back at the Laptop now!:eek:

I think the Mrs wants to trade me in as well! Careful, she's trying to press-gang you as a DIY consultant if you're not careful. In fact I'm pretty good as the old house project........o.k, not the fastest but nowt wrong with 'slow and thorough' is there? (my excuse anyway).

So.......Cement Mixer eh? I do need to sort my back drive at some point and a Mixer takes up far less space than an Audi.....not sure it's at the top of me' shopping list right now though.....and I have been offered a Monkey Bike for it (clearly of far more 'practical' value than tools right?;))........any advance on a Cement Mixer then?T:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts