VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Raven Blue L Shape Camper Conversion & FaceLift

Hi Guys, now ive got a load of pics together i thought i would do a build thread, i wasn't really taking pics of everything so some things will just appear as i go on!

I sold my audi A4 s line to buy the van it was a amazing car full of gadgets but it was just lacking something it never broke and it was just a bit boring really, i really wanted a T5 i used to own a T4 but at the time never had time to convert it but now my works closer and im not working sundays anymore i went for it.

Old A4

After lots of searching and lots of lemons i set a saved search on ebay on my phone it alerted me of one in Mansfield only 8 miles from my house! i went to view it and bought it, its a kombi/shuttle im not too sure which its a car on the logbook? its got parking sensors, tailgate, cruise control and loads of other nice bits inc a heater thing underneath it, the guy used it for his adventure business taking people diving and kayaking in Switzerland and france, its got 170k on the clock but 35k miles ago it had a brand new gearbox, clutch and flywheel and then the engine blew up on him so he had the top end replaced all brand new new turbo and all other bits and the bottom fully rebuilt so it drives like new, ive had to replace a few bushes and what not but other than that its a really nice van.

He also gave me the single front seat it was basically new he removed it straight away for a fold down double and it opens up for storage, i sold it to a guy on here.

Had to drop the rear tank to remove some of the seat clamps.

First thing i did was strip it all out in the back and remove the rear heater.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Next was the floor, i got loads of insulation and sound proofing off surfslammer on here i cant remember what sort it is but its big black stick on sheets of it all proper stuff it was great to use i had tons of the soundproofing left so i covered the entire floor in it as well, i did the usual 9mm ply to batten out the floor and 9mm ply on top so it all lined up with my step and bigger rear threshold.

I got some of the altro flooring off moonie on here its great stuff proper heavy duty if i had of put normal lino down it would be covered in holes by now.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The carpeting went a hell of alot better than i thought i thought it would be the worst part but it came out really nice i creased one bit on the wheel arch but its covered anyway and i have plenty of pics to come im just trying to organize them a bit.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Next thing was some curtains, i got some from veedub transporters the prestige kit.

The curtains are really nice quality and the channel is pre formedish.. it needed a bit of manipulating to make it a perfect fit but when its all in they open super smooth no catching or anything and they button to the sides of the van so there proper black out, i had to cut the rear bottom curtain rail in half though as i have a rear wiper and there made for just a window.

Rail before

Rail after a beat with a rubber mallet they bend really well.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Then i decided i needed some lows nearly all my prev vags where scraping the floor so coilovers it was, i had used joms for cheap lows on cars before and they where great for the money i even took a set 3k miles around Europe inc the ring on a mk4 golf so i got a set for the van, there pretty good now i have changed droplinks, top mounts, front rear wishbone bushes and bottom balljoints, they ride great for £250 there just a bit bouncy.

Pikey balljoint remover.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Then i took a trip to xtremevan to get a few goodies

Waeco CR50
Smev 9222
Couple of clean and waste water containers
Table leg but ive now bought a seqouia one off t4chippy i think his name is? on here after surfslammer recommended it
4 led touch lights
loads of other bits like wire ect..

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Then i started on the interior, i went for T4life unit after all the good reviews he gets, the unit was as expected, very very good, the only thing was i had a smev with a left side sink and this was made for a right hand sink so i emailed them and they sent another out to me asap but again it was for a right hand sink... i couldn't be bothered to email or complain so i just cut it out myself, but then it didnt fit right so now the back splashback bit is slightly bend around my smev it looks great though and it fits now so its all good.

After i chopped the unit to fit my smev

Fitted a CBE socket to it for my TV which is mounted off the roof above it, i wanted to make it a bit more hidden but the tv will only be in there for longer camping trips.

TV finally working, the cbe sockets aren't all that good it wasn't getting a good connection and i was faffing for ages trying to figure out what was wrong.

necvox ariel from park my auto i think it was, it gets amazing signal anywhere ive tried it and its tiny.

TV mount £6 off ebay all i did was drill pilot holes and i used the screws that you would use for brickwork and its solid i can hang off it if i wanted to, and you can tighten the hinges up so its nice and solid but sill adjusts easy.

·
Premium Member
3,763 Posts
Then i started on the interior, i went for T4life unit after all the good reviews he gets, the unit was as expected, very very good, the only thing was i had a smev with a left side sink and this was made for a right hand sink so i emailed them and they sent another out to me asap but again it was for a right hand sink... i couldn't be bothered to email or complain so i just cut it out myself, but then it didnt fit right so now the back splashback bit is slightly bend around my smev it looks great though and it fits now so its all good.

After i chopped the unit to fit my smev

Fitted a CBE socket to it for my TV which is mounted off the roof above it, i wanted to make it a bit more hidden but the tv will only be in there for longer camping trips.

TV finally working, the cbe sockets aren't all that good it wasn't getting a good connection and i was faffing for ages trying to figure out what was wrong.

necvox ariel from park my auto i think it was, it gets amazing signal anywhere ive tried it and its tiny.

TV mount £6 off ebay all i did was drill pilot holes and i used the screws that you would use for brickwork and its solid i can hang off it if i wanted to, and you can tighten the hinges up so its nice and solid but sill adjusts easy.

sorry pal i should of said you just turn it around for a l/h its a mirror image T:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts