VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have probably finished work on it for the time being but here is the work so far:

2007 Sportline LWB Kombi
Conversion to twin captains seats in front
All seats leather covered with sportline logo
Conversion from barn to tailgate
New electrics to rear for wiper and screen wash including heated rear window
New sliding window in pax offside
Power outlets in rear and passenger area
Removable towbar
Cruise control added
Padded flooring throughout
New Alpine system with bluetooth phone system, bluetooth ipod suystem and ipod lead
Roof rails fitted with thule cross bars
Thule roof system for kayaks / canoe
Full insulated and carpeted through out

External shots below....but will get some internals when it has stopped raining !!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK so will try and get some more photos up, if you want to see the inside...nothing glamerous as it is a sports van and so no camping stuff to get in the way....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't see any pics either :confused:
And who done your tailgate conversion?
Thx
Ahh the pictures well, got to build the suspence and it would appear your missing some, the very special ones that dont show up on computer screens :):)

The tailgate conversion was done by JAS Conversions in Weston Super Mare....its a Caravelle tailgate that was fitted.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those pictures of the inside...nothing glamerous - beds, cupboards etc, but left for kayaks, mountain bikes, dogs etc...

Forgot to mention have had front and rear parkign sensors fitted - audio / visual as fitted to mercedes cars - actually tyh same company that retrofits MB OEM though the main dealers.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Have probably finished work on it for the time being but here is the work so far:

2007 Sportline LWB Kombi
Conversion to twin captains seats in front
All seats leather covered with sportline logo
Conversion from barn to tailgate
New electrics to rear for wiper and screen wash including heated rear window
New sliding window in pax offside
Power outlets in rear and passenger area
Removable towbar
Cruise control added
Padded flooring throughout
New Alpine system with bluetooth phone system, bluetooth ipod suystem and ipod lead
Roof rails fitted with thule cross bars
Thule roof system for kayaks / canoe
Full insulated and carpeted through out

External shots below....but will get some internals when it has stopped raining !!!

Loving the Thule system for the boats, never seen this before thought that only karitek made this type of system. Where id you buy it and how much did it cost, if you don't mind me asking?
Andy

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Roof System

HI Andy,

The full story...

I have seen these whilst working in South Africa, USA etc and so I contacted Thule in the UK as no retailer had even heard of them.

It turns out that they are only sold in the USA, Canada, South Africa, Australia and New Zealandm because I quote:

"The European health & safety processes and regulations are stupid and too much and kayakers in Europe are too tight to pay for them!" So after saying a polite F**K You, I asked where do I buy them and was told off an online retailer like Amazon.com!

So I bought two sets off Amazon USA who shipped the two systems and my total bill was about £1050 inclusive of import duty, shipping etc. All depends on exchange rates etc.

This sounds alot but a Karitek system for my van would have been £800 because I carry sea kayaks and a canoe etc and so had to have all the extra bits which meant that each time I would have to adapt the whole system and also it still was too heavy for my wife to push the boats onto the roof as you bring downthe whole thing on oneside with no assistance.

The Thule system is independant each side, is gas assisted (like tailgates on cars etc) and so we can have just one side, both sides and each one adapts to the width of each boat at the turn of a butterfly nut and not major meccano systems like Karitek.

So my wife can load her own sea kayak on to the roof on her own and bring it back down with no physical strength or stress on her back.

Because of the price there are not many in the UK with this system, in fact I may be the only one but I wanted a system that was flexible, easy to use and detachbale leaving only the cross bars in place - all done in less than 1 minute for each unit so when not in use it all comes off.

Hope that helps, but if you want more info, pm me for my mobile number....

·
Registered
79 Posts
I must admit the thule does look much better and easier to use than the karitek. Like you I'd also contacted Thule UK about the 897XT Hullavator, Thule UK were useless saying the same thing - buy from Amazon!

Have you found any negatives for using the Hullavator at all?

I was sure that our german friends must have engineered something of a similar design (and cheaper to import) but have yet to find anything apart from Karitek in UK and the discontinued Sherpas bars.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Amazon UK are now selling them £716.02 for one. Found it on the USA site for $470.95, (£293,77) now I know there is shipping and import tax to pay but, looks like once again we are being rippled off!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts